Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Nutrition supplements for pre-teen girls Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have been pondering this subject for a while and am trying to write a blog post on the subject. It is hard to find information - as many books and websites on the subject are and give tmi on subjects that are not relevant to us!

My dd (12) has been on the kiddie vitamins and supplements with the other children - but I am going to be adding more for her. My dd is complex in that she has food allergies - eg fish - so things like fish oil are out of the question. But I have added in flax oil, magnesium and a probiotic. If acne becomes a problem, I am going to try homeopathic medication, zinc and a carotene supplement.

I think a lot of women's health problems have roots in their teenage years - and I am trying to figure out a good way to keep my dd healthy. We do eat healthily though I have trouble getting my dd to drink enough water. But talking to other moms whose girls have acne or other teenage complaints, I am horrified at the cocktail of drugs being prescribed - many of which are potent antibiotics or with known effects on women's fertility. I figure many of the candida problems start with medications like this.

Any of your ideas would be appreciated.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would need to do more research so can't say for sure.. but one I think would deserve looking into would be calcium.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Rainbow Lite makes a teen formula and they seem to have a decent reputation for quality. I agree. There seems to be less info. out there for this age group.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am rereading Superimmunity for Kids (sorry can't link - still residual computer problems) - they have some good suggestions especially re omega 3s and probiotics. I ordered a stack of books out of the library about tween and teen health and nutrition - and they were only about s**t**ds - yuk!

I agree with the calcium - though in conjunction with magnesium.

I use Rainbow Lite Prenatal - I will have to check out their teen stuff.

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

Be careful with calcium supplements, many contain fish/sea food. I have had allergic reactions to them in the past.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Marilyn W wrote:
I think a lot of women's health problems have roots in their teenage years - and I am trying to figure out a good way to keep my dd healthy.

Yes, I am sure this is very true.

I have been drinking Lady's Mantle tea this year and in one of my favourite herbal books, "Health through God's Pharmacy" by Maria Treben, she has this to say about Lady's Mantle:

"Not only is Lady's Mantle beneficial for menstral disorders, "whites", abdominal disorders and indisposition during menopause, but it also helps at the beginning of puberty, together with Yarrow tea, to influence the onset of menstruation favourably. In cases, where, for young girls, menstruation will not commence despite professional medication, it is Lady's Mantle together with Yarrow (mixed in equal proportions) that brings everything into line."

The book's section on Yarrow is impressive, it is also a blood cleanser (skin disorders have their roots, often in toxins in body) In old herbals Yarrow is called "cure of all ills" and can be used in cases that seem hopeless. Yarrow tea activates sluggish kidneys and regulates the movement of the bowels.

Stinging nettle tea is another safe, and all-rounder herb for health and vitality.

The probiotic is an excellent product and one that should always be high up on the list of must takes. Also for a balanced, natural supplement, I would suggest Terramin clay.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just coming back to say as well, cost is always a big factor, especially when you have many children, you are looking for very effective ways to keep children healthy without breaking the budget as it is so easy to do with health items.

Terramin clay is one of the most economical products I've seen but it's uses and affects are excellent.

Dried herbs work out to be economical when using it in tea form, tsp per cup (actually you should always get two cups out of a serving before throwing the dregs)

Probiotic is the only expensive but what I'd call essential item, the only way to compensate this is by introducing fermented foods and beverages to the daily diet - ones my children can't get enough of is sauerkraut, down here it is cheap ($6 for a bottle that lasts half a week if serving it to everyone) of course Nourishing Traditions is full of receipes where you can create fermented foods yourself, thereby saving more money again. You only need to find one fermented food children love in your home and it is an enormous help!

I'd like to add that I've just reading recently one of my best health reads for the year - Gut and Psychology Syndrome probiotics are stressed here and it explains why, masterfully. It also meantions how SO MUCH begins in the bowel, bowel health is crucial to a healthy body.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Anne for all the good advice. I have to do something about getting terramin clay - it has been on my list forever - right now I do not remineralize my ro water at all. I need to find some good probiotics too. I used to make my own kiefer and the kids loved it in smoothies - I am just not with it right now Nobody will touch sauerkraut in my house except me (and right now with olives and humus and salad it is one of the few things I can eat!!)

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Marilyn, they introduced flouride to our public waters on the 1st of December here, so we have just had our ro water installed, so our St Benedict's well is functional in earnest now and the clay is in that pot (along with the St Benedict medal!)

Something that we have all being loving at present is sheep's yogurt, which would contain pro-biotics in it's cultured state. What I do is buy frozen blueberries and I put a handful of them in the bottom of the bowl, drizzle the smallest amount of raw honey and then add a couple of tablespoons of sheep's yogurt, it makes the most delicious ice-cream, as we eat it before the berries de-frost, a great summertime pro-biotic!

So it is a food that is high in antioxidants (berries), all the health benefits of honey (anti-bacterial) and the sheep's yogurt (pro-biotic)

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Marilyn, what a great topic! I've just started pondering our health/food/vitamins again, it's a frequent new year's resolution for me! So I'll be watching this thread closely.

Anyone have a suggestion for vitamins that are either in liquid or super tiny pill form? Dd just had a bar placed in the back of her mouth with the braces and swallowing pills has become a huge problem.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version