Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Great Bible Adventure - Kids Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Ascension Press - Great Bible Adventure - Kids Pack

I LOVE THIS!!!!! It is perfect for little ones! (I've not tested it with elementary age yet, just my 4 year old)

Here's my initial review after owning it for less than 8 hours and my son & I playing all afternoon:

First, the price could be a bit high, but my parish paid for half so that I could review it for the parish and keep the materials in the end.

The concept is based on a very simplified version of the Great Bible Adventure. No DVDs, CDs, etc. - just good hands-on fun and learning.

The Bible is divided into 12 chronological segments, each one is color-coded and given a symbol based on the events/people in that timeframe (ie the first symbol is of the earth and the color is turquoise to represent the color of the earth from space) - and 2 main events and 2 main people or pairs of people are highlighted within that time frame (Creation, Adam & Eve, Noah, Tower of Babel for our 1st example).

Funny/cheesy one: The Babylonion Exile is designated as "Baby Blue is Judah 'singing the blues' in Baby-lon" (quoted from the timeline chart). (no rolling eyes smiley on this board? ).

The components of the entire package are the following:
  • Coloring Book
  • Set of Cards
  • Timeline chart with prayers
  • Prayer beads
  • Bookmark

***The timeline is accordion folded and is perfect size to fit the cards (see below). The timeline is all on one side, while the back holds additional information. Size: 8.5x5.5 inches when folded up - 8.5x33 inches when expanded.

The timeline chart shows the 12 sections, with 2-3 samples of the people/events in each one (a small picture). It also includes the Scripture section for location, explanation of the color, a line across the whole thing to represent Jesus' bloodline listing names as it goes, listing of general dates (the first one is "Creation - 2000 BC), and listing the current world power. Egypt sure was powerful for a LONG time! It also displays the covenant symbols, which are each explained in about one paragraph on the back, with a corresponding Scripture reference.

Also on the back are the prayers for the beads (see below on the beads) and a section entitled "How You Firt into the Story" which lists 6 ways with a brief description and a Scripture passage (Baptism, Confession, Holy Eucharist, Prayer, Live a Life of Charity, Teach Others the Story). Very very Catholic!

Only problem here: I'll need to laminate it for durability - we'll be getting our use from it!

***The bookmark is a miniature version of the timeline with just the color and color name, name of the time period, Scripture reference, symbol, and explanation of the color. 7 colors on one side, 5 on the other. I wish it was on one long strip though (on one side), then folded in half, so it could used as a bookmark, but unfolded to show the whole sequence at once.

***The coloring book is large (10x13) and has 4 pictures to color for each time period. The first page for coloring shows the symbols and suggests that the coloring coding could be utilized by the children to reinforce the concepts. The bottom of each page has a strip which provides the symbol for that era, the title for the era, the title for the event or person in the picture, actual Scripture passage, and a short re-telling of the general synopsis. I love the large pictures and fairly simple drawings. The very last page shows 4 animal symbols we typically associate with the Bible, Jesus, the Church, etc: donkey, dove, lamb, lion.

***The card game has several components which makes it the most useful item in the whole bunch in my estimation!!!! It comes with 2 sets of cards, one is green backed and the other blue backed. The blue backed cards are 1 event and 1 person from each time period, color coded with the symbol and short title (the images match what is in the coloring book, but are fully colored). These are to be added to the other set for fuller games.
--The green-backed cards contain the other 2 event/people cards, 8 wild cards (2 each of the animals I listed above) as well as 12 period cards with the symbol, title, color and color explanation AND 12 "Where in the Bible?" cards which are still color-coded with the symbol, have a picture of the Bible and the title of the main book where this era is written.
--Included are instructions for the following games along with age recommendations: memory-matching, go fish, rummy, spoons, crazy eights, and doubt it. There is also a reference card for the symbols and colors and titles.
--Problem: My son discovered that 2 pages in the coloring book are reversed on the cards - which actually changes their placement on the timeline, being in two different eras. However, chronologically, the book has it right, but according to the titles of the eras, the cards are the ones that make the most sense (it's right at the divide covering the Exodus and the Wandering in the Desert). So we read about it and discussed it and now he knows more about that time period! It was a good learning moment.
--Adaptation to the Memory Matching and Go Fish games: the instructions only say to make the appropriate matches; but what I found helpful for my son was to lay the timeline chart out and as matches were made, rather than competing over who has the most and to establish the chronological order, we would actually place our matches on the chart and say the name of the era aloud with the titles of the cards. As time goes by, I think we'll also state the things that came before and after, to really help with learning the order.

