Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: moving a blog Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Looking at the current state of the economy (and the future state of our own personal economy), dh and I have decided we need to economize a bit. I'm afraid that the first thing I need to economize on is going to be blogging. I don't think I can justify the $$$ for typepad anymore.

Any opinions about whether wordpress or blogger is better? Would either of them pose a problem for the many, many pictures I like to post? Any hints about how to make it easier for people to find blogs once they have been moved?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Angela, I have blogger and I love to have posts with 15 - 20 photos at a time, they then can be clicked on and blow up quite big, so I don't think there should be a problem there with blogspot.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I L-O-V-E blogger!! (That comes from a mum who has typepad for my beads business and I still haven't mastered it like I want to. )

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

I've blogged with both, but have ended up with Wordpress. One of the reasons is that it does allow you to have private posts (not that I've use this feature:-) )

At the time I made the decision to use Wordpress, there were features that weren't available in blogger, but I have a feeling they are now—so it may not make a difference.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Another vote with Wordpress from a previous Blogger and MT (Typepad's platform) user. Though like Fe says, Blogger now has many features that it didn't have when I switched from them to WP. That said, I wouldn't trade Wordpress for anything!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Forgot to answer your last question -- if you want, you can e-mail commenters to let them know of the move. Post a last post that tells your readers where you moved -- so at least between now and the time they take off your blog, visitors will know to change their bookmarks. When you make your first post at the new site, make sure you mention where you were blogging before -- the url and the blog title you used -- so that if anyone misses your "moving announcement" they can google you and still be able to find you.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

I have been on Blogger for years, but I work online and all of my client sites use Wordpress.

Wordpress is MUCH superior in regards to photos. Easier to upload (you don't have to do it one at a time). Easier to find (love the media gallery).

The only reason I haven't switched my personal blog yet is because I haven't had the time- but it's on my agenda!

Also, Wordpress allows you to have PAGES and POSTS.

One more thing - Blogger is owned by Google and they allow users to "flag" your blog. Too many flags and your blog could be taken down by Google. I post a lot of politics and prolife stuff, and it's something that worries me (if an opposing group decides to target my blog, for example.) I don't know what WordPress's policy is.

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angela,

I use Wordpress for my blogs, but I'm a guest user at Blogger and Typepad blogs, and Wordpress is my favorite. There are pluses and minuses to all of them, but I keep coming back to WP.

I wasn't able to switch my blogspirit blogs to WP, as they didn't have the choice, but there is an option to import:

"Movable Type and TypePad Import posts and comments from a Movable Type or TypePad blog"

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version