Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Walker Wagons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My almost 1 year old is close to walking, and since his birthday and Christmas corresponds to this starting point, I thought a walking wagon or a push toy would be nice.

Any experience? I'm looking for a wooden one, not overly large.

Melissa and Doug have a clacker one, which I'm not fond of the extra noise.

Haba has a few...expensive, but I'm leaning towards that.

Radio Flyer Walker Wagons

We never had a toy like this for our first son. No ride on toys, either, so we're starting from scratch.

I'll admit, I've become a total snob. I went to ToysRus alone to peruse the aisles and get inspired, and I came out with no ideas at all, just total disgust -- plastic, loud, obnoxious toys, most made in China.

Rant aside, just any personal experience would be a great help!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have 2 seconds, Jenn...but I'm considering something like this for Katie's birthday. (So with you on the rant btw!!!!)

I haven't looked into the country of origin yet, but I like the 1, 2, 3 Grow With Me at Magic Cabin.

I'll be watching for other ideas!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

We have this Radio Flyer Walker Wagon and Lydia LOVES it. If you watch the price, it sometimes goes down to $50, but I don't know if it will again before Christmas.

It does have a little clacking noise, but it's not annoying (at least to me, and noises bug me usually). It's very sturdy, and the sides come off and go back on easily. It's easy to push, and has a bumper on the front. Turning is a little tough, but that's why it's sturdy.

I chose that one because I figured it would be useful for years to come - she can fill it with toys, etc. We did have a FP walker for the boys, but it wasn't useful like a wagon.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Seth is enjoying pushing around the wooden stroller from Magic Cabin (made in Colorado). We also have the Little Tikes shopping cart(maybe made in US?) which has been a hit with all of my pre-walkers. Very sturdy! I do like the look of the 1-2-3 grow with me at Magic Cabin. We just don't have room for one more push toy!

Last year, in a pregnancy stupor, I stopped in at ToysRUs in December. I found NOTHING, just discouragement at all the junk. Even their selection of things like Little Tikes was disappointing. I can't think of any reason I would go in there again.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was looking at the Magic Cabin ones, too. Out of stock until January 8, though.

Nova Natural looks like a good one.

I was also looking at an older catalog of Michael Olaf for a wagon, but it seems they now carry the Radio Flyer, which is made in China.

Haba Walker Wagon or Car Walker.

Melissa and Doug one

The price contrasts is amazing. If you want not MIC, it's over $100. So car or wagon? Haba or Nova Natural? Decisions, decisions....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Jenn,
I know the Haba products from Germany. This will last longer than just one generation of kids. We use it for keeping the stuffed animals in it when not being used otherwise. We have the baby carraige and our girls would push their younger sister around in it. Some kids use it as a transporter for wooden blocks, legos... The balance of it is very good so that a toddler can pull himself up without it immediately toppling upon him.
I don't know the other products. Haba is expensive, but you have something that you will always keep.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We gave our daughter a wickerwork pram for her first birthday. It wasn't cheap, but it doubled as a walking toy plus a doll storage facility, and both she and our 4yo son play with it a lot. At first, when she was less stable we added a weight under the matress over the front axle - we just used a wheat pillow, although really we didn't need it. But I can't believe we ever needed to do that now!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Just a heads up to recommend a test push before buying. We bought this push-along dog for our little one's first birthday. He is beautiful (and UK made!), but sadly hard to manoeuvre, both for her and for us. With hindsight I think it would have been better to go for something like this.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kathryn UK wrote:
Just a heads up to recommend a test push before buying. We bought this push-along dog for our little one's first birthday. He is beautiful (and UK made!), but sadly hard to manoeuvre, both for her and for us. With hindsight I think it would have been better to go for something like this.

He is cute! My mother was looking at some of the designs and said to make sure the handle wasn't straight up and down, otherwise the child can't walk up straight without hitting the toy. The Haba car seems to fit that criteria. And the wagon you linked also does, but some others don't.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

just one other thought here.. what are your floors like? many of these things work great on carpet or grass.. but if you have wood floors they roll so fast that the little can't keep up with them or they can't use them for any support at all.

We find a simple cardboard box or laundry basket are the best toys for walker with our wood floors.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Ikea has a good one--but in stores, only. Not online. Which is unfortunate, as I was looking for a similar item for my boys (both "barely" walking, and needing more confidence/practice)....the closest store to me is 2 hrs+ away. Too far.

And everything closer to me is cheap MIC plastic.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

This is a slightly different direction, but the Radio Flyer Scoot About is great for soon to be walkers. It has a narrow frame which makes it easy to straddle, and it steers which made it easy for James to go where he wanted to on it.

I put James on his when he was 1 year and only able to walk while holding onto furniture, and before I knew it he was running all around the house. He's 2.5 now and still loves to ride it so it has transitioned to an outside toy.

It will be coming back inside for Joseph to use soon.

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote KerryK

We have the Haba car walker, bought it for ds for his first birthday. It's pretty big, but really versatile, and I would say one of his favorite things still (he's nearly two). He likes to put things in it and push it around. Also, he is a huge fan of anything with wheels, which is why we went for the car shape!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I appreciate all the helpful responses! Thanks, everyone!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I went with [url=http://www.blueberryforest.com/wooden_pull-along_push-along_toys/haba_pushing_car_1623.htm]HABA car Walker Wagon[/url[ for N's birthday, and he loves it. We're very pleased. I also want to give 2 thumbs up for the customer service at Blueberry Forest.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version