Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Winter Hair Doldrums Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know it's not officially winter, but my wavy almost curly hair has gone flat. So now I need to figure out a new style to deal with the limp, flat, almost straight hair.

Anyone else have this problem? I know it's mainly because the air is so dry -- humidity makes my hair wavy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, I wish I had a solution for you. I am growing my hair out right now, and it is already super straight and limp. The dry air does not help a bit. I broke out the curling iron the other day, just to give it some interest.

I was looking at these Lucy Hair Snugs this morning, and loving her short, curly messy hair.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

No help here. I'm just putting my hair up in a ponytail

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

KC in TX wrote:
No help here. I'm just putting my hair up in a ponytail

I guess it's my age , but I'm putting my hair in a bun.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

You ladies have me laughing.

My hair sounds similar, Jenn. It's not a lovely ringlet sort of curly, more of a wavy in all the places in a not so neat way. Anyhoo, it's what I've got to work with.

If I let it grow too long it's flat and lifeless, if I cut it too short - yuck! A medium length layered cut allows me to work with it the easiest and encourages movement and lift. Perhaps freshening your cut will give your hair a little lift.

For the winter when my hair is minus the humidity and encouragement to curl, I help it with this - Curls Rock Curl Booster. I let my hair air dry til damp, spray this all around making sure to hit the roots, and blow dry gently for just a few seconds. It lifts and adds volume and encourages curl.

HTH! Now, if I only had the courage to get rid of the gray...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the commiserating, ladies! I can't put mine in a bun or ponytail because I went short this summer. But also, I do color my grays, and when that starts growing in the pulled-back look really accentuates the gray roots.

I love my cut, buuuuut...it definitely needs some tweaking/adjusting for the winter. I had already talked to my hairdresser a bit about it last time. But since this cold front moved in so early (we didn't get a bit of Indian or St. Martin's Summer) this happened faster than I thought.

I'll look for that product. I've been putting my hair in velcro rollers for a few minutes to give a lift, which has helped some. That was my occasional thing for hair, now it seems it's a must.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

My hair has kept it's waviness better now that I now longer use shampoo. The natural oils in my hair help to keep it from going flat. I rinse my hair with plain water most days and then a couple of days a week I wash it with baking soda and then use an apple cider vinegar rinse.

The other thing that helps keep my hair wavy is keeping our house properly humidified. When one of the kids has a cold and we really turn the humidifiers on full blast I wake up with hair that looks like I slept in a rain forest! We have found the warm mist ones work better.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have pretty much stopped using shampoo also. I do use conditioner, pretty much only conditioner. I might have to try baking soda and apple cider rinse.

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

Before opening, I was sure this was going to be about the KIDS hair in winter, and something that drives me batty in the winter time: STATIC ELECTRICITY! Today was the first day of really frigid weather, and guess what came with it?? Oh...my boys hair is the worst. Hats make it worse. My favorite is walking into church before mass with major static cling going on -- less than cute. The girls get static too, but there's is usually in a pony tail.

Mine is manageable, but if anyone posts any tips about static hair, I'll be all over it. (I tried the drier sheets thing.)

Back to Top View LLR4's Profile Search for other posts by LLR4 Visit LLR4's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm laughing over here not b/c of the hair discussion (I would NEVER laugh at a HAIR discussion )

.....but b/c you all have brought out your humidifiers!!! While we have been in constant DEHUMIDIFIER-mode around here, along with one of the girls "daily jobs" being to check designated corners and crevices for any signs of mold.      Ugh....

Anyway, back to the hair discussion......

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I'm another non-shampoo-er -- well, becoming that way, anyway. I've weaned my hair down to once a week, and otherwise I just use conditioner or plain water. I've also got the wavy/unruly/neither-here-nor-there hair thing going on, but now it's much softer and more manageable, and it lies in nice, relaxed waves and curls, instead of either fuzzing out (in humidity) or going lifeless (in the cold). It looks much nicer and neater in a ponytail, too. It's longish with some layers at the bottom which give some shape and lift -- when it's too short, it especially tends to go flat. The waves and curls seem to need some length to work with! Shorter hair is so great when it works, but frustrating when it doesn't -- I feel for you.

Sally

Sally

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

JennGM wrote:
now I need to figure out a new style to deal with the limp, flat, almost straight hair.

Now you have to deal with my hair!

I use conditioner in very small amounts, not every day. I *must* round brush my hair while blow drying or it's flat as a pancake. I also use a flat iron to smooth it out and add a little bend at the ends.. I haven't used a curling iron in years because I finally got sick of curling my hair only to have it flat and straight in an hour. I had to embrace the straight and life has been much less frustrating since.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version