Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Help me start nature journals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 24 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

I need some practical advice for my little clan. My kids spend a lot of time outside, and we infomally study nature all the time. Right now they are learning as much as I know, but I would like to add nature journaling and provide a more well-rounded and deeper experience for them.

How do you help your kids start journaling at the younger ages? I would love to have my kids draw the birds that we see, but the birds just don't sit still long enough. Same with bugs and pretty much any other mobile object.    The kids get frustrated with their lack of drawing skills, but I can't help much since I'm usually trying to keep the littlest ones safe and away from the attractive journaling supplies.

My clan is pretty young - 4 kids 7yo & younger.

Thanks
Jennifer
Back to Top View MNMommy's Profile Search for other posts by MNMommy

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 24 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

We have a collection of nature cards put out by our local extension office that contain local plants/bugs animals birds etc in different ecosystems- ie oak forest, wetland. We flip through if we see something we want to draw that doesnt hold still.

You could get a regular feild guide or call your extension office to see if they have a suggestion.

I have made image checklists for my littlest ones and we do an I spy type game. If they see a bird for instance they can circle the bird on their mini clip board , you can put clip art or stickers of water/land features, animals etc.

I have done a few differnt sheets for the different seasons   and locals we go to and always put weather choices on top. We tape them in their books at home.

I wish I could explain these better I'll have to take a picture.

We keep a little plastic jar in our stroller to temporarily hold bugs while we draw them. But usually we forget

We have a hard time balancing drawing time with running around time esp. if we are with a group so my oldest will ask me to take a picture then draws from it later when we break for lunch or get home.

At this point we just take one pencil on a string tied to their clipboard/journal and use colored pencils or crayon to fill in at home to avoid dealing with losing art supplies.

We use alot of tape/ self laminating sheets to stick fallen leaves and petals into their books too.

Mostly just enjoy your walks Jennifer- mine4 are about the same age as yours and sometimes we remeber to get out our clip boards and sometimes not, but hey we got out the door !

God Bless- Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

I have a "scheduled" day of the week for nature learning. Of course when it's spring we are out doing nature everyday. But once a week we take out our nature journals and will write down something we see, do or learned new. It may be as simple as pressing a flower from the garden in the nature journal and then writing it's name from a guide book. I keep all of our nature journals in one bag. This bag also has random loose paper, birding field guide (one page from our local Nature Center), a list from DNR for us to mark the birds we see, pencils, crayons for rubbings of trees or gravestones, or whatever that we can't bring home, a compass, several sets of binoculars, a magnifying glass, a bug collection box from insect lore that compacts when no bugs are in it, a few granola bars and fruit leather...and perhaps more things but that's all I can think of. I find that the best discoveries are made when we aren't with friends. My kids seem to focus better when we are without their playmates. I do join other families weekly for nature hikes, but these are just social skills learning and less learning about nature.

We have begun letterboxing along side our nature journaling. This goes into our nature journals as well.
www.letterboxing.org
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We did lots of drawings of things that don't move.....leafs, trees, acorns, etc. Or draw the animals from pictures or magazines, after seeing them outdoors.

There are GREAT GREAT articles/blog posts about this at Barb's Handbook of Nature Study.....she has lots of links on her right side bar....and a few specific things about younger children. Keep scrolling down....

Here are a couple:
Examples of 8 and under drawings
Nature Study for Young People

This is completely overwhelming....but something to "chew on" for the next year or so, or even to give ideas, or things to think about:
Drawing with Children

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 27 2009 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I think you've gotten lots of great options and suggestions above. As these posts show nature journaling doesn't have to be about drawing. An important aspect of nature study (leading to journaling in future) is just cultivating the habit of observation in nature.

Specifically about "drawing" though, maybe a way to start, especially with those moving subjects like birds or insects is to use coloring pages. The basics of shape are there - the children just add the colors and textures, things like that for a start to record observations. I was looking on line hoping to find a great on-line source for field guide coloring pages. There are some pages that would work at Enchanted Learning or similar sites. Just pick commonly seen subjects for your area.

There are some nice coloring book field guides available for purchase from Peterson.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MNMommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote MNMommy

I wanted to come back and thank everyone for your replies. It's been a while, but our nature study is going well. We have always been an active family who enjoys the wonders of the outdoors. Now my oldest two have started official journals, and they are so proud! Your nudges and suggestions helped give me the confidence to just do it.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MNMommy wrote:
It's been a while, but our nature study is going well. We have always been an active family who enjoys the wonders of the outdoors. Now my oldest two have started official journals, and they are so proud! Your nudges and suggestions helped give me the confidence to just do it.

That's great, Jennifer! Thanks for coming back for the update.   Autumn is such a great time for nature study! Here's to a great rest of the year in the outdoors!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version