Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Christmas Presents Siblings can Make Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

My children from the 4yr old to the 15yr old keep asking me for ideas that they can make their siblings. I have not a clue, my head space is busy with what I can make them. Can anyone help me?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

My kids have done easy fleece blankets in favorite colors or team logo. Doll clothes are easy. Pillow cases are pretty easy if you have a sewing machine. Puppets. PJ bottoms. Artwork. Hmmmm. I will be interested in other ideas.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My 14 year old and 15 year old sons are making a "closet" and hangers for their sister's doll clothes. They are using a simple tool box pattern: the 2 long sides are shorter and the ends are tall; then a dowel rod is the handle of the box that is going to be the closet rod. The bottom of the box will be for the little accessories. Then they are using covered wired from the hardware store and shaping it into hangers. We used scrap lumber from around the house. So total cost $1.70 of wire.

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

My oldest is making neck warmers--decorated tube socks, stuffed with dry rice and spices. You stitch the end closed and microwave it 30 seconds or so for a bit of muscle relaxation. The girls made these at Little Flowers and decorated them with fabric paint and made one end into a face with ribbon hair, but you could do all sorts of things with it.

My next daughter is doing custom artwork. She took surveys of everyone's favorite animals and colors and drew pictures and framed them with frames I had bought a year or two ago from Target at 90% off. She'll probably decorate the frames with pompoms and other things before wrapping them. You could try portraits or drawings of favorite toys.

Origami is another good skill you can turn into mobiles.

Mattie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mattie

My dds (4 and 5) have been making Christmas ornaments - stars and candy canes- (beads and chenille, big wool pompoms) and necklace to put sister's miraculous medal and one decade bracelet with big beads for the Hail Mary and tiny beads in between).

It has worked out beautifully. 3 yo ds even made a couple of bead ornaments (with lots of help) for his Godparents, and enjoyed it.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!

Mattie
Back to Top View Mattie's Profile Search for other posts by Mattie

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Catie (17) is doing lots of stitching projects, primarily for the grandparents ... but she's also sewing some things for her siblings (esp for Maggie's doll house).

Thomas (9) is doing wood carving ... making a paperweight for Catie, a pencil/paper holder for Maggie, and he's making coupons for his little brother that will say "play a game for an hour", "play with JP on the computer", "build something with JP", etc. The cool thing is that last year Santa brought Thomas all kinds of wood-carving/burning/chiseling tools and books to get him into the hobby (even though he'd asked for a nintendo or wii). He is actually very into the crafty side of wood and so enjoying the enforce "handmade only" Christmas this year.

Maggie (8) my most organized child is all done with her gifts ... most of which I think are coupons for chore-duty, play-time, reading but I do think she's made a few knitted items like scarves and coasters.

JP (6) NOTHING yet but he will.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

My 5yo made a baking mix for her older sister (layered the dry ingredients in a canning jar, and we printed up the recipe on a tag- then we tied a pretty ribbon on the jar). She also painted a little dinosaur figurine at our local pottery painting studio for her younger brother- though that can get rather spendy. My 7yo helped her grandma make a quilt for her younger sister, and for her brother, she illustrated a book about dinosaurs and trucks.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

How about peg dolls? I made some for my kids, although my painting isn't quite as nice as the pictures on Crafty Crow , they still are cute! I made 5 pirates, 5 princes/princesses, 2 monks, 2 nuns, and a priest. They were fun! This would be a great project for kids to make for each other.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Last year my then 7yo son drew a picture for each of his siblings. I laminated them for him and he got frames at Michael's for $1 which he painted. It was so sweet because he really put so much effort into drawing something that each one would appreciate... a ballerina for his sisters who dance, a character from a video game for his older brother...that sort of thing. They all still have their framed art on display in their rooms!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Ok, in our house swords and medieval armor were the rage a few years ago. You can also make the cape or coat out of scrap fabric in just about any solid color and then paint the crest using the saints symbol. Our dd made swords and cloaks for all the boys a year or two ago. Paints, scrap wood, scrap fabric is all needed.

