Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Room themes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Having thought about an idea from another thread and something I wanted to do years ago... Do any of you have themes (specifically liturgical, but other ideas too) to any of your rooms? Someone on another thread (sorry can't find it right now, but I JUST read it!) has a fruits of the Holy Spirit theme for her kitchen.

I've always wanted to do something like this, so that the atmosphere of each room really showed some style (I have no fashion style), but nothing contrived either - I think that's why I've not done it yet - I didn't want it to be contrived.... But I do love to have lovely artwork in each room - I can just never decide what should go where.... But if I had a St. Joseph room, a Holy Spirit room (I love that kitchen idea!), etc....

What other themes could be used for the kitchen? And for other rooms?
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I do think someone shared that they stenciled fruits of the spirit somewhere - probably the kitchen. Not remembereing for sure.

Great idea for a thread!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oooooh!....I love this thread CatholicMommy, but I blabbed so long over here that my computer time is up for now...btw, I'm the one with the very cleche' Fruits of the Holy Spirit theme - mentioned here.

This is a great thread though - I'll be back.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Mackfam wrote:
Oooooh!....I love this thread CatholicMommy, but I blabbed so long over here that my computer time is up for now...btw, I'm the one with the very cleche' Fruits of the Holy Spirit theme - mentioned here.

This is a great thread though - I'll be back.

Blab some more! (but not to the loss of family needs of course!)   

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You know what I keep thinking of.. and wishing for higher ceilings so that I'd have some space over doorways and such that I feel would make it work..

those vinyls you can get with scripture.. for putting on walls.. I think that would be lovely.. done a pretty script letting.. and would go so well with this idea.. you could have the scripture that set the tone for the theme..

So for the Fruits of the Holy Spirit you might abbreviate Galatians 22-25

".. the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control .. let us also follow the Spirit.."

Though I think the one I most need on a wall somewhere is the reminder..

Matthew 6:34. "Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Rachel May painted a Fruits of the Holy Spirit Tree in her dining room, I'll let her know about this thread.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary Chris wrote:
Rachel May painted a Fruits of the Holy Spirit Tree in her dining room, I'll let her know about this thread.

I would love to see that!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kitchen is dedicated to the Fruits of the Holy Spirit......but you already knew that. There is an image of Our Lady in every room, including my kitchen. Lots of fruits set about, and I loved working with the Eucharistic Prayer, "fruit of the vine and work of human hands" so I have some greenery (vines) set out with grapes and then I like to think of my bake center as the tangible representation of, "...give us this day our daily bread".

Family Room...The Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart.
Both are enthroned there. I also focus on the Communion of Saints there. I have Raphael's Disputation of the Blessed Sacrament as one of the primary focal points in the room. I've always loved the symbolism and the great story that this painting tells. On all of the shelves we have small statuary of the saints. On their feasts, I pull a statue off a shelf to put on our family Feast Table which is also located in this room.

Long hallway...Our Holy Fathers - Pope Benedict XVI and Pope John Paul II and other popes.

Learning Room...Our Lady under her many titles

That's really all I think. There is a crucifix and an image of Our Lady in every room. I've always loved the idea of a themed room, maybe I'll have to think on this some more and be a little more intentional in the other rooms of the house. What a neat idea for a thread, CatholicMommy!!! This has me thinking now!!!

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

That is a neat idea. I had always thought it would be neat to write in a beautiful handwriting, maybe with paints or something in a caligraphy style, neat quotes, proverbs, lines of poetry etc. around the tops of the walls where you usually see a border. I have seem this in magazines before. I have also thought about putting little caligraphied quotes on beautful paper and framing it and using it as art here and there. Recently Frost's line, "Two roads diverged in a wood...and I chose the path less chosen..and I have been the better for it." comes to mind. I thought that sort of described my becoming a Catholic when the rest of my family is Protestant, so I stand alone. And, with homeschooling, large family life-style etc. I thought the verse was applicable.

But this sort of thing could be used in themes for rooms too with homemade pictures with verses to help enhance the liturgical year. Or, you could have a Rosary room where the Blessed Mother is honored in a special way, and in another room, maybe a den, St. Joseph would take the center. Things like that.    

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Mary Chris wrote:

In our last house (which I knew would be knocked down after we moved out) I painted a tree in the corner of the dining room. It turned out HUGE and the leaves went onto the ceiling and around 2 windows! Then as we learned about a Fruit of the HS, I would make a large paper apple and write the fruit on it. Then as the kids practiced the fruit, they were allowed to put a diecut apple on the tree.

In this house I painted the manor from Mt. Vernon with a little orchard to the side for the kids to put their apples on.

In my old kitchen I painted, "Let us not grow weary of well doing. Gal 6:9" because I get tired of washing dishes. However, now I prefer Chari's quote from St. Stanislaus: "I find a sort of heaven in the midst of saucepans and brooms."   I should have put it in this kitchen near my tile of St. Paschal.    

I like the idea of themed rooms. For now ours are based on color. A reading/music room is a bright blue, the dining room/kitchen both have deep red accents, the main living room read aloud is tan mostly. Since I have a variety of what Bill calls "Catholic knick-knacks" I just put them in the room they match. Luckily we move a lot so I have the chance to try again in the next house.

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

This is such a great idea! Maybe I can transform my daughters' room http://smoothingstones.blogspot.com/2008/10/add-simple-woman -button-here-for-today.html
into an O.L.of Lourds or a Rose of Sharon/Jesse tree room. I really like the scripture/saint quote idea. Now if I can convince my dh to let me paint actual words on the wall .
~Gloria
Back to Top View Gloria JMJ's Profile Search for other posts by Gloria JMJ Visit Gloria JMJ's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Wow. I'd not even thought of this before...

I've got material to make the girls some quilts, fabric with the Blessed Mother and the rosary, some with Jesus and the children, some of OL of Guadalupe, some blue with dark blue "Love" written on it in different scripts...(lots of other fabrics, too)...now, if I could just learn how to quilt...

LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

What creative ideas!

Perhaps February won't be accused of being the longest month of the year this year If we're all busy freshening up our homes, and orderliness (from other threads), and pulling the kids into help out - the time will fly by. (I personally love February, but it gets a bad rap!).

Another idea for long hallways or staircases: Stations of the Cross. When we had a townhome, we had the Stations one on each step going downstairs. I'd have the stair lights on only. We'd descend into relative darkness, but then light beautiful candles in the living room and read the Easter story at the end of the stations (my son was little and I had all my very young daycare children and older but non- or lukewarm- Catholic children, so we didn't "stay" in the tomb so to speak). We did Stations every single Friday back then - we still try to, but this set up kept the devotion STRONG. (and singing the Dolorosa on the staircase - the acoustics covered up the bad singing!)
(I also had the Divine Mercy painted on the wall above the stairs, so it was seen for the first half of the Stations. I miss that lay-out!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version