Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Recipe Help! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Angi

I need food ideas for my family. We prefer blandish foods. We avoid chicken, turkey, fish, seafood, and pears due to allergies. We do not eat meat during Lent. And now, we have discovered that tomatoes make our youngest daughter's reflux worse. So - any ideas what to feed a family who cannot eat the above foods?

TIA
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sounds like you need to lean towards beans and dairy for protein.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Patty

I second the beans! And don't forget lentils; they are good for you. If you go to allrecipes.com you can search for recipes; you can even do an ingredients search for whatever you're wanting to cook with.

Eggs might be another option, if you can all eat those. You can make quiche or fritatta (sp?) or lots of other things.

Patty

Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Brown rice is a good staple, too. I saw a recipe in From a Monastery Kitchen (which would probably be a good cookbook to check out for you) for a lentil and rice loaf I hope to try this lent.

We also do a lot of blackbeans or black refried beans with rice and cheese--sometimes on corn tortillas like a burrito. We add lots of garlic and cumin, but you could keep it pretty bland, too.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Could you do veggie stir fry with brown rice? Grilled veggie and cheese paninis? Veggie pizza? Pasta and marinara or veggie lasagna...egg tacos...bean and cheese burritos...egg salad sandwiches...minestrone or another vegetable soup...quiches.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

So Angi, before I reinvent the wheel, some questions.

Do you do eggs? Dairy? Lentils and beans? Whole grains? Nuts? The suggestions Colleen just gave is making my mouth water. I would love some deviled eggs and egg salad, and even some quiche! How about a white veggie lasagne?

Have you scoured any cookbooks? It seems my annual Ash Wednesday while I'm fasting (or trying a moderated type) I pull out my cookbooks and plan my Lenten menus. Nothing like thinking about food when your stomach is growling.

Every time we have had another allergy diagnosis or some medical diet change or just a season change either with the liturgical calendar or yearly calendar, I pull out cookbooks. It's helpful to me to check out loads from the library, search at used bookstores or the new bookstores. It isn't until I actually look at the list of ingredients will I know if my family and I will like the recipe. We're not adventurous, but do search for variety in the limited tastes we like. I'm not recommending you run out and buy lots of cookbooks, but spending some time choosing some recipes. And there are lots of online recipe sites that you can search just by ingredients.

I love to be inspired by Brother Victor D'Avila-Latourrette's books. He's written quite a few, and some of the recipes do repeat. But they are all vegetarian, very few fish recipes. He cooks in a French, but simple style. Since he is a cook and a gardener, his books are usually arranged by seasons, reflecting what is "in season".

There aren't too many adventurous recipes, as my family isn't much like that, either. Our family can't do eggs, dairy, or wheat and yet there are so many recipes we CAN do with his cookbooks. Some of the ones I have:

From a Monastery Kitchen

Twelve Months of Monastery Soups

Twelve Months of Monastery Salads: 200 Divine Recipes for All Seasons

Simplicity from a Monastery Kitchen: A Complete Menu Cookbook for All Occasions

Fresh from a Monastery Garden: An A-Z Collection of Delectable Vegetable Recipes

In Celebration of the Seasons

The ladies here in the past have recommended Laurel's Kitchen (this is the new one). I have picked both versions up as used copies.

And also Mollie Katzen books, ot name a few:
The New Moosewood Cookbook

The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest

Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Another thought I had while typing and forgot to write was that you could do an emphasis on bread in your meals. Many times if the bread feature is pretty delicious you can overlook the rest of the meal.

Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kyra

Can you eat TVP? It's a soy-based hamburger extender- basically just soy flour made into granules. I don't use it on its own, but I've added it to granola for extra protein, and to spaghetti sauce and chili, both of which can be made quite mild. Since tomatoes bother your daughter, you can make white chili with pork.

Scalloped potatoes with cheese and ham?

A big pot of beans and cornbread is good. Pot roast with veggies is great and can be turned into hash and shepherd's pie.

You say your family likes bland foods- does that mean not spicy, or not into ethnic food in general? You can do a nice, easy version of pho, the Vietnamese beef noodle soup, that isn't spicy, and is very comforting. Use beef broth (bought or homemade) flavoured with star anise, cinnamon, and fish sauce. Cook a lot of fine noodles in it (rice noodles or fine pasta), and add thin strips of steak and chopped green onions.

Fried rice is easy, quick, infinitely variable, and not intensely flavoured.

Eggs cooked on top of veggies is good and quick. Slice up a bunch of veg (onion, zuchinni, peppers, whatever you've got around), and saute them, covered, until they start to give up their juices and soften. Make some dents in the veggies, and break in eggs. Let them cook until the whites are set, and serve with bread.
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

JennGM wrote:
The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest

This is like my very favorite cookbook ever.   
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

JennGM wrote:
So Angi, before I reinvent the wheel, some questions.

Do you do eggs? Dairy? Lentils and beans? Whole grains? Nuts? The suggestions Colleen just gave is making my mouth water. I would love some deviled eggs and egg salad, and even some quiche! How about a white veggie lasagne?

Thanks everyone for your help.   
We do eat eggs, dairy, grains, beans, and just about everything that was not on the original list :)
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version