Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Lady of Guadalupe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Her feast is December 12. I'm putting together a mini-Advent retreat (mostly craft sessions) for homeschoolers on that day, so I do want to emphasize her feast. I have a few ideas, haven't nailed down particulars, but I thought I throw mine out and ask for others.

Party for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

This site and this site have some great information about the significance of her apparition and image.

How to Draw Our Lady of Guadalupe

Women for Faith and Family

Catholic Culture

Illuminated Ink have some great kits, Marian Grotto Kit for OLG and Cut and Color Pages Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Last year, Kelly suggested music from SAVAE. I bought "Guadalupe, Virgen de los Indios" and just love it. I want to get all their cds...but I have to be patient. I've been playing mine this past week. My son (age 2) and I have been listening carefully and can easily pick out the primitive instruments and play along or imitate...instruments like a drum, sticks (with the notches? what are they called? ), tamborine, rattley things (I'm brain dead today). We're having a lot of fun with that. The music is beautiful, but we just took it another dimension. So my ds will be well-versed in Mexican and Austrian folk music this year!

MexGrocer.com has quite a variety of Guadalupe items. I also bought my Juan Diego and OLG candles from my grocery store, so I'm all set!

Of course, Our Lady of Guadulupe by Tomie de Paola is just perfect. The little St. Joseph Picture Books have a title on Our Lady of Guadalupe which I think is really good.

Anyone make "God's Eyes" for this feast?

Our Lady of Guadalupe from Domestic-Church.

Making a Pinata.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Thanks for the ideas Jenn. I want to check out that music. I think I'm going to be doing Elizabeth's Tomie unit idea of the procession with hot chocolate and treats, after reading the book of course. Instead of making a felt banner, I'm going to try to draw a large picture of Our Lady and give the kids tiny paper squares to make a mosaic. I've never done this before so I have no idea how it will work out. I have a Creative Memories square punch, so I don't expect it to take too much time.

December 12th is also my son Joseph's 5th birthday, so dinner will be his choice and we'll probably do another food treat that day, with singing to him and opening his gifts. Matthew's birthday is on the 11th and their family party is on the 10th. Then my Goddaughter's 1st birthday is on the 14th, so we'll be celebrating quite a bit that week.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Since we add an ornament representing a saint to our tree for the days in early Advent - OLOG is one we have. I used one of the unfinished ceramic/plaster ornaments from the craft shop, painted it blue with embellishments, then decoupaged a picture (downloaded from the internet) of Our Lady of Guadalupe onto it. I think it turned out nice and it a great addition to the tree.

Since that is actually a bit involved to try to do at the retreat I've been trying to think of a less complicated way for you to make nice ornaments that could be used year after year. The grotto from Illuminated Ink would be nice but probably too big and heavy to be a practical ornament. What I came up with is using a rubber stamp to stamp an image either in polymer clay (to bake) or air-dry clay. There are really light weight air-dry clays (Paperclay, Makin's Clay) which is probably the most practical (not messy and dries in 24 hours - or 15 minutes in a warm oven). Another air day clay that would look really neat as it "imitates" mexican pottery in the reddish look is Amaco Mexican pottery clay (but it is a bit messier clay to work with so with a large group might not be a good option). Anyway there are numerous sites that give techniques for stamping in clays like this.

The JLM Connections - Catholic Rubber Stamps has a OLOG stamp - scroll to the bottom of the page.

Basically it would mean rolling out the clay, using an oval cutter to cut the shape, make a hole in top (to string ribbon through later), stamp the image into the clay with a permanent ink on stamp, and let dry. The children could take it home and paint it after it dried or you could make the imprinted ornaments ahead of time and have them just paint them (actually I'd probably use markers) at the retreat. When coloring is dry just needs to be sprayed with a sealant and thread a ribbon through hole to hang.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2005 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Great stuff, as usual!

We had a really fun feast day with another family a few years ago. I set up stations for the kids around the house and they spent some time at each one. One of the projects was Papel Picados.

We did the God's eyes one year for Lent but they'd work great for this feast too. What you do is write on one of the sticks a gift (a sacrifice, virtue, etc.) for Jesus; so at this time of year you could tie it in with the Christmas novena or as a Christmas gift for Jesus.

I think another topic we covered was cocoa/chocolate and then of course we had hot cocoa w/cinnamon . I borrowed a wooden puzzle of Mexico from a friend and the kids learned the states. They also learned some Spanish.

Tissue paper roses or celery roses (chop the stalks off and you are left with a "rose stamp" that you can dip in acrylic paints) stamped on a banner are another great art project.

At our church, they are meeting at 5:30 a.m. to serenade Our Lady and Mass will be at 6:30 a.m. Fr. (he's from Mexico)will be hosting breakfast after that.   

