Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: c-section questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

for those of you who have been there done that. How long did it take for you to be back on your feet? Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post c/s. I am starting to feel pretty good, however I don't want to do to much. My husband went back to work today. So I am on my own. When did you start driving again? I am looking at this week and all of the appts. and ballet and boy scouts and wondering how much I can do. I know everyone recovers at different speeds, just wondering what your experience was.

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I've had 2 c-sections and I have to say that recovery from the first took longer than the second. For my first, I was in labor for a while before the c-section so the muscles were much more sore. With my second, I had to be up and walking within 3 days to go with my son to a metro hospital for 10 days while he was being treated for a rare condition. While I did absolutely no lifting or driving during those days, I did a LOT of walking to and from the hospital NICU, milk bank pumping rooms, and the Ronald McDonald house.

With both c-sections I was able to drive within about 2-3 weeks although getting into my car was a bit tender. By 3 weeks for sure with this last one I was able to lift my toddler onto the changing table. I did do a lot fewer activities overall though and my energy level was more easily depleted.

Running unecessary errand for the next 1-2 weeks might be a bit much, IMO. Can someone else help bring your kids to and from their activities or can they miss a week or so? If not, I'd conserve your energy as much as possible by having the kids pack and unpack the car and things like that.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kirsten,
With my first c-section, I was very VERY still for a couple of weeks and then I moved VERY slowly. BIG mistake.I was so afraid to move and it really worked against me.
With my second c-section, my baby was in the NICU. If I didn't want to wait for a nurse and a wheelchair, I'd have to walk to see her. I forced myself to get out of bed every couple hours and I walked. Once I was discharged (at four days), I acted pretty much like nothing had happened. I moved normally, limiting stairs to once or twice a day, and doing no lifting beyond a 5 lb baby.But I walked a lot from parking lot to hospital to baby to cafeteria and around and around again. When Sarah was discharged (at eight days) I drove us home .
They say the second section is easier than the first any way, so maybe it had nothing to do with movement.But I think movement helped.
My mom came to help when she was three weeks old and I really hung out in bed (more for her than for me, but we both benefited). That rest was well timed. I tried to exercise at 8 weeks and started bleeding again, so I held off until about 12 weeks.I did the ballet carpool run at like two-three weeks and I was so wiped out I thought it unsafe. Fortunately, I had help driving from then on.
I had pretty severe depression after my first section and I was in pain ( a lot of pain) for over a year. I've got no pain this time. I think that I learned that movement is not a bad thing but over-exertion is a bad thing. I had no driving help after my first and I pushed myself so hard.
It's a cliche to say"listen to your body," but do that. And be sure to eat well and drink plenty.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I am trying to remember. It has been 14 1/2 years since my only c-section. It took a long, long time to heal, but I had to hit the ground running and gave myself no chance to heal. Also it was a true emergency c-section, and my abdomen was a mess.

I would start adding activities slowly and stop as soon as your body tells you to stop. I think that is true whether csection or not.

Good luck and congrats!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

bfarmmom wrote:
I am starting to feel pretty good, however I don't want to do to much.

It takes me about a week to actually function somewhat normally. Slower, but no restrictions.

Your body will let you know when you're doing too much.

When I thought I was taking it easy or healed enough to do more, I would bleed a little more....clear signal from my body to slow down.

I don't drive for a while because I have a fear of the steering wheel meeting my stitches.

Blessings to you and your little one!!

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I've had 4 c-sections. With all I rested but moved as much as I could. My second was the easiest but I think it had to do with not having a labor/pushing beforehand as I did with my first (and I was younger). With number 3 and 4, I did move around, but it was harder to recover. Take it easy but as Elizabeth said, move. I would try not to overdo it. Remember it is surgery; you need time to recover.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

D. Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote D. Marie

Okay, on the note on c-sections...how many have you ladies had and are there any problems with the more c-sections you have had?

I have had 6 c-sections and they all have pretty much been the same. I spend the first week in bed getting up on occasion. I am over the big pain in a few days, and I think the staying in bed has more to do with being up all night nursing. LOL By my second week I'm back in clothes and moving around, but I take it easy and I don't push it. I'm not driving or getting out until week 3, and even then...I still take it slowly. I pulled stitches one time, not a good thing- so take the time to heal.

I have a friend who had 10 c-sections, she was up by the second week also. And I've heard of a lady who has had 16...but I'm skeptical here. Rumors fly in that part of the region! LOL

Just relax and enjoy your baby. The house, the scouts, the ballet, will all resume back to normal soon enough!

In JMJ...

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Both of mine were emergency c-sections after looong labors.    The first did take longer to recover from but I think more out of fear than anything else. After my second one, I was up and about (but not driving) in less than 2 weeks.

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Oh thank you all so much. I guess I am right on track then. And it is encouraging to hear that the 2nd c-sections were easier. I think part of me was in shock for the first week. I could not believe I had to have a c-section with number 7!! Who would have thought! I also think I was mourning my usual easy vag deliveries. Does that make sense?
Anyway, My dad drove the girls to ballet last night. And I have the rest of the week covered for our other activities.
Thanks again for your input!

Sonlight Garden
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version