Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: sewing for children that want to sew , Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

but have a mom that can't....
My dc really want to, so any suggestions for a how to when I REALLY can't?
Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I really like the "Stitches and Pins" and "Buckles and Bobbins" books and patterns for kids learning to sew from
Bunk House Sewing

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I can sew, so take this recommendation with that bias:

My son and I both really like Sewing with Saint Anne from Catholic Heritage Curricula. It seems more geared for girls, but my son is 4 and doesn't mind that so much yet (plus he initially learned to sew from an older boy!).

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 03 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote saigemom

I've looked at Sewing w/ St. Anne before, but I was always worried it would be to advanced for me to teach him. I'll check into it again.

I love the projects in bunkhouse. My son would really be interested in those. So far he has hand sewn a pouch for cap gun bullets, a holster for the gun and he really wants to make moccasins...so this should be right up his line of thinking. Plus, it would probably help the projects stay together better.
Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

saigemom wrote:
I've looked at Sewing w/ St. Anne before, but I was always worried it would be to advanced for me to teach him.

I have to agree with Catholic Mommy! I machine sew, but never learned to do hand sewing the right way. Sewing With St. Anne is perfect for a child beginning or a mom who never learned properly. I would also ask if you have considered embroidery? I started doing embroidery first with my girls and they love it. We are learning proper stitches together but I just let them get started with simple stitches. They would draw their own designs on the fabric and then color them in with thread. It felt like sewing to them without having to understand patterns or seam allowances or anything like that.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I'd forgotten about the embroidery aspect - this is something I LOVE to do, but it wasn't until later in my teenage years I realized I could apply the same concepts to sewing. Sewing is just an extra step.

When my son attended a Montessori school last year, I taught the children some basic back- and cross-stitching - really truly, it's a great way to get into the sewing idea. The child can see the stitches and perfect making them straight or whatever shape they want - before they go on to sewing something where the stitches won't be seen afterward. Sort of a one-step-at-a-time thing: first make the stitches well, then worry about holding two pieces of fabric or other material together.

The boys loved it as much as the girls and can use it to decorate personal objects as they get older.

BTW, I made the connections when I was so frustrated with the tediousness of sewing on a button... I realized it's just a cross stitch!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Know anyone that sews? An older lady at church? a older homeschooled child? perhaps someone who could give a few basic lessons.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Birdie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 05 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Birdie

I say Sewing with St. Anne too, the projects are simple and fun. I like too that it narrows down the choices, sometimes I just find too much information and the whole idea of doing whatever it is I want to do becomes overwhelming so I don't do it.
Back to Top View Birdie's Profile Search for other posts by Birdie Visit Birdie's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version