Jamberry77
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 22 2005 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Jamberry77

Hi Jenn,

That's kind of you to hold a class of Advent crafts for the kids. In our co-op class, I had a "lift the flap" St. Juan Diego. I sketched out a bishop and St. Juan Diego and drew Our Lady of Guadalupe on his tilma. Then I scanned and printed those on cardstock. Then I traced over the original tilma, and drew four of those on one paper, then scanned and printed those on cardstock. The effect is you glue the top of the blank tilma over St. JD's real tilma with the image on it, then you can lift it to see Our Lady. Then I provided clip art rose bouquets to be glued on around the feet of St. JD. The kids liked it alright.

Love,
Kelly in NC
Back to Top View Jamberry77's Profile Search for other posts by Jamberry77

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2005 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

What great ideas. I love the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Although I grew up around Spanish speakers, took Spanish for 18 years or some such ridiculous number (!!!), majored in Spanish Lit with lots of history AND did grad work in Contact Era history, I had NEVER heard the story about Our Lady of Guadalupe until about 9 years ago. Isn't that wild?

Anyway, I was pondering that a fun food item for this feast day would be Churros with Chocolate (take that cocoa theme and run with it...). You can get Churros from the grocery store in the frozen section. Chocolate can easily be ordered from Spanish Tienda, or any of the sites already listed, I expect.

Also, the traditional song for this day is "Las Mananitas". I believe it's on the SAVAE recording, Virgin de los Indios, that Jenn mentioned, and you can find the words if you google it. This is a simple and lovely song that you can teach your children.   We're still working on all the words in our house, but we got the tune! Anyway, you will hear it sung if you attend any hispanic celebrations of Our Lady of Guadalupe and it's just so pretty. My old Spanish teacher, who is Mexican, says this song is also traditionally sung to young girls on their birthdays, a tradition we've hijacked in our household

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly wrote:
Also, the traditional song for this day is "Las Mananitas". ...snip> My old Spanish teacher, who is Mexican, says this song is also traditionally sung to young girls on their birthdays,

Yes Kelly, this is the song that will be sung at our church on the morning of the feast. In fact that's the name of the gathering. Dd's godmother who has lived in Mexico says that Las Mananitas is sung outside the window early in the morning. What a great idea to have the whole family learn it! I wonder if we could get it down by the 12th?   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
I used one of the unfinished ceramic/plaster ornaments from the craft shop, painted it blue with embellishments, then decoupaged a picture (downloaded from the internet) of Our Lady of Guadalupe onto it.   

Thanks to Tim, for helping me post this picture. This is the ornament that we made for OLOG feast day to hang on the tree.

MaryM wrote:
What I came up with is using a rubber stamp to stamp an image either in polymer clay (to bake) or air-dry clay.   

Here is a sample of an ornament made with this technique - not an Our Lady of Guadalupe stamp since I don't have one, but thought it would give you an idea of how it might look anyway.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Mary, that is helpful...and gorgeous. My sister and I met today to nail down our crafts and OLG was still up in the air. I'll mail this to her and see if she changes her mind. Our hesitation was that the stamp was so small.

What did you use for coloring the images?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
What did you use for coloring the images?

The OLOG was just acrylic paint for the blue, white and gold. The OLOG image was a picture.

I colored the St. Joseph and Infant Jesus (on Air-dry clay) with a Dove blender and chalk pastels - not what I would have a large group of children do. I would probably use waterbase brush or thin markers. Colored pencils also work on the air-dry clay (or watercolor colored pencils). Just tried that and it works pretty well.

FYI, the St. Joseph image I used is 1 3/4 X 1 3/4 so it is even smaller than the OLOG from Cath. Rubber Stamps.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

As I'm sitting here thinking, I had another idea for an adaptation to the first ornament. Using Sculpey (or other polymer clay) in a blue, roll out and use oval cookie cutters to make a large number of ovals. Make hole in top for stringing ribbon. Prebake and have those ready for the retreat. Then children could cut out pictures of OLOG that you provide (from holy cards or downloaded from internet or photocopied). Have them decoupage (or just glue if you prefer) them to the center of the oval ornament. They could also paint stars or other embellishments around the outside of the picture on the sculpey background. String with ribbon. Let dry - voila. I think it would give the same effect as the first ornament, but less detailed in the construction process.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
As I'm sitting here thinking,

And I'm so grateful you did...you're so wonderfully helpful!

MaryM wrote:
I had another idea for an adaptation to the first ornament. Using Sculpey (or other polymer clay) in a blue, roll out and use oval cookie cutters to make a large number of ovals. Make hole in top for stringing ribbon. Prebake and have those ready for the retreat. Then children could cut out pictures of OLOG that you provide (from holy cards or downloaded from internet or photocopied). Have them decoupage (or just glue if you prefer) them to the center of the oval ornament. They could also paint stars or other embellishments around the outside of the picture on the sculpey background. String with ribbon. Let dry - voila. I think it would give the same effect as the first ornament, but less detailed in the construction process.

I like this a lot...it's a little more my comfort zone and doable in the small space of time we have. We needed less detail. Now, would glue dots work? And you said markers would work on the polymer?

