Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Navajo Christmas Project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 26 2005 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well, it's that time again. I know everyone is so busy with Advent and pre-Christmas activities, I hate to add one more thing to the list of worthy causes, but... I thought I'd make a shameless pitch for the Vanderwagon, New Mexico mission staffed by the Missionaries of Charity. They are serving the poorest of the poor, here in our own country, and are fighting an uphill battle the while! Their mother superior, Sister Mohine, is a doll. I connected with them several years ago when we were in New Mexico because I was looking for a Christmas project that would serve Catholic needy---or at least, wouldn't end up being used as a lure to get Catholic needy into Protestant churches (which is often the case with many of the Protestant programs, worthy though they are). Anyway, the need is definitely there, and it's most definitely a Catholic mission!

They are currently collecting blankets, hot chocolate mixes, teas, instant oatmeals, warm coats, for their elderly. Actually, they're happy to get warm coats for anyone, but their Christmas project is specifically geared toward their seniors. They are having a party for the seniors on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Dec. 12, so need to get things ASAP in order to organize for the party. Also, it occured to me that large gift bags would be helpful, if you wanted to include them. Walmart gift cards can also be used if you don't want to pay the Postal Service all that freight! Anything you all can send, new or gently used items, as well as food items, are greatly appreciated. They were so tickled with the largesse they received last year. And the need is great.

They are also having a Christmas party for the children on the 22nd, I believe, and are collecting goodies for them. My children and I put together gift bags with little gifts and hygiene items, as well as rosaries, beanie babies, gently used sweatshirts or sweaters, matchbox cars, that sort of thing. Sister Mohine told me the bulk of the children are ages 5 to 15, but they also have some younger and older children, too. If you send a shoebox or gift bag, please be sure to send the items unwrapped and label the outside of the box or bag with the following information:

BOY   GIRL
3-4 years
5-6 years
7-8 years
9-10 years
11-12 years
13-14 years
15-16-17 years

I usually print this info on a piece of paper, enlarged, and simply highlight the sex and age of the targeted recipient, then staple/tape it to the box or bag.

If anyone is interested in helping in any way, the address is:

Missionaries of Charity
547D Cousin Road
Vanderwagen, New Mexico 87326

ph. 505/778-5740

This project has been so special for my children over the past few years, because they know they are helping other children, directly. They really get into preparing their boxes and bags! If any of you feels moved to participate in any way, I know the sisters would be most appreciative. Questions, please email me here or at kkuerstein@aol.com   Thank you so much to all who participated last year, and in advance for any help for this year!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2005 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Kelly-
I emailed you. I'm interested in organizing this for our Cub Scouts, but I need to get in high gear. I was wondering when the kids' gift bags need to arrive to them.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Kelly,

Can I forward your post to our local hs groups?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 3:58am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Sara,
   Re: your email, I haven't been able to get hold of Sr. Mohine just yet, but will try again this morning and will let you know asap. Just didn't want you to think I had forgotten!

Maria,
   Sure! Last year the sisters were so excited to have things pouring in from all over the United State-they were like kids in a candy store! Just be sure your hs group mentions they are Catholic homeschoolers, I think the sisters really enjoy the idea of Catholic children helping other Catholic children.

Thanks again to all.

Kelly in FL

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Patty

Kelly,

Thank you so much for sharing this! I told our children about it and they are very excited. We are going to be preparing boxes this week. Not sure how many we will do, but the kids talked about each of them preparing a box for another child the same age.

Patty
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Kelly-
Don't worry. I think I'll go ahead and begin organizing it with the scouts while we're waiting for the date they need it. thanks

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Maria P,
   What a tangled web we weave. I didn't realize your hs contact was my old friend from Washington days, Inchi. She just emailed me about your email! Just goes to show what my old Mother said was true: You always have to behave yourself, because you'll ALWAYS run into people you know!!!

Thanks, again, all of you for your interest. I just spoke with the MCs again, today, and they are delighted!

Kelly in FL

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version