Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: American History Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 18 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

I'm doing some thinking lately about how I want my oldest to learn American History next year and am looking for some input. We have been using Story of the World from the beginning and he will be finishing the 3rd book in a couple weeks which leaves us at about the Alamo/Gold Rush time period. I have rerun son #2 through Story of the World 1 this year with son #3 and so they will continue working together next year. This leaves my oldest to working on his own with history...which is great because he works well independently and enjoys learning history...he watches the history channel on his own and tells me about cool things he learns.

So, because we've been using Story of the World he hasn't had much "schooling" of American history other than what we discuss as a family and during holidays, etc. I would like to keep this learning very Real, fun, and independent(!). There are so many awesome movies out there and books that I think I should be able to put together a nice plan for him to follow, yet build on following his own interests.

I'm wondering if anyone has done anything like this and any advice you have. Can you recommend movies/books? Also, does anyone have a timeline/list of events to make sure are hit...almost like a table of contents in a history text? I think it might be nice to have a very general workbook/writing book to go along with this. Maybe something with writing prompts or review questions just to make sure the important facts/dates are emphasized. Does anyone have a resource for this?

Thanks in advance!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version