Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Amazon Prime Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Anyone have it?

Do you like it?

Do you love it?

Why?

If you've had it over a year, do you feel the cost of annual membership in the program ($79) was offset by the amount of shipping $$ you saved over the year, as well as gas and time savings?

I'd love to hear what you think about this program.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I love it! I have had it for a couple of years and it is really worth it. Just Christmas shopping alone almost covers the cost of shipping I think. I love the 2 day shipping. I am so spoiled now! One day shipping is only $3.99 which I have used a number of times.

I also do a lot of grocery shopping through amazon and get free shipping with that as well.

I rarely go out shopping these days. I look for free shipping offers when I need to buy online. I find I can get most of what I need from Amazon Prime.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Love it!!!!! Molly covered most of the same reasons why I love it!

I feel no guilt when I order one little picture book---usually I would wait for a big order and then discover I didn't have the money to spend at one time.

I too, have used the $3.99 one day shipping. This is great for that "one special book" that would add so much to a day a learning or for a book about a special feast day ,arriving quicker than I realize.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I have it but the problem is that it is so easy, it's hard on the budget! The good thing has been dd at Seton needing a book for English Lit "tomorrow" and our being able to get it -- no matter how esoteric!

I don't think I'd re-up next year ... but I do agree with Joann and Molly that there are great benefits -- but $75 worth? I'd rather delay gratification and get the books on free shipping and slow boat (but I'm notoriously cheap! )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I love it, but I agree with MaryG, I'm not sure it actually is saving me money. The temptation to order more is great! Also, you should be aware that it doesn't apply to books sold through Amazon by other sellers, so all of the used or out-of-print titles still have shipping charges. I'll still go ahead and renew though, because I always THINK I'm going to get a grip on my book-buying proclivities !

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Totally saves us money. Before I signed up for it, I went back through a year's worth of orders (you can do that on the Amazon site). I tallied up the amount of shipping we did pay and it was about $100. That year also included some free shipping orders too, but those you have to wait on. I was getting so tired of ordering some things that were delayed and then delayed and then delayed again. Then I'd adjust the order back to pay for shipping and it would come with two days. I decided it was worth it for saving money and for saving time.

Mary's right though...makes it easier to buy too many things!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 28 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

You've all touched on some of the main reasons I'm trying it. I've found that I'm using Amazon more to its potential with it over this month. Like, when I ran out of printer paper, rather than adding it to my list and now having to schlep everyone through the big store that sell everything...I just found it on Amazon prime (for a little less than I normally pay) and ordered it. It will be here tomorrow. So, thinking in terms of what kind of awkward, big, out of the ordinary items I'd have to specialty shop for and then finding them at Amazon saves me major time, gas, and headache in ordering them that way.

I do like you Joann...I consider something...add it to my cart....then my cart gets so full that it takes me forever to save for. And, I hardly ever used to one-click-order because without Amazon prime I'd have to wait and build a cart to get $25 of picture books in there...but then of course, there'd be more than $25 worth of picture books...

NOW!! I just one-click-order it. And, it's here in no time at all. I'm trying to make sure I do this within my normal weekly allowance.

So, I think using Amazon outside of books - for things like some groceries (esp. those that aren't at my normal grocery store requiring another trip somewhere for me) and household items and office/paper supplies will make this more worthwhile. I did go back and forth because I do buy a lot of books used on Amazon and they aren't covered...but I've found that now, there are quite a few that are. If a vendor is "guaranteed fulfilled by Amazon" they offer prime shipping options. So, I might not get the 1 cent deal (with $3.99 shipping) but, I did get a $4.00 deal (same total amount I would have spent before, but now on my doorstep in 2 days rather than waiting weeks since most Marketplace sellers ship via media mail.) It's mostly a convenience savings...but it's nice.

I'm really thinking of subscribing ladies, and I'm glad to hear that some of you really enjoy it...and glad to hear the cautions about the temptation to blow the budget. I need to hear that. Perhaps I'll try it for a year and see.

Anybody else wanna tell me your love story with Amazon Prime?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
I love it, but I agree with MaryG, I'm not sure it actually is saving me money. The temptation to order more is great! Also, you should be aware that it doesn't apply to books sold through Amazon by other sellers, so all of the used or out-of-print titles still have shipping charges. I'll still go ahead and renew though, because I always THINK I'm going to get a grip on my book-buying proclivities !

I discontinued ours this year. That $$$ was too much for upfront. I was spoiled by the fast shipping, but like Caroline mentions, I was still paying shipping for many books, as I buy a lot of OOP or used books. So it wasn't helping me. And I usually only use Amazon for books or music. And I've also had to curtail my buying those, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

teachingmyown wrote:
I love it! I have had it for a couple of years and it is really worth it. Just Christmas shopping alone almost covers the cost of shipping I think. I love the 2 day shipping. I am so spoiled now! One day shipping is only $3.99 which I have used a number of times.

