Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Child Care Options / Costs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

As DH's income continues to disappear, I'm picking up more classes to teach. Unfortunately, even though DH's income is dwindling, he has the hope of potential income, so he is not able to care for our children while I work.

I'm struggling with child care options at the moment, and the cost. I looked into a local center last night, and found that it would cost me over $450/week for care for my 3 this summer (3 days/week). I really don't know how people do it.

My kids are currently cared for by another homeschooling family, but originally I expected to need her help 1 day/week, but it's becoming a 3/day week regularity. While she is still willing, I am not sure if she'll continue throughout the summer. She has 4 boys of her own at home.

Another wrinkle is if Bo does move to Boston, I suddenly need even more help for longer hours (right now, DH drops the kids off about 2 hours after I leave for the day. They're all still sleeping when I leave usually. And he's able to pick them up about 30% of the time sooner than I finish work.)

Just curious -- would you ever consider adding 3 children to your day on a regular basis? What daily rate would make it worth your while?   Assume the kids are dropped off around 9, picked up around 5. I also provide their lunch, and feed them breakfast before drop-off.

I know I don't pay her enough, but my daily rate just was cut by 20%, making the percentage I pay for child care that much higher.

I'm trying to figure out what is truly reasonable, and whether I need to maybe split the kids between 2 care choices (Lydia is easy to place, the boys more difficult, but splitting them might be easier on any child care choice), and how much I can afford to pay while still making something to pay bills. Or if we need to make some sort of other drastic change to our lives.

thanks ; )

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I ran a daycare for years. Here in the 'burbs of Chicago, the going rate is $180 per week for full time care. For a family I always offered a discount. I watched a family with 3 kids and charged them $300 per week for full time care but this was 5 years ago, not sure if I could go that low these days.

I hope you find a solution to your situation.

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

So sorry for your situation. It is so tough. How about a nanny? When I worked, it was much more cost effective to have someone come into my home - not to mention easier for me too. I also could have things done my way and no lunches to pack.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Thanks, Mary. $180/wk is the going rate for a center around here -- is that the home day care rate in Chicago?

Mary, nannies in our area earn $13 - 18/hour, which works out to $143 and up a day since I'm gone about 11 hours when I work. (commute + lunch hour + work) I'd end up paying a nanny about 70% of my daily wages.

I'm confident something will work out. I was feeling especially stressed (and tired) this AM. thanks :)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

That is the home rate in Chicagoland. The Kindercare up the street gets $235 per week

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version