Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Organizing the Office Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

IF your office has a workable organization, will you tell me about it? I'm doing an overhaul here and am realizing we don't have a place for his and hers to-do piles, bills, office supplies, disks, and other desk related stuff. I'd love to see pictures if you have any. Thanks!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kim did a huge filing system, etc overhaul a couple of years ago. She totally inspired me. You can read about it here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

bills get tacked to the bulletin board.. no out of sight out of mind that way

I use a small dresser we were given for supplies and disks etc.

no to do piles except for the "to be filed" pile.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Elizabeth, Kim was very inspiring! She had me greedily perusing the Container Store website for a new filing system. There is good stuff there to use.   

Jodie, how do you do without "to do" piles? I rarely can do things immediately, and often do better work if I've let something simmer awhile in my mind. But I need a place to put the thing I'm working on to remind me to finish it, IYKWIM.

I see from all the responses that many people have *very organized* offices! They probably have a similar problem to mine. The office is also the workout room, the sewing and scrapbook room, and the place to hide things from the kids.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rachel May wrote:
Elizabeth, Kim was very inspiring!

She always is . Glad it was a help.
Let us know how it's going.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Rachel May wrote:

Jodie, how do you do without "to do" piles? I rarely can do things immediately, and often do better work if I've let something simmer awhile in my mind. But I need a place to put the thing I'm working on to remind me to finish it, IYKWIM.

I have an inspirational file that I use to file ideas that inspire me that I can't purchase or work on right away - things like a catalog page of a favorite writing desk I'm wishing for, a favorite paint swatch or 10 that I might be considering for the kitchen.

In the front of your file box, you can hang an extra large hanging file folder. It could be your landing zone - what you might call the to do folder. It would keep paper contained, bills drop in there as well as other announcements, receipts, etc. I go through our landing zone regularly to file items. An accordion/expandable folder works well for this. Our office is a game room, computer room, sewing room...and is alllllllll the way up the looooooooong flight of stairs.    I never walk up there to file daily. So I keep a set of expandable folders (the kind with accordion ribs for sides so that items don't spill out) for each person in the house in a kitchen drawer.

Do you have a drawer in the kitchen you could sacrifice for this purpose? Each member of the family could have their own accordion/expandable file (or you could purchase one with dividers to use for the whole family) all of your to-do lists could go in here, inspirational items you find and want to keep and mull over, gift lists, etc. Then, you could have one file for bills to be tucked into until payday/bill paying time. You can grab that file and head to the computer and pay bills and file into your filing system right from there.

I like pretty things so this week, I'm decorating my file. In fact, I just spent all day yesterday completely re-organizing our sewing/game/computer/office room. It looks so inviting now. Huge sigh of relief. But, I'm knee deep in the pantry over-haul right now...so I better get back to it before the baby wakes. Have fun creating a file system or some other organizing system - it feels like such a load is off after you organize those piles into something lovely and intuitive to look at!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Husband's In-Box:
We use the basement stair wall for "in boxes" and a "transfer center"   for my husband. It's close and easy access.   (his office is downstairs). It makes good use of a vertical space, and is not in sight. It has 3 slots.
1-his in-box, things to take down to his office
2-things to be shredded
3-pieces of paper that he will need to "do" something with in the next week

He has his own office downstairs which is NOT my territory (thank goodness).

I also have a smaller verical thingy with 3 slots near my desk. Bills to be paid go in the top spot. A few misc. certificates, etc. in the second slot. And, the 3rd for checkbooks that we grab on the go.

I have monthly file system in a crate on my desk.....it seems similar to Dawn's. This helps me be able to just DROP things into the right month, which cuts down on papers floating around. Every child has a folder too. And, if there is a current project that requires a file, I'll create a temporary one (ie: bathroom remodel).

Files/Items I need access to on a regular basis go in the hanging file drawer in my desk (easy access). All other files are in a cabinet that is not "atmy fingertips".

I have a moveable in-basket , a Market Basket similar to this onewith a handle on my desk that is my in-box, and EVERYTHING goes in there (except bills). Then it   is mobile for me to bring to other parts of the house and go thru things whenever I need to.

Papers/lists, etc. and other things that I'm actively working on or will need in the next week, go on my Clip Board.

I also have a bin with nonsense that I don't want to throw out, but doesn't exactly have a "home". I go through it about 2/year.

There are lots of misc. boxes for separating my desk drawers.....it's all about boundaries, boundaries, boundaries!!!!

We keep all important documents in the gun-safe. In-coming mail has a basket by the front door.

Is this the type of thing you're looking for, Rachel? What else?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Rachel May wrote:

**My clipboard for single pieces of paper

**I also try to transfer small pieces of information about once/week onto a master to-do list (computer document), so I can throw that piece of paper away

**My big basket eliminates the to-do pile and makes it a to-do-basket, which makes a difference for me. I hate stacks of things, but having a designated basket where things are vertical and I can flip through them is better for me. There are lots of things in that basket....not just papers or things to do, but books, things to think about, catalogues, etc.