Sorry to ask so many questions...I have limited experience in quite a few areas!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2005 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Now, would glue dots work? And you said markers would work on the polymer?

Glue dots would work okay for simple adhesion of the picture. The problem would be that over time the paper could easily tear, so if you want a more permanent ornament I would still recommend the decoupage idea. You can do it with Mod Podge or even regular school glue (thinned a bit). Using a foam brush, brush it on the polymer clay ornament and add the picture, then brush over again with the glue/Mod Podge. It dries in about 10-15 minutes.

I suggested the markers for the air-bake clay. If you use markers on polymer clay you would need to use a permanent marker (like Sharpie or Fabric markers) not waterbased. Another thing is that markers won't show up well on the dark colored polymer clay anyway. On that dark polymer I would suggest a metallic marker like this: Marvy Metallics or Sharpie Metallic. These markers take a little time to dry so you'd have to add that to the project time. Another option is to use gold star stickers and decoupage over the whole thing. Probably the easiest option.

Our Domestic Church

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 30 2005 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary, I love the ornament idea! Who knew there were metallic Sharpies? And I like those stars too...We're going to do this!

We are also going to make these Marian Grottoes--I picked up some kits at the Catholic Shop.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

This is a fantastic thread!!!!!!!

(Madly revising lesson plans...)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 04 2005 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A go-along book for this feast day could be A Santo for Paqualita by Ann Nolan Clark (illustrated by Mary Villarejo, Viking Press, 1959) - which is unfortunately OOP. For those who are not familiar with this author, she wrote primarily about the southwest and the cultures of that region. They very frequently have a lot of faith topics underlying the stories as the culture of the southwest is very religious. This story isn't about OL of Guadalupe but the feast day celebration is central to the ending of the book.

Basic summary: A little girl, Pasqualita, lives in an orphanage run by sisters (probably the Sisters of Loretto). There is a lot of interaction with the children and the sisters as they prepare of the arrival of some visitors. Pasqualita is adopted by this visiting elderly couple who become her grandparents. Pasqualita is happy and sad at this change - the story is about her transition to becoming part of the new family. The gentleman is a Santero (carver of wooden saint's images - santos). Pasqualita learns about the patron saints and the images the santero carves. She is sad that she doesn't have a santo. Her new grandfather tells her everyone has a patron saint - " ...a special friend to guard us and to guide us through our days and nights." He wants to make her an image but no one in the village has a likeness or image to view of her saint (Pasqual). They send word throughout the region hoping that someone will help them find his likeness.

Pasqualita asks the Holy Family to help her earn a place in her new family and Nino de Atocho to help her learn to cook (her new job in the family). During the many feast days throughout the year different people offer to share their santos with Pasqualita. Then on the feast of OL of Guadalupe, a traveling troubadour brings with him a picture of St. Pasqual so that her grandfather can carve her Santo. He explains that in Mexico, he is known and loved there and honored as the Kitchen Saint who never lets a traveler go hungry from his door. Pasqualita realizes that she didn't need to have a Santo carving in order to have the blessing of her saint - St. Pasqual had been looking out for her all along as she learned the new skill of cooking for her family.

It is such a touching story. Beautiful black and white lithograph illustrations. It is just so full of faith and saints as a part of everyday life. This is an in-between book - more than a picture book, but a pretty short chapter book.

Our Domestic Church

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2005 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

FYI - Elizabeth,

Found those Sharpie metallic markers at Walmart the other day.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 05 2005 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

My husband had a wonderful idea for Our Lady of Guadalupe that I had to share: We are making Our Lady of Guadalupe t-shirts from images printed onto iron-on transfer paper for the kids to wear that day. We originally wanted to have the kids color their own pictures of Our Lady to iron onto shirts but I didn't know where to begin to find the supplies for that project and the kids in our group are still 5 & under so we are going with images from the internet. I think it would be nice to tye-die shirts for this project next year, just to make them more interesting, but my crew is still very young and white t-shirts are the easiest for us to use. I tested the transfer paper today to make an OLG banner. My 3-yo ds walked around with it tied to a broom stick for over an hour while the 5-yo made a make-shift sensor from a rope tied to a bucket of blocks.    

I am waiting 'til the last minute to plan things, as usual, but we decided yesterday to invite a very large number of people to our small house for a fiesta next Monday. Thanks to all for the great ideas.   
Back to Top View rashfordmom's Profile Search for other posts by rashfordmom

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My friend used that same idea to be St. Veronica for All saints' day one year. It turned out really well.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2005 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BrendaPeter wrote:
FYI - Elizabeth,

Found those Sharpie metallic markers at Walmart the other day.

I only found Silver metallic Sharpies, and wanted Gold. I have these Prang Metallic Markers that work great on everything...even the Sculpey Clay. I picked these up years ago at some craft store (can't even remember) and they have been put to good use!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version