I also do a lot of grocery shopping through amazon and get free shipping with that as well.

I rarely go out shopping these days. I look for free shipping offers when I need to buy online. I find I can get most of what I need from Amazon Prime.

Molly, I'm trying to do more online shopping too. Can you tell me more about the grocery thing? I didn't realize Amazon Prime applies to groceries as well????

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

You can order your groceries (dry goods) to be delivered on a schedule you determine and they ship automatically, no shipping charges. You get a discount off of the already discounted price for subscribing to an item. You can skip shipments or have them sent sooner.

Honestly, I am not sure you even need Prime to get the free shipping on the food. And not everything is cheaper or significantly cheaper. But the stuff that is, you can't beat the convenience!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

We signed up for Amazon Prime last Christmas for some last minute gifts and I think it paid for itself right there ... our other options were expensive on the shipping to get the items in time. (Nothing like being on top of things!)
Last week, Mary Ellen and I were participating in a math and science webinar and we ordered books using Amazon Prime during the webinar. We both had them on our doorstep the next day at lunchtime!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

teachingmyown wrote:

Honestly, I am not sure you even need Prime to get the free shipping on the food. And not everything is cheaper or significantly cheaper. But the stuff that is, you can't beat the convenience!

This is true--you don't need Amazon Prime to use this feature. It's called Subscribe and Save and it is not heavily promoted on the site. I use it for several items and it is great: free shipping, an extra discount, scheduled delivery AND they give you several days warning about the next delivery and you can cancel, change, get things sooner, etc. at no extra charge and without losing any discount.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jennifer,
Jumping in late. I like my amazon prime account A LOT. For Christmas shopping alone, it is worth it. I concur with everyone else, too on the other benefits and drawbacks. I have had to turn off my one-click so I have to "think" before I click...otherwise, the UPS man would pull up and I would have already forgotten what I had ordered...how sad is that? I was a one-click monster!

Can anyone give a tutorial on how to do subscribe and save or post a link to information on how to sign up or research? I can't find any info. on amazon's site except the products available... I do not use this option and it sounds very intriguing...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Here is some Subscribe and Save info. You don't need to sign up for the program--you just browse for products. You can browse only S&S items but the entire site will show you a little blue box when the item is eligible telling you that you can save an extra 15% with S&S. Then, instead of clicking on the one-click bubble or the "add to shopping cart" bubble you select your subscription schedule below that and it takes you through the next steps to subscribe to the item. Here is an example of an eligible product. Don't worry if you don't like the delivery schedule options because you can change it at any time very easily and with no penalty. We get diapers through this service and I basically just go and order a new case when we hit the last package of the old case. But it also sends reminders if you need those! You can manage your subscriptions through "My Account."

Any other questions I can answer for you?

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I love it also. I have'nt used it as much recently, but I still think I've gotten the benefit of having it.

One idea is right before it expires, stock up and then let it lapse for a few months till you need it again. I do this also with Costco or Sams. I know when I'm up for renewal and make a last minute trip. Then i'll just put it off for a little whil before I renew. It helps extned out the time you need it.

I recently ordered a camera through Amazon Prime. It was great because I had no idea my camera was broken until we were at the Science museum recently and I needed my camera quick becasue I had planned to take pictures of the girls in the bluebonnets before they faded. I had it overnighted for only $3.99.

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

My dh got the prime one year to order last minute Christmas gifts for me. I thought it was crazy at the time, but we've used it a lot. We got it again this year. The Christmas shopping with no shipping fees and going out only once or twice to stores is worth it to me. I've never tried the one day shipping. I really like knowing that if I order my nephew a puzzle the week before his birthday party - it'll be at my home in two days. It's so convenient.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Susan,
Thank you for the tutorial!    
Off to figure out what I need!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

When I had a trial "membership" to Amazon Prime, it WAS fun, but not worth the money. I almost always use super saver shipping or order from a 3rd party.

So for me: fun but expensive.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Jen L. wrote:

So for me: fun but expensive.

Oh, same for me. I loved the free trial! but, I always use the SS shipping. So, Prime is great, but not necessary for me. I just have to be patient to wait for the slooooooow shipping. But, I can't justify $80 for faster shipping.

If it was $40 I would probably do it. Maybe even $50. But $80 is just too much.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Love it love it love it!!!! Actually we are signed up for prime with other family members.. so splitting the cost for sign up may be an idea if you have family that are interested.. ( I think it is maybe 4 family members can be added)

I look at Amazon before anything else for all of those gifts I need to send out of state.

I do have a habit of saving for later a book I may be interested in as not to "impulse buy"
Prime does allow for a purchase that you need right away ( and don't really want to spend the $25)
I also do Subscribe and save for diapers and wipes for those days I don't want to deal with cloth diapers. 15% discount there.. once you are in your account and see your S&S item, you can go shopping for more S&S items

We are actually signed up under my SIL's account.. maybe something like that may work for you.

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version