Also, you can make gauntlets from old gloves and sew on pop top lids. It really does look like chain mail type stuff.

Oh, the boys also made airplanes, troop transporters and submarines out of wood for the siblings. An aircraft carrier isn't too difficult either. The most expensive part was the paint - we had old wood from some very old furniture and scraps. These are not detailed replicas but are clearly what they are. These were done by boys anywhere from 9/10 to 13. Dad helped a little with the cutting.

Jewelry box for the dd. My dd used cardboard and paint to make a jewelry box one year. Another year she used one of those plastic type sheets and wood and made a musical sign, cut holes in the plastic and it has become an earring holder.

We also made doll beds one year - Use old clothes hangers for the canopy part and hand sew fabric over it for curtains. They made blankets and pillows and mattresses in coordinating fabrics. These were absolutely gorgeous but took a bit more wood to make than other things. My husband, again, helped with the use of power toos for cutting the wood but the girls did all the drawing and planning. We made at least 4 canopy beds and one plain one. The children who made these were 8 and 11/12 at the time.

Oh I covered a basket to carry children's dolls in one year. We also made a dollhouse (but this was from a kit). However our therapist made a dollhouse for her children out of cereal boxes and other such.

My children are full of creative ideas and they just pictured things and make all kinds of things just from scraps around the house, I have absolutely no creativity so I always had to have a pattern of some sort if I made anything (and tons of time).

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Here are a few of ours....

Homemade gingerbread house kit
Doll clothes (I had to help with this one)
Homemade marshmallows
A homemade game (cost me a fortune in printer ink, but there you go)
A treasure chest from a kit
A book for the 4yo (story and pictures by the 8yo)
A whole new set of riddles for an existing I Spy book, typed up and taped into the old book
A bunch of Sculpey creations, some glow in the dark. I think there was some "Barbie" food and some little critters
A mancala game from a piece of wood and some polished rocks

A fun one we did one year was a basket full of lovely pebbles,e ach with a word written on it with a marker - poetic words like "dream" and "river" and "sing" with a few prepositions thrown in for good measure. They were "Poetry Pebbles". It was really cute.

There maybe more but there have been a lot of secrets around the place, and now that school is out and the countdown is on, it's going to get worse! It's been fun, though.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh - I love these ideas! Please, keep them coming!

One thing I was thinking for my dd6 to do for others would be to make bookmarks. Either cut heavy cardstock yourself, or Michaels (and even the ReallyBigStoreThatHasEverything) has precut cardstock booksmarks. I will have her decorate them (maybe using this idea from the Crafty Crow, and have them laminated.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

My 8 yr old is making handkerchiefs for her two younger sisters...

We bought two fat quarters in the fabrics she wanted to use, cut them into fourths, and then I helped her to pin the edges back....she's hand stitching them...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We just finished up ours today. My girls made paper ornaments for their brothers to decorate a paper tree that my oldest drew and put up on his wall. He was so proud of it. He never does anything very artistic but decided he wanted a tree in his room, so he made one. He made (with lots of mom help) two peg dolls for his sisters. They are designed to be dolls for their dolls. He painted the faces and helped with the hair. I sewed the neck of the dresses and used the hot glue for him. The littlest one is just going to enjoy being a recipient. He is no good at secret keeping right now so he shouldn't be trusted! Ask me how I know!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

so here is what we did:

dd6 made the bookmarks I had mentioned earlier - taking them to be laminated tomorrow.

ds10 made a tooth faity box for dd6. She is just about to lose her first tooth. It is one of those little wooden treasure chest from the dollar store, he painted and decorated it. Way cute. For dd19, he made a glass tile necklace. very pretty!

dd19 is making peg people (thank you for that idea!) for ds10 of his favorite video game characters. And then she found the "elf cottage" from My Fantastic Toys Etsy shop and has been cutting, gluing and building for dd6.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version