***I would think the prayer chain could be created by each child at home - it's just the colors of the timeline on a black string, with a keychain ring on one end and hook-clip on the other. They are meant to accompany the prayer found on the back of the timeline chart which has a prayer and response for each of the 12 sections of Bible history (example: "Turquoise bead for the Early World - L: In the Early Wrold, You created the heavens and earth and teaste Adam and Eve in the garden: R: Help us to always choose the life that You offer.") A prayer for every bead, preceded by the Sign of the Cross, an introductory prayer in the same style as the beads; concluding with an Our Father and the Sign of the Cross.

I think that covers the whole thing. I really do like it. I admit I was expecting "more" but now we've spent several hours with it, I really enjoy the simplicity and the focus on color, chronology and key moments. The chosen key moments and people are very representative in my estimation. My only other less positive thing to say is that I wish it came with some sort of guide as to where to start, but then it forced us to just explore, which is wonderful as well. But I had a free afternoon (RARE thing!) and only one child. With more children, I'd think that a nice "start-here" guide would be helpful, then veer from there as you see fit. (hopefully my review helps on this account for anyone who does purchase it!).

I have always tried to avoid Protestant things like this just because of some of the teaching differences, and I am not only pleased with a Catholic option, but it is fully and truly Catholic - not Protestant based with a Catholic twist.

The same company has other Bible History products and they just came out with a Church History set (Epic it is called), which is very very pricey but I am hoping to review that too with the same deal as above If that's as good as the other things I've used of theirs, I will be dearly waiting for their kids version of that too!

God bless!

ETA: For family use, I would suggest one card game and one timeline chart for the family; one coloring book for each child who would like to do that (OR the title page says that you can photocopy for home use only, but it is 10x13). The prayer beads could be made or done another way (I'm thinking choking hazard if it ever does come apart (though it seems sturdy)); the bookmark is a nice extra but not "necessary".

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 05 2009 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Might we be able to see your review of Epic? I went to your site and searched but didn't see it. Pretty please, with cream on top?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I've not been able to get it written yet - I will very soon, I promise!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 05 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

After purchasing my set, I read each part of it over and over. I finally called Ascension Press. I had no idea what to do with it!

CatholicMommy wrote:
My only other less positive thing to say is that I wish it came with some sort of guide as to where to start

I have a few children's Catholic bibles. Was I to just start reading from the beginning and then showing the timeline? Or was I to just start playing games and memorizing.   I am sure to many of you this may seem so ridiculous but I was really lost! The person with whom I spoke at Ascension Press was GREAT! He explained ways to use it as a supplement. That made it clear to me that that I had expected too much from it. (Also something you mentioned)

It was also evident that it might be clearer to Catholics who had already done the “Great Adventure” studies themselves or really know their bible. (Maybe I was hoping this would teach me too.)

After reading what you wrote I will have to spend some more time on this!
CatholicMommy wrote:
--Problem: My son discovered that 2 pages in the coloring book are reversed on the cards - which actually changes their placement on the timeline, being in two different eras. However, chronologically, the book has it right, but according to the titles of the eras, the cards are the ones that make the most sense (it's right at the divide covering the Exodus and the Wandering in the Desert). So we read about it and discussed it and now he knows more about that time period! It was a good learning moment.

Also, I feel I spent a lot of money for very little. Every part other than the coloring book is something that with a little thought any one of us could do as a crafty project. The coloring book is nice but as you stated not easy to copy for other children.
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I do think it is pricey. I wish they didn't charge so much.

