Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Ranger Apprentice- A Big Thank You Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 01 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I don't remember who mentioned this series here. Whoever you are, a great big THANK YOU My son (12) is completely taken by the series. He just finished book 5 and his dismay was great when he realized the next book hasn't been released in the U.S. yet. Even my 15 yo dd is hooked on it now.

Thanks again,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Amen to that!! It is Erin in Australia who started it all of for us - all my children are totally hooked, They want to go to Australia just to get the books that are not yet released in the US!!

And if you go to Erin's blog she has so many cool ideas. My dd is hoping to make Rangers Apprentice cloaks for her twin brothers 10th birthday.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh my oldest read the first four in just a few days...he has since gotten his hands on the fifth and anxiously awaits the others. He moved on from those to the Percy Jackson books which he read equally as fast. Now he's working his way through Redwall...thank goodness for good books that boys love!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My ds loves those, too.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2009 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I've read lots of good reviews on this series and am anxious to get them for my sons but then I came across something in an Amazon review about "religious whackos" in volume 8. Does anyone know about this? Erin?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We love the books here too.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Erin gets the from my son (and ME!!). She inspired us to read the books which inspired an awesome Ranger's Apprentice themed birthday party which completed delighted a certain 11 year old boy who just had me check again this morning the date that The Siege of Macindaw is being released in the US. (August 4th, in case you're interested!)

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 09 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

http://www.rangersapprentice.com/index.htm

Interesting! I have a five year old that will love these some day. Guess I will get them and read them myself. He knew right away when I opened the web site that it was Rangers! I didn't even say anything to him! Wow.
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm hearing my husband reading the third book aloud to all of the dc as I type! :) These are a HIT here.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I'm looking for a good book to listen to on audio on our vacation this summer - I was leaning towards beginning the Redwall books (oldest ds has read them all but the rest of us haven't started them yet). Would the Ranger's Apprentice be a good choice for that? We'll have ds16 (who may just listen to his ipod but I'd love to find something he'd like as well), ds9 and dd almost 8.

karen T in Md
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote Erin

The Latest Ranger's Apprentice book (No. 10) was released in Australia three days ago!!!!

My 3 teens had a reading rotation and had all read it within the first 24hours. Now I have it in my hands.

We're big fans here.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Apparently I need to start a list of all these books my now-six-year old will love in a few years! These look awesome!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

BrendaPeter wrote:
I've read lots of good reviews on this series and am anxious to get them for my sons but then I came across something in an Amazon review about "religious whackos" in volume 8. Does anyone know about this? Erin?

Thx!

It's a cult, Brenda.

We are HUGE fans here, too. I let my 13-yo read the books based on the recommendations here. I have to admit I was pretty suspicious even after seeing it here, because I had seen the books at B&N and Borders for a while and they were beside other books that looked occultish to me. After 13-yo read it he bugged me for several months to read it (I can't ever catch up, they have a huge pile of books they want me to pre-read, plus my own books that I'm reading!) and when I finally did, I (and 19-yo) got so addicted that I pre-ordered Book 9 and got it the day it came out here in the US. I'm seriously considering purchasing Book 10 from Australia.

One thing -- I thought Book 8 was a little too violent for my 11-yo so I had him stop reading at Book 7. I'm reconsidering though...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

stefoodie wrote:
   I have to admit I was pretty suspicious even after seeing it here, because I had seen the books at B&N and Borders for a while and they were beside other books that looked occultish to me.

Stef, I had the same reaction when I saw the covers after hearing great reviews here. I have had two friends basically think I have "gone over to the dark side" by recommending these books. However, this is definitely a case were you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I do believe that the US covers were marketed to ride on the coat tales of the Harry Potter success, which is a shame because they aren't really very similar and I do think it has turned off the more discerning Mother.

Also, my DH who had read all of the books said initially he was worried that the books would get into the sorcery/white magic type thing. He is happy to say that even though the author flirted with these topics they were always resolved by being a misconception or deception NOT magic.

Right now these books have been our #1 birthday present for 10yo boys. Although getting a book isn't the coolest for a b-day, the boys have always been happy after they read it!!!!!!!!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

My DD is being very brave and has asked me to put it away for her for christmas.
I don't think I have the heart.. I will purchase it and leave it out as a surprise I think.
Great series... my dd loves them..Thanks Erin and Gae for drawing my attention to them

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

leanne maree wrote:
My DD is being very brave and has asked me to put it away for her for Christmas.
I don't think I have the heart.. I will purchase it and leave it out as a surprise I think.
Great series... my dd loves them..Thanks Erin and Gae for drawing my attention to them

That is SERIOUS self-restraint!!! My dc were away at the time of the latest release, they asked their Grandmother if there was a bookstore in her little seaside town and organised the readings around my dd driving. By the time they arrived home the next afternoon the third child was up to his reading slot. This one is very fat I'm currently three-thirds the way through.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version