Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Colic? Reflux? Diet? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

We are having a problem with our 2 1/2 wk old dd, and I would love some input/advice. She is generally a little more fussy than her twin brother at all times. But, really she does not fuss much during the day. He only fusses at all when he is hungry or needs to pass gas or stool, otherwise he is totally content, and will lie awake quietly for an hour stretch.

Dd really gets fussy during the middle of the night. Mostly @ the 11 PM feeding and 2 AM feeding, but last night it was also the 9 PM feeding, and it stretched out until 11:15 PM. I really feel bad for her, and also am getting so tired, I don't want to fall asleep and drop her, and would like to function more during the day.

When she gets fussy she scrunches up and then puts her whole body into the cry that comes out. We have tried gripe water, to seemingly no effect. We have a DVD of "The Happiest baby on the Block" that someone gave us, for anyone who is familiar with that. It talks about swaddling, holding them on side or stomach, gently jiggling or swinging them, shushing or white noise, and the need to suck. All of these seem to help at times, but nothing seems to be the sure and certain thing that helps. Usually swaddling her, and holding her on her side, and jiggling works, for a while, but it doesn't last. She will be totally asleep sometimes, and we'll lay her down in her bassinet, we'll just be getting back to bed, and she'll let out an ear piercing scream, and start fussing all over again.

I know that babies until they are 3 mo old have their sleep patterns backwards of our's. We go into deep sleep first and then 20-30 min later we go into REM sleep. Whereas with newborns, they start with REM and then go into deep sleep in 20 - 30 min. Thus the reason they wake up as soon as you lay them down unless you wait 20-30 min. So I do wait until she is in deep sleep. But, sometimes she still wakes up out of deep sleep, crying and screeching, once we've laid her down.

We try all the usuals like making sure she isn't hungry, diaper is dry, has burped, etc.

So, my question is, could it be colic, or reflux, or my diet? It seems to me that if it was reflux or my diet, wouldn't it affect her the same during the day, or no? She will usually calm down once she is swaddled and on her side and jiggled, but I can't just sit there and do that all night long. Oh, and she tends to sleep better on her stomach, but even that seems to not be having the same effect.

I'm not to the end of my rope yet, but I also don't want to get there. Amazingly, God gives me the grace during these early days with newvborns to function on very little sleep. And it is less sleep than ever with it being twins and nursing. But, I know one's health cannot survive forever on 4 hrs or less of sleep a day.

And if you think it's diet, what CAN you eat? Especially, on a very small budget. It is so hard just to remember to eat enough, and to eat what is healthy right now. I can't see trying to start a whole new diet, and be able to make the regular foods for the rest of the family. Any ideas and help, if this is thought to be the issue, would be really appreciated.
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Is she arching her back type of pain/cry? That's common behavior of reflux. And it makes sense that as she gets older she'll be in more pain. We had 2 weeks of bliss, then months of no sleep and crying.

After going to a Gastroenterologist for our son, he explained that 1) babies have a structure that makes them very susceptible to reflux and 2) many have a milk protein and/or soy protein intolerance which they might outgrow later. So don't give up all foods, just try an ingredient at a time, dairy first, which includes casein and whey, which are milk proteins. Read labels carefully, and it will take a week for it to be completely out of your diet.

I would feed my son, keep him over my shoulder in an upright position for 30 minutes. But he did the same thing, cry very soon after I placed him down. The head of the bed needs to be elevated. For my last baby we used the Amby with great success, but he has less allergies than the first one.

Our son ended up having other severe food allergies, so the removal of dairy was helpful, and the Zantac, too. He slept longer periods of time, but he wasn't happy and all better until we had a dx of other foods when he was a year old.

Gripewater didn't work for us, and we ended up using prescription Zantac to great relief for all of us.

Remember to sleep when she's asleep, for your own sanity. You need the rest. The house can fall apart, but Mommy can't.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

Hugs - twins are very trying the first few weeks. :) It will get easier, and you probably won't remember these weeks in a year.

As for how to help your daughter. Reflux and food allergies (FA)/intolerances can "hit" at the same time every night. My youngest 3 have FAs. Dd2 presented the way your daughter is acting. For my dd it was dairy. It is hard to pull at first, but gets easier with time. Keep in mind that it can take 6 weeks to get it out of your and baby's system if you are nursing, and 3 weeks with a formula change.

Also, invest in a good baby carrier. I used a Kozy Carrier on the front with both twins in it at that age. I will see if I have a pic and post it to my blog.

4iscrazy.blogspot.com

HTH

ETA _ I cannot find the pic - sorry
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

As far as removing dairy, can you have lactaid? for the formula, can it be the kind that is milk based, but lactose free? If not any suggestion on what kind/brand?

My dh went to the store one day to pick some up for me, so I don't even really know what is out there, especially that won't cost more than we can afford. I do supplement with an average of 2 oz. formula a day, just to give the extra little boost, and make sure they are getting enough when their wet diapers taper off a bit.

I do have a Moby wrap, which I can carry them in. I'm working at geeting better with arranging them in it.

And thanks for the info that it takes 6 wks for dairy removal to kick in and 3 for formula, i didn't know that.
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I am heading out for the weekend in a few minutes, but wanted to respond.

In order to remove dairy from your diet, you will need to find a new source for milk (soy or rice are common), butter (smart balance), cheese (the substitues are gross in my oppinion, so I skip cheese), ice cream (so delicious is a good brand). Almost all baked goods from the store are out, though there are a few whole wheat breads w/o dairy. It does cost more to buy the diary free items, I generally just used less. Check the label for everything (non-dairy creamer, contains dairy).

HTH

Oh, and the 6 weeks - you may see results sooner. My dd stopped arching, screaming, and in her case vomitting within 2 days.

God Bless
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't know a thing about formulas, sorry!

I concur with Angi, that you will see an improvement pretty quickly if it is dairy. Lactaid is still milk. You can't have any cow's milk products.

Milk Ingredients to avoid

and this site was invaluable on my first run of dairy free.

Past threads: Fried need Food help

Fussy Baby

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Ditto to everything above. My oldest had dairy,nut and egg allergies. It is the protein in these foods. In fact, if a person has a true milk protein allergy, they will also not be able to tolerate goat's milk. It has to be totally eliminated. Talk to your pediatrician and maybe the lactation consultant/ La Leche League. Good luck. That's so hard.
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version