Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: where to find beeswax for candle dipping? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Hi ladies. Do you have a favorite resource to buy candle-dipping supplies?
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sarah, no time tonight, but I'll get back to this tomorrow!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Most of the local craft store type places carry beeswax and paraffin slabs that can be used for making dipped candles. I have purchased it at both Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Wax (beeswax, really) is pretty expensive and I like that I can get it with the coupons at those places. My favorite on-line place is Peak Candles. They have very good quality waxes. But although it is on-line it is actually local to me and I can pick up my orders so there are no shipping charges. Since wax is heavy those charges can really make the price go up. Not sure what your best economical option would be for ordering.

Not sure if that is helpful, Sarah, - can I answer any other candle making supply questions?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Great link MaryM ... but how come you never told me about it when I lived there ??????

I want to try dipping candles, rather than the sheets ... hard, easy, better to just mold????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

So glad to hear Michael's carries it. I always clip my 40% off coupon from the paper, and I'll make sure to get in there and see what they have later this week. I'm sure I'll have more candle-making questions as I go! Thanks so much for your help, Mary!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

When I have needed beeswax I have had my dh troll Ebay.

Mary G. - dipping candles is very easy - what I do is save an olive oil can ( you know those square ones) for dipping - you want a container that is fairly tall but also a bit narrow or else you have to melt a ton of wax.

I place the olive oil can in a large pot of water to melt the wax - sort of like a double boiler. The only other thing you need is wicking - and you need to make sure you get wick based on size of the candle. I imagine most molded candles take a thicker wick.

I also tape down a path on the floor - I use newspaper or a large roll of paper for the children to follow after their dip - the trick to candle dipping is to let each layer set before dipping again - so a little short walk and a rhyme does the trick. This also helps things stay organized if you have a bunch of children dipping.

I tie a loop at the top end of the wick for the children to hold - after the first few dips I do make sure the beginning candle is straight by pulling gently at the other end (pull straight down).

You will also want a knife handy in case the bottom of the candle starts getting too thick - you just shave off the excess. A drying rack comes in handy to let the candles finish drying. I attach the candles by the loop with a bit of masking tape so that I can also write the child's name on it.

Great fun!

Oh if you do get some beeswax that isn't the greatest quality - I have had great luck running melted wax through an old hankie to remove impurities. And...we always save old and broken colored candles to color the wax after dipping - I usually make some ornaments after dipping when the wax gets too low to dip.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Donna -- excellent and concisce directions ... we might have a go at this with our left over Christmas candles!

THANKS!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version