Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: safety of large doses of B vitamins? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I finally ran down some liquid prenatals because I can't swallow pills (and don't worry, I'm not pregnant, just still nursing quite a bit). But they have really high doses of the B vitamins -- like 1200-1700 % more than the RDA for most of them. Is this safe? The stuff I can find online is inconclusive.

(the brand name is Buried Treasure: Prenatal Plus DHA Complete.)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well the RDA is the MINIMUM needed to prevent deficiency DISEASES.. it's not an optimum for health.

My book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Balch lists..

B1 (thiamine) 50-100mg

B2 (riboflavin) 15-50mg caution- taking over 50mg daily over a long period of time may lead to cataracts and retinal diseases

B3 (niacin) 15-50mg or (niacinamide) 50-100mg caution - people who are pregnant or who suffer from diabetes, glaucoma, gout, liver disease, or peptic ulcers should use niacin supplements with caution. Niacin may elevate blood sugar levels. Amounts over 500mg daily may cause liver damage if taken for prolonged periods.

B5 (Pantothenic acid) 50-100mg

B6 (pyridoxine) 50-100mg caution - prolonged uses of high doses of B6 (over 1000mg per day) can be toxic, and may result in nerve damage and loss of coordination.

B12 200-400mcg (notice the C in that one it's microgram which is 1/1000 of a milligram)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

The National Institute of Health has this on B12:

The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies did not establish a UL for this vitamin because vitamin B12 has a very low potential for toxicity. The IOM states that "no adverse effects have been associated with excess vitamin B12 intake from food and supplements in healthy individuals" [7]. In fact, the IOM recommends that adults older than 50 years get most of their vitamin B12 from vitamin supplements or fortified food because of the high incidence of impaired absorption in this age group of vitamin B12 from foods that come from animals [7].

NIH B12

and this on B6:
Too much vitamin B6 can result in nerve damage to the arms and legs. This neuropathy is usually related to high intake of vitamin B6 from supplements, [28] and is reversible when supplementation is stopped. According to the Institute of Medicine, "Several reports show sensory neuropathy at doses lower than 500 mg per day" [12]. As previously mentioned, the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine has established an upper tolerable intake level (UL) for vitamin B6 of 100 mg per day for all adults [12]. "As intake increases above the UL, the risk of adverse effects increases [12]."NIH B6

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

You can search "UL" as in Milehimama's post or "upper limit" (or I guess "upper tolerable intake level" but I do get results for just "upper limit") for any vitamins or minerals you're concerned about.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version