Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Anyone have a pressure cooker? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AlwaysLearning
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote AlwaysLearning

I was wondering if anyone uses a pressure cooker? I've been kind of afraid to use one, but it sounds like they have gotten safer than they use to be. Still, the thought of steam spraying out scares me a little.

If you have one, can you tell me what size you recommend (8 qt., 10 qt. or more for a family of 8), and what type of foods you cook in them?

It really sounds like they can be timesavers, but the price can get kind of high (especially for the stainless steel pressure cookers).

Thanks for any insights!
Karen
Back to Top View AlwaysLearning's Profile Search for other posts by AlwaysLearning

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well just so you know.. the current pressure cookers/canners have a pressure release valve designed to blow instead of the lid.. and even if the lid does blow they're done in such a way that there's a lip to catch the lid so it can't come off.. it would be really hard to have it come at your face.

but generally if you follow directions for the cooking.. the risk is pretty minimal.. sorta like the oil catching on fire when you're cooking.. sure it can happen but some basic precautions doesn't make it real likely.

That said I mainly use a pressure canner.. I've used a pressure cooker in the past but haven't for years. I do remember it would cook a roast or chicken down to "shreds" very quickly which was great for making tamales.. rather than a two day process (first cooking the meat) it was a one day process you could make it for dinner that night.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

littlemenmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote littlemenmom

I have one, but I have only used it to make corned beef with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. I keep intending to try other things, but forget. It makes the corned beef very tender and the flavor is very intense when pressure cooked. The safety features make me feel completely safe and I have a 8 qt.
The idea of cooking down meat for tamales is getting my brain to think of trying it out for other foods now!
Back to Top View littlemenmom's Profile Search for other posts by littlemenmom Visit littlemenmom's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Karen, I have a terrific Italian made one that doesn't resemble my Mom's old canner at all! I think it is kind of like how different the Crockpots are today vs. a few years ago.

I use it a TON in the summertime to speed cooking up and keep the heat off the boat. I also always use it when we're out sailing as it reduces the amount of propane we have to carry.

There are some beautiful cookbooks out there now for pressure cooking with really yummy recipes including desserts! Who knew? I will say don't experiment with pasta it took forevah to scrub that out of the bottom of the pot!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I have a couple, I rarely use them except for the big 22qt canner....which I use for canning, oddly enough.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

I have one - an older one. I have used it to cook fresh green beans quickly and to make chili when I wanted it NOW, not in 8 hours.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I've used one for years and love it! I started out using one to cook whole grains because I couldn't eat wheat at the time and needed to figure out how to eat differently. We still use one for whole grains in the morning for breakfast. Nothing to be afraid of at all - really. I started with a Magefesa which was one of the best at the time and now I think I have a Fagor...not sure why. I'll guess that it is around five quarts.

Great for chili and gives broth soups long simmering flavor quickly.

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

AlwaysLearning
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote AlwaysLearning

Thanks for all of your insights on pressure cooking!   I've been reading reviews for them on Amazon (oh how I love to read reviews on Amazon )and it does sound like people love their pressure cookers! I would love to be able to make a quick soup broth or shredded meats for tamales.

Angie, the Fagor brand you mentioned seemed to have a lot of good reviews...maybe I'll put it in my shopping cart and wait for the price to drop...does anyone else do that?

Thanks again!
Karen

Back to Top View AlwaysLearning's Profile Search for other posts by AlwaysLearning

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

AlwaysLearning wrote:
Angie, the Fagor brand you mentioned seemed to have a lot of good reviews...maybe I'll put it in my shopping cart and wait for the price to drop...does anyone else do that?

Yep!

Let us know what you think of it when you get one. I would be hard pressed to live without it:).

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version