I was totally lost too - but we just delved in and started playing with it all. Over the last several months I've used it at our parish RE program, other homeschooling friends, etc. The coloring book has been nice, but the hit at our house is STILL the card game - it is SO versatile.

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 09 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

Ok so I guess I came off a little harsh. Since writing earlier regarding my disappointment with it, we have been playing Go Fish. We have easily memorized the time periods and colors. From here, I think we can plug in the stories we know and read ones we don’t with the time periods in mind. This is good - Providing a good overall picture. Even so, can I add yet one more detail that bothers me? The box for the playing cards is sooo inefficient. If you want to play with the first deck, you must sort thru both sides of the box. Sounds silly, but I paid $25.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Ah yes! The box. We ditched it after about 2 days. And we don't bother sorting the deck - we just play all the games with all the cards (adjusting for the fact that there are 6 cards of each color). We do remove the wilds when needed, but otherwise, we're lazy about separating

This reminds me that I wanted to sew a little pouch for the cards (we keep them in a plastic baggy for right now).

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

Can I purchase just the cards and still learn everything? Do you need the folded timeline to play the card games?

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

I personally think the cards are sufficient. (And I must admit that since writing my earlier complaints, we have enjoyed the cards very much.)

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Just resurrecting this since someone asked another thread, prompting me to look for this one.

I do think the timeline is rather necessary, because we use it to place the cards in order. It also provides a beautiful overall visual AND has the most meat as far as "new information" on the back of it - information on the covenants, for example, as well as explanation of symbols and colors used.

Elementary children need that overview picture, so the timeline by itself is worth every penny; but the information on the back makes it priceless. :)

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 09 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is the thread where there are more details and discussion about it.

Bible Study

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

SuzanneG wrote:

Bible Study

??

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CatholicMommy wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:

Bible Study

??

Did the link not work for you, CatholicMommy? It works fine for me and appears to be the thread with more details.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Sorry, I might be just having a brain-is-off moment (I've been known to have them publicly ;) ); I am just seeing this thread as the one with details and the newer thread as the one asking for the details. But I think it's just me ;)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CatholicMommy wrote:
Sorry, I might be just having a brain-is-off moment (I've been known to have them publicly ;) ); I am just seeing this thread as the one with details and the newer thread as the one asking for the details. But I think it's just me ;)

Well your observation is entirely possible! Regardless, it's always nice to keep related threads linked for the purpose of future searches. Someone finding this thread could get to the other thread and vice versa. Both have helpful details when it comes to discerning this program and how it might be used in the home.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

kbfsc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2012 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote kbfsc

I'm late chiming in on this, but just the other day I made a great discovery that has made the Great Bible Adventure so much easier for my family to use! My son received the kit as a birthday gift last summer - but I didn't use it because I couldn't find the instructions and was lost as to where to begin. I emailed Ascension Press and asked for help, but to no avail. So it's been on my shelf... The other night I dug it out to try again, hoping for some summer Bible learning, and I found that on the website there is an introduction/instruction video with the authors! I guess it was created for lots of various kinds of learning for different levels, so there isn't "one" way to use the program. But the video gave me some much needed advice about where to start and how to work through the program. Hooray!

Here's the page with the video: TGA Kids video preview

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

kbfsc wrote:

Here's the page with the video: TGA Kids video preview

Thanks for the link! It was helpful to see how to use the kit. We have it but haven't done much with it because I didn't know what to do with it.

God bless,
Christine

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

It is so good they finally have some sort of guide available (probably so many questions from people asking "what do we DO!?"

But really, the best way - is just delve in. Just start playing the card games (instructions are given for those); read the coloring book if you got that (it goes through the topics chronologically); look at the timeline; and start making up your own combinations of things - what do YOU discover as you just look through the cards?

Once we delved in, that is when the fun began :)

SarahCD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

Oh! I am really excited to see this video! I will be watching it soon to get some teaching tips! I also look forward to doing more with the cards over the summer ... We are only on Elijah, so we have a ways to go, but I think it has been nice to simply work at our own pace and really learn and absorb the beautiful story of Salvation History.

Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version