Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Gold Dust: Tough love Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

From Gold Dust, thoughts to strengthen us to correct and discipline our children:

"Who is anxious for a beloved one's eternal welfare? We interest ourselves for their success, their prosperity; we ask God to keep them from harm and misfortune; we try to start them well in the world, to make them of reputation, to procure them pleasure. To spare them trouble, we sacrifice our own ease and enjoyment...Oh, that is all very beautiful, very right; but what should we do for the soul?... Do we help him, unseen, towards that act of charity, humiliation, or self-renunciation? Have we courage not to spare the soul the trial that we know will purify?
Does it seem too hard for you? Ah! then you do not know what real love is. Does not God love us? Yet God lets us suffer; even sends the suffering.
Love is given us to help us onwards, nearer to God. The most blessed is that which draws us nearest to Him; and in proportion as it leads to God we realize its blessedness.
The essence of true love is not its tenderness, but its strength, power of endurance, its purity, its self-renunciation.
The mistake we make is when we seek to be beloved, instead of loving. What makes us cowardly is the fear of losing that love.
Never forget this: A selfish heart desires love for itself; a Christian heart delights to love--without return."

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Very timely! Thanks, Caroline!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Nique

"a Christian heart delights to love--without return"

That's something I've always struggled with..to simply be happy GIVING expecting nothing, even a "thank you" in return!
Then when I'm feeling sorry for myself, I'll think about Jesus, Who asked the man (whom came back to thank Jesus after he was cured) where the other 9 were..even Jesus would have appreciated being thanked..
Sigh..will have to work on humbling myself and offering it up to Him on behalf of those who don't thank Him enough.. and that's including myself

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Caroline,

who wrote this? You say it is from Gold Dust. A book I assume? Just wondering if the book is availble.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

LLMom wrote:
Caroline,

who wrote this? You say it is from Gold Dust. A book I assume? Just wondering if the book is availble.

The book is available in used copies on Amazon. I ordered a copy and plan on doing my own copywork from it. Thank you, Caroline!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2009 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

The information on this book is in the "joy" post, but here it is again:
The title is Gold Dust and it is anonymously written. It was edited by Charlotte Yonge, and published in 1897 by Henry Altemus of Philadelphia. I actually found it when our local parish had a sale of antique books which had been donated by someone in the area. I glad it is available for purchase, because it has such practical and yet inspirational advice. Many of the "nuggets" deal with areas that we as homeschooling Catholic mothers experience every day: interruptions, difficult personalities, self-renunciation, carrying the cross of our daily duties. I hope you benefit from and enjoy it as much as I have.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version