Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Managers of Chores/PEGS/Motivated Moms Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2009 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

I'm trying to update our chore system and have been looking at Managers of Their Chores, P.E.G.S., and Motivated Moms. I'm especially interested in knowing whether the Managers of Their Chores program addresses not only doing the chores, but also getting them done within a set amount of time. I also would like to know if it includes a punishment/rewards system, and how it compares to the P.E.G.S. system.

Those of you using Motivated Moms: Is it helpful to use in addition to either of the other two systems, or is it better as a stand-alone program?

I would love to here from anyone who has tried more than one of these programs and can compare them.

Thanks for your help!

Eva
Back to Top View pmeilaen's Profile Search for other posts by pmeilaen Visit pmeilaen's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Hi Eva,
We have Managers of Their Chores. It does have a lot of information about motivating kids in different areas like this. We didn't stick with their chore packs. My older kids just quit looking at the cards, too lazy to actually bother to take them in and out, how bad is that? I mean, that's not what they said, what they said was they already knew what they needed to do and didn't need to see the cards anymore. And my youngest at the time was too little to manage pulling the cards in and out. So, I just made lists for them to check off instead. But the information in the book is good.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've got the Managers one too. I'm not using the chorepacks, but there is decent info in it and I'm planning on using it this spring (read: just haven't gotten to it yet ). I don't think there are any suggestions for punishment/rewards besides "those who will not work do not eat". I've never seen the PEGS system so I can't compare. I do have a year's worth of Motivated Moms. That doesn't have a system for the kids. Its more a system for moms. Elizabeth blogged about using it and assigning jobs to each child once, I think??? MM did not work for me.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote melanie

""those who will not work do not eat".

This is the only thing that will motivate my 9yo much of the time. I use this one almost daily, as in, "Dinner is in 20 minutes. If your chores aren't done, you won't be joining us until they are!"

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

My son (11yo) is a daydreamer and never gets his work done on time, not even getting dressed. He loves rewards but most punishments don't work very well, not even telling him he won't eat. I had hoped that one of these systems would offer some help in that area. I'm not very good at coming up with rewards or taking away privileges. I also have three daughters who normally just do their work and finish on time. I'm more like my daughters myself.
Back to Top View pmeilaen's Profile Search for other posts by pmeilaen Visit pmeilaen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version