Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Lending Homeschool Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Let me preface by saying I feel very selfish just posting this, but it has grown into a problem and I'm wondering if anyone has wisdom in a tactful way to handle it.

I have lent out our books and videos that I bought for our homeschool/domestic church use (and with the intention of sharing!) but noone returns them!

In a couple of instances, I have tried to subtly ask if they are finished with the material and could they bring it by soon and I get just a vague answer.

I hate to sound selfish, but almost everything that we lent were books or videos that we loved and knew we would want to read or see again - or lend to someone else who would really benefit from them.

Should I just let them go hoping that they are blessing those that have them? Or is there a charitable way to ask for their return?
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

Would you be willing to be direct and specific, as in:

"You know that book I lent you last month? I need it back now, I can come pick it up from you next Tuesday morning. Will you be home then?"

I'd give that a try before giving up either on the return of the material. I find that if I try to be "charitable" before being direct and specific it is a sure fired way for me to build a resentment.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

do what Susan said.

and my hard earned lesson has been to never loan what you aren't willing to give away and never see again.

presume you are giving it away and be happy to get it back IF you do, this is true for money and just about anything else.

otherwise you'll start to feel taken advantage of and bitter and these things can ruin relationships. I've been burnt enough times to make this a very strict rule

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

or just have a horrid memory and can't remember who you lent it to in the first place

Susan gave good advice.. there are many people who simply won't get a hint.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

As a person who tends to forget to return things - and that includes library books - please be direct.   I know that I often need reminders to return a friend's book.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

I'd also suggest telling them in the beginning, when you loan out the item, that you'll need it back in whatever time frame you are comfortable with. Anything longer than a month and they are probably more likely to forget. Put an address label and your phone number on the item as well.

In the end, however, I also don't lend out things I wouldn't be willing to give away. Keep your prized books and videos, and only lend those that you can afford to lose, with the hopes that they will be returned. Maybe if someone shows a pattern of returning lent items, then you could loan them some of those more precious things.

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

I agree with Lynn. Don't loan anything you want back. I'll say you are welcome to come over and look at it but we are using it now (or will be soon). I've tried Susan's method only to be told, "Oh, I'm sure I gave that back to you already." So frequently ,when someone borrows something they don't actually use it and it gets lost in the shuffle.
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Thank you for the advice! I decided to try the more direct approach and had a perfect opportunity to ask one friend about a video she had borrowed. First, she said "what are you talking about?", then she told me she had, just the day before, given it to someone else because she thought that that person had lent it to her.

I will take the advice of not lending unless I'm willing to give it away closer to heart! I feel quite greedy with that thought, but I also feel quite hurt that people have not returned things that I lent in good faith.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2009 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes, marking your name on it can really help.. one that my dh does is writing out last name on the edges of the pages.. you don't really see it on the individual pages but when the book it closed you can read it.

I tend to use address labels like mentioned for books.. but for dvd's or such.. I'll write on them in sharpie..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2009 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My dh bought me a stamp that read "I hope you enjoyed me, when done please return me to Lee Ann" It is designed to stamp along the pages of a book, or on the inside cover and works on labels to put on cases and tapes. It has helpes a lot. I want to be able to loan out stuff we aren't using. I don't like my books and such to sit idle on the self till next we need it. But I do believe people need reminding. Also I keep a spread sheet of whom I have loaned stuff, so I am not racking my brain trying to find a "missing" item.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2009 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

sewcrazy wrote:
Also I keep a spread sheet of whom I have loaned stuff, so I am not racking my brain trying to find a "missing" item.

I do this as well. I even keep a list of things that people have lent me so that I can keep track of all that I have from others.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version