Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Kids not learning from mistakes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

This is why I'm losing my mind: my kids don't seem to learn from their own mistakes or listen to me.

A few minutes ago, we were outside at the swingset. The 3yo was told to be careful and not walk near the swinging swings - to go "wide around". I thought she understood. My bad. She just mindlessly wanders around and gets whacked in the head with a swing/sister. She cried but was OK (it hit her but not THAT hard). I explained again what I meant about not standing/walking where the swings are swinging, and showed her how to walk around safely. Of course (or I wouldn't be posting ) less than 5 minutes later she got hit again.   And....wait for it...less than five minutes after that, it happened again, in the face, and I then took her inside. (She is fine, remarkably, and is now having a night time snack )

Granted, she is almost 4, not 12 or something. But my other kids are all just like this!! No amount of me talking OR them getting hit in the head with a swing seems to get through to them, on all manner of things.

Am I alone in having kids like this? Am I doing something wrong? This type of stuff really gets me down.   

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Amy,

My kids are like this. I think it's a kid thing, not something you are doing wrong. Some kids need a stronger message before remembering. I have to constantly remind my kids of things and they seriously don't learn from their mistakes. However, I have learned that it may take 999 reminders, but that 1000th time might do the trick. It's disheartening.

It's even worse for my special needs guy.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I think it's just a developmental thing. I would probably have done the same as you basically but I am melancholic-phlegmatic rather than melancholic/choleric so I wouldn't have felt quite so bad about it.

My next step, I think, given the situation as it exists, would be to make a conscious ritual of it with the child --- marking off steps with landmarks like a treasure hunt and running her through it several times, then as they say in special needs parlance "fade the prompts" until I knew she had it down. Kids take varying amounts of time. I STILL watch Aidan around swings and he is almost ten and about a 6 year old developmentally, but he needs repetition to really get things down.

I'm not at all saying your little girl is special needs, just that I've found some of the SN method useful for ALL my kids to target their areas of weakness.   I actually think it's totally developmentally normal for a 3 year old to be oblivious of the swing trajectory.

Our homeschool group meets at a playground and from what I've observed it's the rare under-four who really gets that swing thing until the "walk around" strategy is just completely sealed in their motor memory through repetition. And then you have to do a refresher course every spring until they are old enough, at age six or seven, to do the reasoning themselves.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Amy-

Did you know that of all the people with peanut allergies the ones most likely to die from it are teenagers?

They know it is serious and can kill them, but they don't *really* understand what this means (the old "I am invincible" syndrome). The area of the brain that understands and can make rational decisions about things like this evidently doesn't fully develop until sometime in the 20's.

You can ban peanut butter from your house (which is why younger kids aren't dying from peanut allergies as often as teenagers who have to make their own choices), but you really aren't going to ban a swing from your yard.

So your kids... completely normal. When she is 25 there is no doubt that she will avoid moving swings.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thanks everyone! I always like assurance that the crazy daily things going on here are at least "normal"

(and thanks for moving this to a more appropriate forum! Not sure why I didn't pick this one in the first place! I guess the decision making part of my brain has yet to fully develop )

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

If I had a dollar for every time my husband or I said to one of the kids, "don't you remember the last time you (insert crazy kid thing here)??", I'd be in Paris right now.

I have a feeling this is normal, and going to happen for a very. long. time.

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version