Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Wii rules and such Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

We are considering getting a Wii for Christmas. Until now we have stayed away from video games. Now we are considering this system. Do you have one? what are your rules? how long do you let your kids play? 'Do you find them any better than x-box or whatever else there is? are they truly more of an active game?

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I just saw basically this questions somewhere else and the recommendation was that.. some game/part of the system that you have to get extra is called something like "outdoor challenge" is quite active and if that's what you're going for would be the thing you want.. and something about the fit board being finicky for young users to manage.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

We bought a Wii this last summer. We do not have any other system (other than PC-based games). After working through the initial binge period , I've found the kids have been substantially self-regulating. That said, my son is in bricks and mortar school and swims four or five nights a week, so there simply isn't time to play very much except on the weekends. He and a friend, and my husband, are downstairs playing right now, for the first time this weekend.

My homeschooled daughter knows there is no Wii time during school hours. She would rather play with her brother anyway, so she waits for him to be home and available to play.

I find the games are pretty active. We have Lego Stars the Complete Saga, Wii Sports and Wii Play. Our kids play Wii Sports the most, followed by Wii Play, and can work up a sweat doing so. I like the fact they are up and around more with the Wii than they are with the computer, and they are interacting with each other rather than solely with a screen and a joystick.

We've had a positive experience so far.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

We got a Wii last Christmas and enjoy it quite a bit. When we first got it, everyone wanted to play ALL the time, but it quieted down over the last year. I would say the boys play 2-3 times a week, but there have been plenty of weeks when it hasn't been touched.

Wii happens after everything else is done -- school, chores, extra chores, etc.

I don't set time limits most days, and the kids seem to self-regulate just fine. If they argue over a game, the Wii goes off and stays off for at least 24 hours. (they're allowed to have discussions, and ask for help in determining fair play, but NOT argue)

The remotes must be put away, as well as all the games at the end of play. Games must not be allowed to be left in the Wii. If I find a game out of place, or a remote on the floor, then I confiscate all the remotes. Sometimes, it's days later before they realize the remote are gone -- so they lose it for 24 hours after they realize they're gone. (I know, that sounds kinda anal - but we have a dog and a toddler who will chew on the remotes or game cases, and they need to learn to put things away properly.)

Most of the games we have are active -- we have Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (one of my faves), Mario Kart . . . the kids are up and moving regularly when playing.

I watch for deals when buying games -- sometimes you'll see buy 2 get 1, or deeply discounted games when a new version is about to be released. I've been holding one game for 6 months now that I got at a deal and will be a Christmas present.

We don't have another gaming system, although my husband would like a Playstation. He's not getting one anytime soon. LOL!

Hope that helps! (Oh, and I just reviewed the new Wii Madagascar game on my blog if anyone is interested in that one)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Good question and great answers, my kids are getting a Wii for Christmas. I like your rules Melanie, I think I will print them out and post them on the Wii box. Thanks also for the game suggestions. I have a feeling ours will get a lot of use during the winter when they only swim one day a week. Once spring sports begin they are pretty busy.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks everyone.

The thing is to find a Wii, they seem to be sold out.Maybe I won't have to make a decision after all. I like your rules Melanie. If we end up getting one, I might steal them.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version