Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Best Places to Live? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

My husband just successfully defended his doctoral dissertation (engineering) and we are trying to figure out where we'd like to live. We're currently in SE Michigan and the economy here is so bleak with the situation in automotive.

Here's what we'd like:
- strong Catholic diocese
- good HS support
- favorable adoption laws
- metropolitan area
- racial diversity (our boys are biracial)
- good climate is a plus!

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I don't know about the adoption laws, but I can say Northern Virginia meets all the other criteria.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I second NoVa. Our parish's homeschool group (we have maybe a small number of families who don't belong to our parish) has over 65 families.

Like Mary Chris I don't know much about adoption. I have a friend though who is in the process of adopting through fostering with Fairfax County. I might be able to find out any specific answers for you...pm me. She looked around at several different counties' policies until deciding to go with Fairfax.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Phoenix area, too. Some people might find it too hot, though.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

I've lived in TX, OK, SD, AK, IL, NE, OH, VA and NJ.

I'd third NoVa. Crowds and traffic can be a little thick, but we loved it anyway. I think we might end up there once Dh retires from the military.

IL is a close second.. we were just east of St. Louis. Nice four seasons there, great diversity, excellent HS support and all else, on the ST. LOUIS side. STL has a fun zoo and science center for free and more or less centrally located as far as the midwest goes. If we went back there we'd be in St. Louis vs IL.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 02 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I would definitely include Denver, though I don't know adoption law status.

I'll bet you don't believe it about the climate, but we get much less snow than people think. When we get it, it melts pretty quickly usually. It is sunny 300+ days per year. Low humidity (though some would say too dry ).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

hmbress wrote:
My husband just successfully defended his doctoral dissertation (engineering) and we are trying to figure out where we'd like to live. We're currently in SE Michigan and the economy here is so bleak with the situation in automotive.

Here's what we'd like:
- strong Catholic diocese
- good HS support
- favorable adoption laws
- metropolitan area
- racial diversity (our boys are biracial)
- good climate is a plus!

Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Congrats Heather!!!!!!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
I would definitely include Denver, though I don't know adoption law status.

I'll bet you don't believe it about the climate, but we get much less snow than people think. When we get it, it melts pretty quickly usually. It is sunny 300+ days per year. Low humidity (though some would say too dry ).
No kidding ... y'all have what 70s today while us here in NoVA are on a snow day and it's cold!!!!!!!

I think either Colorado or Virginia would fill the bill nicely. I've lived in NC and SC and I don't think those are good options. FL might be good ... especially if you were down near Naples and the new Ave Maria, FL community.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

As a fellow Michigander: FLEE!!

I vote for Northern VA too, Catholic culture is in the very air you breathe.

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

I have to give a second for the St. Louis area. I have lived in NY and NC. I love it here. When my dh, who's from here, told me he wanted to move back, I told him I'd give it a year. Well, that was 15 years ago. We have all 4 seasons, great Archdiocese, one of the largest homeschooling populations anywhere, and it's a great place to raise kids. Most people really care about their kids and are involved in their kid's lives. We have all kinds of great free and low-cost recreation/learning opportunities, such as a free Zoo, free History museum, free Art Museum with free family programs, free Science Center. We have some awesome natural spaces and real estate is really affordable. My dh and I are living on one income (middle class), and we have a 5 bedroom house on a 1/3 acre lot on a cul-de-sac. There aren't many places in the country where you can find that. My dh wasn't alone in wanting to come back. Most people from here who have to leave, spend a great deal of time and energy to get back here. I have to admit being a New Yorker it was a little hard to think about moving here, but I wouldn't live anywhere else at this point in our lives. Plus, we've got the St. Louis Cardinals!
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Mary G - NC and SC wouldn't be good because of which reasons? Just curious!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Another vote for the St. Louis area! We moved away 4 years ago because of dh's job, but we would definitely move back to the area. (Due to personal preferences, we wouldn't move to the suburbs, but if you want suburban living, St. Louis' suburbs are pretty nice. We used to live in St. Charles -- north of the city -- on a cul-de-sac.) People are nice, traffic is (I think, having lived in the DC area, too) better than in DC (although it's still an issue), cost of living is decent, and the climate's not bad -- you get all 4 seasons. There are a lot of things to do, and we really miss the Botanical Gardens!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2009 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Greater Phoenix, AZ - love it! (I've lived in PA, OH, NV, and CA.)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Another vote for St. Lou! That's where dh and I met and lived the first 9 years of marriage. We've lived in MO, TX, OH and PA. If hubby could find a job in his area of expertise in St. Louis we'd go back in a heartbeat (not to mention we still have most of our family there).

I liked Angie's area too when we visited there.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version