Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Need Simple Knit/Crochet Pattern for Baby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2009 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hi There,

I'm more of a knitter than crocheter. I only know how to crochet granny squares. I can knit and purl and K2TOG and increase.

A dear friend is having her first baby in a few months and it's a boy. She lives in another state and I'd like to surprise her with a blanket for the baby. I'd like it to be functional, not just decorative. But I'm a little scared with my limited ability. I also would like it to go fast, not too complicated.

Do any of your have a favorite, easy pattern for a baby blanket?

Also, what fibers are able to be washed and dried (thinking practically here)?

MANY Thanks!

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

This thread has a great pattern that I am currently using. I used a you tube tutorial from knitting Tips by Judy to teach myself to knit on circular needles. The first one I made came out good enough to give and the second one looks even better. That is a lot coming from the novice knitter that I am . I hope this helps.

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

AnaB ... a really easy blanket that comes out really pretty is CO 3 sts ... on every row, k1, yo, k to end. This will increase every row by 1 st. Once you have a diagonal of about 30" or so, change the pattern to: k1, yo, k2tog, k to end. Continue until you're back down to 3 sts and bind off. I'd use a size 8 or 10 needle for this pattern ... and you'd need probably 3 skeins of any of the yarns mentioned below to make a nice 30-36" square binky.

Yarns: I'd used a washable natural/acrylic blend ... if she lives in a warm climate, I'd knit it out of LB's Cotton-Ease or Coats & Clarks Eco-cotton or Cotton-Plus. If you want more of a wool feel/look, look for a washable wool Knit Picks has some great ones!)

I just can't give a new mom a blanket that is made of fiber she'd have to fuss with ... machine washable is best, imho .

If you check out the Lion Brand site shown above, they have tons of easy patterns (in both crochet and knit) and many are free!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2009 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Mary,

I found some Cotton-Ease. It's a little different than anything I've worked with! I love that easy pattern you posted.

I bought some country blue and some cream colored yarn. I'm not sure why I bought both colors, but I'm wondering if I can use two colors on that first pattern you posted? Maybe I can crochet an edging in the cream? Maybe I'll just return the cream? My friend is expecting a boy.

When using Cotton-Ease, do you find a particular type of needle to work best? Would metal be better than bamboo (would it snag alot on the bamboo?).

Also, does the Cotton-Ease shrink? I'm excited and nervous. I recently taught a friend to knit and she's already made a purse, a hat and is starting a sweater. I've only made some washcloths, a blanket, a large shawl and a hat. I have such a hard time carving out time to craft and knit. Between homeschooling and keeping house and reading my emails, there's rarely time! Got any tips?

Sorry for all the questions.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Ana,

The cotton-ease works well on either wood or metal ... it doesn't seem to shrink (as it's not pure cotton, but cotton with acrylic so the feel of it is wonderful).

For contrast, you could do a few stripes within the pattern I posted above ... and a cream edging (yep, crochet would be the easiest for that).

Don't forget to post pictures!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 11 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Hi Mary!

I'm so excited! I found an adaptation of the first pattern you posted. I would do it with just two colors, and a square of each (no fancy stripy stuff for this one--I think). http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80799AD.html

I'll post pictures when I'm done!

Mary, I'm sending you a big hug for all your help!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

AnaB wrote:
Mary, I'm sending you a big hug for all your help!
Great! I could use that!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version