Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Help! Loaves of Fun Pita Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Does anyone have the book, Loaves of Fun, the book about the history of bread with recipes and activities?

I need the pita bread recipe and I can't find my copy of the book ....

THANKS!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 09 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:

I need the pita bread recipe and I can't find my copy of the book ....

Think about it, Mary - any ideas why you might not be able to find it??? Think purging your bookselves before you moved...anyway, due to that purging I now have your copy , so here is the recipe!

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. ww flour
1 t. yeast (optional)
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
2 T. olive oil
1 egg
1 c. water

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and make a firm, smooth dough. Let it sit for 1 hour undisturbed.

Heat oven to broil or 550 degrees. Divide the dough into eight equal balls. Put them on a cookie sheet and press or roll each ball into a very flat disk.

Bake for 4-5 minutes in the hot oven or until lightly toasted. Remove quickly when they're ready or else they'll burn.

Eat!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

see what happens when you're 45th was a few years ago???????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2009 at 3:15am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Don't feel bad, Mary...I did the same thing when we moved. In fact, much to my dh's dismay, I just repurchased a cookbook that I left behind!

Thanks Mary M. for the recipe. We have some very big bread eaters in our family and I am sure this will come in handy!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2009 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Carole -- these are a GREAT recipe ... the pitas really make a nice pocket to fill.

Thanks Mary for typing in the recipe ... I KNEW I left the book somewhere !

Since it was 78 here yesterday, I decided not to put the oven to 550 and do this pita recipe ... and the kids loved it (but HATED the babaganush I made to go with it!):

WHOLE WHEAT PITA (made in a skillet or elect griddle)
2-1/2 cups warm water (105 to 115)
1/4 oz. package active dry yeast (2-1/4 tsp)
4 cups whole wheat flour
2-1/2 tsp salt
2 tbls extra virgin olive oil (more for skillet)
2 cups all-purpose flour

1. Prepare the sponge: measure the warm water in a quart glass measuring cup and add yeast. Stir with a fork until dissolved and let stand 5 minutes. Place 3 cups of the whole-wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the yeast mixture and stir for 2 minutes with a wooden spoon. Cover the top with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes at room temp. The mixture will be bubbly.
2. Sprinkle the salt and drizzle 1 tbls of the oil on top of the sponge and stir to incorporate. Stir in the remaining cup of whole-wheat flour. Add 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until almost incorporated (the dough will become difficult to stir). Using the spoon, turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead, dusting with about ˝ cup of rem all-purpose flour, until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky (about 8 minutes). Reserve the remaining flour for rolling out.
3. Wash and dry the bowl. Pour in the remaining tbls of oil, add the dough, and turn to coat in oil. Cover the bowl snuggly with plastic wrap and let stand until doubled (about 40 minutes).
4. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and cut in half. Return one half to bowl and cut remaining dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls. Lightly flour the work surface and make thin, 8-inch flat breads from the balls.
5. Add about a tsp of oil to the skillet and spread around with a bit of paper towel to coat. Set a timer for 2 minutes and carefully lay the dough flat into the pan. Cook for about 20 seconds, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula; the bread will puff. When it stops, flip again and puff some more. Continue cooking, flipping once or twice more until the timer goes off. Transfer the cooked pita to a kitchen towel and wrap to keep warm. Repeat rolling and cooking the flats, making sure to oil the skillet before each pita, and then repeat with the other half of the dough.

Saving dough for later – cover bowl snugly in plastic wrap and return to ‘frig; let dough stand at room temp for 30 minutes before rolling out; cook as directed.

Wrap and leftover baked pitas in foil and keep at room temp for up to 2 days. Toast lightly before serving.

These are good ... I use our electric griddle at 300 to make these so I can make 6 at a time. The recipe makes about 1-1/2 doz and they are great in the middle of the night when you're starving (just ask dh! )

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version