Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Pregnancy weight gain worries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky J
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Becky J

Does anyone else struggle with weight gain during pregnancy -- i.e., have trouble keeping weight gain to a minimum, and have concerns about this?

I am about 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. After gaining 40 lbs. during my previous 2 pregnancies and struggling for a year or more to take the weight off, I vowed to be more careful this time around. But making the vow is one thing and keeping it is another when the only thing that comforts my gnawing, churning stomach is eating. (I am hoping that if this is morning sickness, it will subside soon. But I am starting to suspect it may really be acid reflux and will persist all 9 months.)

My big worry about the weight gain this time around is about the need to "space" my next baby in order to take the weight off before getting pregnant again. I used ecological breastfeeding to space my previous pregnancies and am starting to see pros/cons in that. I would prefer to not have to take that approach with the baby who's on the way. But I am afraid that if I have gained 40 lbs. again, I will have to space, or else I might get pregnant again and if I gain yet another 40 lbs., be well over 200 before all is said and done!

Are there any other moms on this board who struggle with similar worries? If so, how have you come to make peace with them?

Thanks!
Becky J
Back to Top View Becky J's Profile Search for other posts by Becky J

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Well, first off--is there anything your doctor can give you for the GI issues? I found with my twins that the only thing that helped was food...which wasn't necessarily the best thing. The doctor prescribed me with Zantac or that other prescription med --oh! Prilosec (brain freeze for a moment or two there! LOL). It worked sooo fast. I'd been in agony beforehand, nothing was really working any more...

HTH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I agree with Rachel, first you need to find out if you need treatment for GI issues..

second above all else.. eat good food and enough good food to properly nourish you and the baby. (not just the baby.. you will have a much harder time with pregnancy, labor and nursing plus anything else you do if you don't take care of yourself too)

only third should you be considering limiting food to limit weight.. and those foods should be the *junk* the things that don't have anything good for you and the baby.. desserts and the like.. and then excessive things.. don't eat every meal deep fried but also don't eat low fat (fats have things that the baby needs to grow properly.. the sheaths on the nerves for instance need cholesterol to form properly and without them the nerves don't transmit signals well)

Realize that it takes 9-10 months to put on the weight with pregnancy and it's likely to take that much to come off again (so one year isn't a bad time frame). And while it won't account for everything.. remember your body is going to change shape.. it's going to hold onto a bit extra fat when you're nursing and you're going to be a bit heavier because of nursing as well. Don't be trying to force yourself into a never had a baby body mold.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

I'm suddenly concerned about my weight, too. Is it absolutely positively not a good idea to try and lose some weight while pregnant? I'm 5'5, started the pregnancy at 130lbs, I'm 17 weeks along (with my 6th - I'm 30 y.o.)and have gained 17 lbs. I was so tired last night, and my dh said I should go to bed. I jokingly asked if he'd carry me, and he replied, "No! Have you seen the size of you?" Now I'm concerned.
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

at your size it is absolutely postiviely BAD to try and lose weight.. some women.. especially those considered medically to be "morbidly obese" may lose weight while pregnant because they're taking better care of themselves, eating healthy, getting a bit of exercise etc. But generally speaking you do not TRY and lose weight while pregnant.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Becky J
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Becky J

Syncletica,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's comment! Mine is pretty sensitive to my weight concerns, but he still likes to point out the point in my pregnancies when I come to outweigh him!

I remember reading a (secular) book on pregnancy written by a mom who'd had 4 kids. She said no matter what she did, or didn't do, each pregnancy to try to keep her weight gain reasonable, she gained the same amount of weight each time. It is almost like our bodies are programmed for weight gain for the babies' sake.

While we're not supposed to deliberately lose weight while pregnant, I do think, with a doctor's recommendation, it may be possible to try to gain weight more slowly than is usually recommended. During my first pregnancy, my doctor was worried that I was gaining weight too fast, so I think she advised me to try a modified version of the South Beach Diet (then in vogue!) and gain less than the recommended 1 pound per week during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. This worked for awhile; I at least managed to pacify her concerns.

So, if you are having concerns about your weight gain so far, I would definitely talk to your doctor at your next check-up about your options for managing the weight gain in a healthy way.

Sincerely,
Becky J
Back to Top View Becky J's Profile Search for other posts by Becky J

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Well, I know you want to stay healthy but I wouldn't overly stress the weight loss in these years. Our bodies are designed to keep some weight on while in our child-bearing years for pregnancy and nursing.

I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to let body issues decide my family's fate. I've been 200 or above for 7 pregnancies. (I'm 5 ft. 8 inches.) It's not optimal but I've been very healthy (except my old re-built ankle from pre-pregnancy) for the most part. Some pregnancies I gain very little weight but I ate very healthily and the babies ranged from 7.5 to 9.9 lbs.

I guess my point is to not put your life on hold waiting to lose weight. Being lighter is easier on your body but not the end of the world if you don't lose the weight, IMHO...

Love,
JoAnna in NC

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version