Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: What do I put on this child?! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Dd, almost 13, is about 5'2". She is still growing and changing, getting hippy and bustie, but still has a wider waist. We can't find any clothes that are modest, age appropriate and reasonably priced. When we shop for petites, the prices are high and many of the styles are either too revealing or too "old" looking, like sweaters and blazers, etc.

What's a mom to do?! She is still growing so I don't want to sink a fortune into a wardrobe. My main focus right now is an outfit for Mass. She has been wearing the same skirt for two years now and is literally bursting out of it!

Help!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I am that same height, and I am able to find clothes at Old Navy, and Lands End. Perhaps she can do a staple church skirt from lands End, and do fun/age appropriate tops from Old navy. I like the sweaters and turtlenecks. I also think they do a nice job with button-down shirts, which you can pair with tank tops underneath or pair with a cute cardigan.

Am I helping? Or just rambling....I hope the former! LOL

Does she want to come raid my closet?   

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Molly, having a 'developing' 11 year old daughter, that is about the same height as yours, I am having the same problems - right down to a proper church outfit. Here is what we are doing:No Pattern A-Line Skirt
This is SO easy, I'm serious. She can pick out fabrics and such that way too. I made one for myself too, at nearly 8 months pregnant, and it was SO easy!!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

My 13yo dd can still shop in the girls' dept. at Kohls. Don't know if yo have one near you . She is also about5'2" and only recently began to slim down in the waist. She can almost always find modest , stylish clothes there and is dreading the day she has to move on in to the Jr.'s dept. Not as many modest choices!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Fuzzy- we'll be right over!

Thanks for the suggestions! Kohl's has been hit or miss for us. It tends to be a little too trendy for dd. The Lands' End skirt is a good idea.

Lisa- I actually bought a pattern for a skirt this summer and forgot all about it! Maybe dh and dd could take a daddy/daughter field trip to the fabric store to pick out a fabric. I am embarrassed to admit it, but dh knows how to sew and I don't.

I just happened to get a catalog this afternoon that has a skirt that might work. It is stretchy and looks long enough, so I don't have to worry about her growing out of it with the next spurt:Women's Butterfleece Skirt Do you think she could dress it up enough for Mass?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Oh, gosh! I went through this, too--only my almost 13 yo is 5'4 and still going, so at least now she can wear women's sizes!

One source that really helped us find Mass clothes was this one:

French Toast Uniforms

They carry girls sizes up to 20 as well as juniors and slim; the pleated skirts are knee to just below knee length and look modest with tights, and there are also longer skirts if you don't like the shorter ones.

Colors are basic, with khaki and navy being the most common; prices are pretty reasonable, and they wash and wear well. While pairing them with a "school blouse" or cardigan makes the outfit look schoolish, you can put the long navy skirt with any number of cute, stylish tops or sweaters to vary the look.

I honestly don't know what I would have done without these when the girls were in that transitional age between the girls' dept. and petites/women's small sizes, esp. since I don't sew. I shopped sales for some cute extras to help them dress up or down, and usually found one or two dresses that would work, but the French Toast skirts were the favorites!

My youngest dd has one of their "skorts" which I will let her wear to church in the heat of the summer here in TX--it looks like a skirt, and only she knows how comfy and cool it really is.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My almost 12 yo is 5'3" and will be much taller than that when she's done growing. She's so tall and slim - I couldn't find anything for her to wear in a skirt that didn't fit her like a belt! I started shopping in women's clothing sizes for her. I look for the smallest size and then I get it home and put two simple darts in the waist to accomodate for her very slim waist size. We have nice thrift and consignment stores down here so I buy mostly nicer brands (Land's End, Talbots, Ann Taylor) because they hold up so well and since they're second hand I don't feel quite so intimidated walking in the door and turning on the sewing machine. A skirt and blouse is much easier to shop for than a dress. Good luck with much empathy!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

teachingmyown wrote:
I am embarrassed to admit it, but dh knows how to sew and I don't.

same here he'd make a great tailor

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I have had great luck at the thrift store. Lots of great clothes in size 0 - I guess people don't stay that size for long! We went recently and left with several skirts that she really liked. She (DD age 13) also sews some. I usually fill in the gap with tops from Old Navy or Target since she still needs a 14/16 childs size.

For patterns, I have had a hard time finding nice modest yet acceptable styles for my tweens and teens. Most of the styles my DD 11 picks out don't go past a child's size 8.

If money was no object, I would probably just order from Lands End or Hanna or Boden.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I empathize with you and your daughter, Molly! One of the things my 10 year old dd wants for Christmas is a dress. I looked at Target and found nothing. I spent a few nights online looking for something.

It's as if they do not make normal girls' dresses these days! Everything is very fancy and Christmas-y. I could only find a few options that looked pretty and up-to-date in style, and they were all short sleeved, which I really don't want this time of year! I finally found a handful of skirts (some stylish, some classic looking) on eBay that were possibilities. (You might want to try that for your dd.)

In the end, I went to Kohls, remembering that I had found nice things there in the past, as Chris mentioned. There were absolutely no skirts, other than black velvet (which we already have) and no normal (non holiday) dresses. The thing I ended up settling for is a pretty top from the clearance section which is fancy enough to pair with her brown gauchos for Mass. What a disappointment!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version