Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Games/Software for Multiplication Facts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

A fellow dance mom is looking for some creative ways to teach her daughter multiplication facts. Her daughter's teacher informed her that teaching the math facts is the parents' job, as they aren't covered during school time.

Needless to say, she's planning to spend some time over the summer working on multiplication facts with her daughter.

All suggestions appreciated!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

this is a great online (hence FREE) resource.. kids ASK to do it.. and not just mine but other ladies who I've given it to.

Math is Fun Multiplication trainer

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

My kids like to play Timez Attack at Multiplication.com.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

math facts

This one is for all math facts. you decide which operation and then the number range (1-5) (1-10)

My kids like it.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

Gracie is playing Timez Attack even as I type this - we bought the full version with the $10 referral coupon
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I have had a child who struggled to memorize her multiplication facts (and addition and subtraction before that). Since we use Math-U-See, we have really had to slow things down as Demme is very firm about memorizing facts before moving on in the lesson book.

I ordered the book Time Tables the Fun Way along with its companion CD rom, Times Alive! Multiplication Magic CD-ROM.

I got a good deal as a dear friend ordered these as a bundle. I would say that they both stand alone but if I had to choose, I would get the CD ROM. I also got matching flash cards.

This program uses stories and visual clues to help kids remember their facts. Example: "You have to be 16, to drive a 4 x4."

A quote from the book's introduction:

"All students are able to learn times tables with this method, but we see the greatest improvement over conventional methods among the students that struggle with repetitive drill...These students require a different learning strategy. Often these are the students that excel in language skills or have artistic talents (A HA--this is my dd!!). Memorizing numbers is not only difficult, but sometimes impossible. No amount of drill and practice will acheive the desired results. Students in the higher grades, including adults, that have not mastered the times tables are finally able to succeed and memorize the facts with the aid of the visualization and association techniques provided by the picture-story method."

It worked for us!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

mimip wrote:
math facts
Mimi -- this is very cool ... I like that you can choose which operation and how fast and numbers ... I also really like the keypad on screen ... Jodie's one doesn't have a keypad on screen and I know that it would slow my kids down just trying to find the numbers! Also, math facts gives you a cool stat sheet at the end to print ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jody
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jody

My kids have used Captain Jax math facts for years and they really like it. However, it seems to be double the price now .

Jody

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version