Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: kitchen towels! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Dh has told me our old kitchen towels need to go....

"Well, ok dear, if you insist..."

I need something sturdy that washes well and actually dries rather than pushing water around, but I would like something pretty, too. I don't want cheap Target towels that need to be replaced in a year, kwim? My old ones were a Trader Joe's purchase that lasted at least 8 yrs, I think.

I am working toward a country kitchen look, with browns, cranberries, mustards, and deep blues.

Do you have kitchen towels you love and would recommend? I'm all ears...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I don't think these are necessarily pretty, but I can bleach them! I buy a big pack of white Martex hand towels at Costco for drying dishes and hands in the kitchen. I think I paid around $15 for about 15-20 towels. They are very absorbent and I can bleach them when they get stained or dingy. I also purchased the Martex 24-pk of white washcloths for dish rags in order to cut out my using paper towels. Again, not especially pretty, but super functional. If you sew, you could always add some type of decorative stitching to them (of course you couldn't bleach them). I do have a couple of seasonal linen-type dish towels that I have picked up over the years at TJ Maxx. RIght now I still have the red/white one with hearts on it hanging over my oven handle. I need to pull out the green/white shamrock towel to replace it with. These are strictly for decoration (drives me dh nuts that they aren't for functional use).

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I do think that I prefer terry cloth for what you describe even though it isn't always as pretty!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love the towels from Williams-Sonoma. They are more expensive, but mine have lasted me so far 9 years of marriage and still going, and my mother's even longer.

The ones I have are the logo towels. These are thirsty waffle weave, bleach nicely, absorbent and pretty much lint free. Keep your eyes out for some sales along the way. I also love the flour sack towels, which aren't as durable.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I have many different kinds of towels in my kitchen, and when I am looking for one that dries well, I reach for my Microfiber towel from Pampered Chef. It dries so fast, and is perfect when I am drying dishes. I have other PC towels that I use as well, and I am always happy with them.

(P.S. There are a bunch for sale in the Outlet section if you are looking to try!)

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
I love the towels from Williams-Sonoma. They are more expensive, but mine have lasted me so far 9 years of marriage and still going, and my mother's even longer.

The ones I have are the logo towels. These are thirsty waffle weave, bleach nicely, absorbent and pretty much lint free. Keep your eyes out for some sales along the way. I also love the flour sack towels, which aren't as durable.

I second this. These are really great towel. As Jenn mentioned, some of the trendy-er colors do go on clearance at the end of the season as well, which is how I got my last set (my first was 6+years old).
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I do appreciate bleachability. I do that for the kitchen rags, but I was hoping for something more decorative, since they hang on my oven rail.

I've looked at Williams Sonoma towels for years but never seem to find them in colors I like. But I'm loving those rooster towels!

I haven't been to a pampered chef party in years, but I do like the shade of cranberry that you linked. Gorgeous!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version