**The exposed crate with hanging files. It's important for me that this is an exposed and moveable crate. Works-in-progress just CANNOT be in a hidden drawer for me.

**Bill Slot

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 31 2008 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ok - so reading Suzanne's post, I realize I have a lot of those things too...and they do help keep piles manageable and have a purpose...

I generate a master to-do list on the computer because I'm not afraid to write big chores on this list and keep that in our big files in the kitchen drawer. We pull weekend chores/projects from that list. I like that there is a piece of paper for these big projects to land on that doesn't imply that *this* has to be done tomorrow or next week, but it's written down so I don't forget.

I also generate temporary files like front porch overhaul or kitchen painting project in our file system where I keep a budget for the project, project ideas, receipts, etc. If I anticipate a future big project but know that we won't have the budget to get to it for several months, I still create that file because it gives ideas and papers a place to land.

I keep a basket on my desk, too. It's just a rectangular fabric lined basket from Michael's. It's mostly ideas for lessons and school in here...things like ideas and resources for future unit studies, lessons I'm in the midst of planning, booklists...these are mostly ideas that I'm working on or want to work on, but don't really have a home yet in my school file crate system. I keep pretty floral folders in there and go through it frequently.

The kids each have their own clipboard with detailed, and I mean detailed instructions for chores or clean-up that they may be assigned. I attach a pen to a string on each clipboard for checking off items on the to do list. It is amazing how if you don't tell an 8 year old to turn off the water after washing the bathroom sink, they won't.

I move my project lists or daily lists off my master list onto papers on my clipboard. Grocery lists go here and I taped an envelope to the back of my clipboard to hold coupons I will use for that week. I keep my seasonal menus on my clipboard as well as a listing of the chore divisions for the children. So, my clipboard is my on the go manager, my files in the drawer give papers a place to land, and the file system gives me time to discern what papers are important enough to have a place to live. I purge the file system annually after taxes.

Hope this helps some, Rachel!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

You are getting my ideas poppin'.

Bill does the real office work like bill paying and filing. He really just needs one hanging file for bills and one for pictures the kids draw.    

My office stuff is a pile of school articles to read when I have a chance, cookie mom paperwork, book order stuff....patterns, sewing projects, pictures to file or scan, notecard making supplies........potential blog post ideas....books to mend....things I've printed that I need to do something with.....

I just realized that I have a magazine rack/bookshelf like this that the kids broke. I wonder if I could use files--like the accordian file idea--but put them in it instead of in a drawer. Then they would be off the desk, but still in full view.

OK, onto the closet. First, how do you store fabric/sewing supplies? (I'm an occasional sewer, not hardcore.) How much fabric do you let yourself keep? And pictures that aren't going to get scrapbooked soon if ever. How many do you keep? Bill always gets a class picture from any school he goes to, but is there a good way to save them where he can look at them if he wants? Right now things are getting put into storage boxes so that when they get moved they aren't loose. Any thoughts on micro organizing the stuff in there?

I have the whole month of Jan to get this space sorted.       

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I forgot to say thank you. I read everything you guys wrote, and it's very helpful.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I don't have a sewing/craft room, and am an occasional sewer also.   I only keep ONE BIN of extra fabric.

Pictures - I have little boxes that are about 7 x 5 x 2"high, that I keep pictures to be put in books/scrapped. Every family member has one, along with a "family" one. When I want to work on something, I take that person's box and supplies and go to the table or whatever. I keep them in boxes that are easily-accessed. That way, I'm more likely to put them in their "temporary home" immediatley.    

Class pictures.....how about page protectors in a 3-ring binder? Depends on how big they are. Or, a nice box that is visible for him, that isn't hard to get into, that he can just pull off a shelf when he wants to. Or, a hanging file folder with a stiff/heavy folder to drop them in. I say "stiff" so that the pics don't bend or curl.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 01 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Rachel May wrote:
I just realized that I have a magazine rack/bookshelf like this that the kids broke. I wonder if I could use files--like the accordian file idea--but put them in it instead of in a drawer. Then they would be off the desk, but still in full view.

I think that would be lovely next to your desk with files for everyone set out in a lovely way. You could keep the kid's files down low (I color code the kids files so they're easy to tell apart). Then up high you could keep all of your files for projects, blog posts, book orders and orders outstanding, ideas for inspiration - all set out in your magazine/book rack. I'm envisioning how neat it would be to have a book that was inspiring an upcoming study...you could have a place on the shelf to set your book/s and then a pretty file in front of it to hold your ideas, things you printed off to work with that study, online resources, etc - all set out neatly to help you plan. I think it would be a lovely and inspiring way to keep all of your paper stuff organized. The papers would be tucked away inside some pretty folders, but all would still be within sight to give you a visual reminder to keep things organized. Perfect!

