Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Storing dry ingredients Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I am wondering how long pre-prepared dry mixes last...

I just spent the last couple of hours cleaning up my kitchen (we moved in August, but I am only NOW really getting everything unpacked - and it is FINALLY feeling like home!).... and making pancakes for myself and my son... With all my glass jars and other home-made things (cleaners and essential oils were yesterday's projects), I thought it would be nice to have pre-made pancake mix for breakfasts - in jars with a list of needed wet ingredients. I used to do it with my in-home daycare, but got away from it in the last year.

So I made up several glass peanut butter jars full of pancake mix (one "batch" each). Individually those ingredients are fine, but is there anything that changes their longevity when put together (basics like baking powder, flour, salt, powdered milk).

I'm thinking it's a sily question, but I just don't want to discover that I've wasted ingredients!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I make mixes quite a bit this time of year. The most used mix I make is a muffin mix. I have use Make A Mix cookbook and also some from online sources... they are very handy!

Most mixes would store for quite a long time but NOT so long if you are using whole grain flours. They would need to be refrigerated (or frozen) if you weren't going to use them fairly quickly for whole grain flours. (It would go rancid.)

Also, seasoning mixes are good like taco seasoning mix...

HTH...gotta' run...
JoAnna

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version