Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: How to celebrate Easter on bedrest?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Easter Sunday is always very special here as I'm sure it is in your homes too. We usually go out for a nice brunch somewhere. Since I'll be confined to the couch and not even able to go to Mass, I'd love to come up with some ways we can make that day special here at home. I'd love any ideas. Thanks!

Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Martha, my prayers are with you. I was on bed rest for 3 months with my twins! Could your family make a special brunch at home...not too complicated...and you could eat it on the couch? I'm sure the Eucharistic ministers would bring Communion to you on Easter. To make it special for littler children, you could have an Easter storybook time on your couch. A new Easter CD with uplifting music might cheer everyone up, or if you sing, an Easter hymn sing might be fun.One thing we always do is to re-decorate somewhat after the children are in bed. I take down the purple Lent altar clothes and statue covers, remove the picture of Christ crucified over the mantel, and use white, gold ribbon, and fresh flowers (I always get flowering bulbs to plant later). This really impresses the children when they come down in the morning. Perhaps your husband could do something like this. Even just putting on a white tablecloth with a flower in the middle conveys "new life" and our rejoicing in the Resurrection. On bedrest, we certainly learn to simplify!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Martha--The year I had a baby on Holy Thursday, we did stuff your own croissants for brunch...nice deli meats, cheeses, veggies, eggs,and bacon. Everyone put what they wanted on theirs and Dad warmed them up, then they all plopped down on the floor around their baskets while I napped and nursed a little one. We did an egg hunt inside the house...I read Easter books while Dad hid eggs. Then that evening, we had pizza and movie night courtesy of a gift card from friends. A lovely day--hope yours is too.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2009 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

If you are used to paying for brunch out you could think about some simple catering. Some of the nicer grocery stores and cafes around here will do small-scale catering and many have lots of special Easter foods. Then your family will have more time and energy for other things to make it a special day for you.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

RamFam
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2009 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote RamFam

We never did Easter egg hunts, but my mom would hide jelly beans all over the house, such as in the dials of our rotary phone, in nooks and crannies, on the piano, in cabinet door handles, etc. I don't even like jelly beans, but this was so much fun. Occasionally we would find a well hidden one in July.

Back to Top View RamFam's Profile Search for other posts by RamFam Visit RamFam's Homepage

RenB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2009 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote RenB

Martha;

You've been on my mind since first being alerted to your sweet request here. Great ideas always bloom on this board. As an older mother, I can honestly say when I had to be on bedrest, I was not a very happy woman. If I can only pass along some encouragement to you, it would be - Worry not, just trust that all will be beautiful no matter, and that your family will be blessed with memories to last a lifetime during this passage of time. God bless your Lent and Eastertide. :-)

Mommy to eight, cherished treasures sent to us 22 years apart. Nana to seven lovelies...so far.
"Go East," they said
Back to Top View RenB's Profile Search for other posts by RenB Visit RenB's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Praying for you, Martha. Does the budget allow ordering a meal? Honeybaked ham meal perhaps? That would be the first on my list. I was in bed for Christmas, and dh made the dinner, but less time to spend with the kids, so I'd prefer the store bought version if I could do over or allergies permitting.

How much can dh do? Can he dye eggs with the girls? Can he buy the candy for the easter baskets, get them ready?

So much of Easter fun for the kids are hunting the baskets and egg hunts. Some of that could be done in the house, right in front of you.

Watch the Pope's Easter Vigil Mass Saturday before. Read books together. Do the Resurrection Eggs/ Benjamin's Box together.

You probably have all those already figured out.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

Martha, I've been on months of bedrest. I'm praying for you.
I know for me, I just had to totally lower my expectations to zero.
then, if even one thing got accomplished (such as dying eggs) I felt so thrilled and grateful.
I know my kids recall my bedrest times in two very distinct ways:
1. stressful, overwhelming, lots of chores
2. super fun, relaxing, memories of doing lots of unconventional things.

in hindsight I wish we had had more of #2 and celebrating baby staying put for one more day each day, than me fussing about things that I thought were important at the time.

I am praying for you every day.
May your Easter Season be a peaceful and joyous one!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

PS, I see we have the opposite line up of kids! congrats on your little boy! I'll have to look you up in a few years for some matchmaking, ha ha

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

LisaR wrote:
Martha, I've been on months of bedrest. I'm praying for you.
I know for me, I just had to totally lower my expectations to zero.
then, if even one thing got accomplished (such as dying eggs) I felt so thrilled and grateful.
I know my kids recall my bedrest times in two very distinct ways:
1. stressful, overwhelming, lots of chores
2. super fun, relaxing, memories of doing lots of unconventional things.

in hindsight I wish we had had more of #2 and celebrating baby staying put for one more day each day, than me fussing about things that I thought were important at the time.

I am praying for you every day.
May your Easter Season be a peaceful and joyous one!

This is all great advice. Thank you Lisa and everyone else too. Yes, there is room in the budget for ordering out.

Thanks for the admonition to reduce my expectations to zero. I also like your #1 and #2 comparisons. I need to think on that a while.

Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version