Rachel May wrote:
OK, onto the closet. First, how do you store fabric/sewing supplies? (I'm an occasional sewer, not hardcore.) How much fabric do you let yourself keep? And pictures that aren't going to get scrapbooked soon if ever. How many do you keep? Bill always gets a class picture from any school he goes to, but is there a good way to save them where he can look at them if he wants? Right now things are getting put into storage boxes so that when they get moved they aren't loose. Any thoughts on micro organizing the stuff in there?

For sewing supplies and fabric...I bought a few square shaped clear bins from Target (they are specifically designed to fit on that white-coated-wire-open-shelving used in most closets in homes today - I have them in my closets anyway). I put my flannels in one box, calicos in another, liturgical year fabric in yet another, etc. They're also great for holding ribbons, zippers, buttons and other sewing supplies. They stack securely on top of one another in the closet.

For organizing scrapbooking and photos that....ummm...have been sitting and waiting to be scrapped for several years now ....I like photo boxes. It wouldn't cost a fortune and if you bought several you could stack and label - perhaps one box for each child or instead of a box per child, I prefer to use a box per year. Either way, you can further organize within that box by using colorful cardstock cut to size used as dividers in the photo boxes *or* you can use medium sized mailing envelopes (the orangey ones) bought in bulk at Staples or Costco. Gather the photos for a page or group of pages and store within one envelope and label. The boxes stack neatly and when you're ready to scrap, you can just grab a box and set out your layout.

A nice masculine scrapbook in brown or black from Walmart with drop in sheet protector pages seems ideal for Bill's class pictures - no muss, no fuss - just purchase several extra sheet protector pages and drop the photos in along with any other paper reminders of the school into the sheet protector and set it on the shelf.

Are those the kinds of ideas you were looking for, Rachel?

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Fabulous, Fabulous!

This will keep me busy for the next week, I'll bet. Bill says he'll hang the shelf today, and I think I do have what I need--file folders mostly--to get that set up. Then I'll have to do some supply shopping so I can use your ideas to micro organize the closet and I want some magazine organizers for the bookshelf. Jodie's dresser idea has me thinking since we have a spare right now, but I don't have any more space in the office. Got to rearrange furniture.

Is anyone else doing a major declutter right now?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Rachel May wrote:
Is anyone else doing a major declutter right now?

Yep!!!! But, I only had this week and a little before Christmas. I'm feelin' really good today 'cause so far I've finished....

**The learning room
**All kid's bedrooms
**Office/Gameroom/Sewing room
**Kitchen Pantry
and...just now...
**Garage and Attic over garage!!!!!

I've been cleaning and decluttering like a mad woman. We start lessons this Monday and I won't be able to do any of this then. The next big de-cluttering happens during Lent. I usually get to most of this during Advent, but I didn't this year because the kids got sick towards the end of Advent.

It feels so great to have simplified, restored order and have the things we need accessible and in a place that makes sense. I've been saving a Jane Austen movie and a bottle of wine to reward myself!    Tomorrow night's the night if I can manage to get the big pile of junk I've sorted out of my garage and off to the dump this afternoon!

Have fun organizing, Rachel! I bet if you step back and look at your office and empty it and put things back in a different order you'll find you actually have way more space in there than you thought....and if you're like me...you wonder why you're storing *this* in *here*????? So, re-arranging will likely yield lots of space and you'll (hopefully) end up with an office that is more intuitively ordered.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

hmmm maybe if you told me what things go in your to do box I'd know what I do with those things instead.

I keep as many lists and such as possible on my computer (paper lists find a black hole that I know must be lurking around here) But I do have some spiral bind notebooks (the school ones that go cheap at walmart for back to school) that I write things on the front like "Mommy's!! HANDS OFF!!!" with sharpie.

Bills goes on my bulletin board. Things get written on the calender or put in my cell phone calender (especially nice since I can set a reminder alarm with those)

But for instance, online lists can include things like book wishlists, purchase list.. that's my list for when we get tax returns.. and includes standard things we pay and things we set aside money for in particular and one time things that require more money than we can come up with from one basic paycheck.. I also keep my grocery list there and lists of what I've ordered in the past.. like for grains and other dry goods so I have a better idea of how long things last and how much to get.

Something that's not a bill may also get tacked to the bulletin board.. Like I have some papers to take somewhere Monday and I have those up there in an envelope. Or we kept the recall notice on something in our van up there until the shop was able to get to it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and not to show a false front.. the underlying form is organized.. but I still have a major problem with horizontal clutter magnets and sometimes I'm not sure there's a desk there

-Sir Walter Scott

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version