Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Gratitude Journal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

The other night at our neighborhood homeschool group get together we had a guest speaker. She talked about using our words and gifts and also about listening. She gave us a lot of things to think about. One idea that I really liked and have shared with a few people is the Gratitude Journal.

I know most of us know what this is and a lot of you probably keep one, or tick off a list of things you are grateful for at the end of the day. She gave it a new twist, list five things you are grateful for before you get out of bed in the morning.

It struck me as such a good idea. It really challenges me not to wake up and think....here we go again. Even the things that cause me stress can be looked at as gifts when framed in gratitude. Another day of fighting over math......turns into how lucky I am to have my children at home with me.

Any thoughts?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I love this blog (which I had sort of forgotten--thanks for reminding me!). She is a wordsmith, and while she isn't Catholic (I think she is evangelical), she expresses beautifully ways to live sacramentally and her emphasis is gratitude. Here is a recent post on gratitude, but I could spend all day browsing her blog!

Holy Experience

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I've been doing this - and teaching my kids to do this - since I read "Simple Abundance" back when I had my 3rd babe.

I wrote a post about it just this past Saturday, actually.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I thought about what you had written at the same time I was trying to think of (something homemade) to give a very close friend. It seems I always fall back on recipe-jar kind of gifts. After browsing around the internet I have come up with a great gift idea.

I'm giving my friend a Gratitude Journal Jar. I'm filling it with slips of paper that either have questions on them (favorite game to play growing up, weirdest dream you had, how you met your spouse, etc) or statements (I'm grateful for my daughter's ______________, My husband's _________makes me grateful, etc).

I'm going to tell her to blindly pick a slip every day, tape it to the top of a piece of paper and start writing.

So, thank you Mary Chris, for the idea!!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary Chris and Paula -- these are both great ideas ... the journal and the jar are so clever. I think becuase this is the time of year I get SO STRESSED! that I sure need to hear these ideas ...

THANKS so very much!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Thank you all for these thought-provoking posts. We have a prayer intention jar, with a vigil candle topper...a gratitude jar will beautifully enhance the "attitude of gratitude" we're trying to build in our hearts!

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Paula in MN wrote:
I'm giving my friend a Gratitude Journal Jar. I'm filling it with slips of paper that either have questions on them (favorite game to play growing up, weirdest dream you had, how you met your spouse, etc) or statements (I'm grateful for my daughter's ______________, My husband's _________makes me grateful, etc).

I'm going to tell her to blindly pick a slip every day, tape it to the top of a piece of paper and start writing.

So, thank you Mary Chris, for the idea!!

Paula,

I love this idea but did you come up with 365 slips? I'm not sure I could come up with that many but I really want to do this with my boys.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Lisa R wrote:

Paula,

I love this idea but did you come up with 365 slips? I'm not sure I could come up with that many but I really want to do this with my boys.

I needed a laugh so badly and you came through for me!!!

I came up with 52. I know my friend would be overwhelmed with writing every day. I think once a week is more her style, at least in the beginning.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Paula in MN wrote:

I came up with 52. I know my friend would be overwhelmed with writing every day. I think once a week is more her style, at least in the beginning.

I am glad Lisa asked. That was my first thought: how in the world can she come up with 365 slips? With my creativity maybe 12 would be more my pace   

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I did just come up with an idea that would add slips to the jar.

If the person knows Latin, French, Spanish, German, etc., you could have many of the same questions in that language. They would have to answer the questions in that language too.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I guess there is nothing wrong with repeating some of the slips 10-20 times since I would hope one could come up with that many different things to be grateful for about their spouse or child

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Paula in MN wrote:
Lisa R wrote:

Paula,

I needed a laugh so badly and you came through for me!!!

Paula, glad I could help!   

Natalia, I'm thinking 12 might do it for me, too!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version