Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Christian "pop" music for young teen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Dd 12 has really started being interested in listening to the radio. We mostly listen to country, but I notice she is turning on some pop songs now. When my oldest was this age, I tried unsuccessfully to get him interested in Christian rock.

I think she will be a little more open to it, if I can find something that interests her. She likes Marie Bellet and classical music in addition to country and pop.

Any suggestions? I have heard of Marie Miller but haven't heard her. I saw another girl in the Catholic Child catalog, Janelle. Opinions on either of these, or any others I should consider?

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Regnum Christi brought Janelle to our parish for their annual mother daughter luncheon. She was wonderful and had such an uplifting life story for the girls. My dd enjoys her cds, particularly the one with New Day (I think that is the name of the song)

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Loren

I just found Omegarock, an online Catholic radio station that plays music by Catholic artists and does a bit of catechism and evangelizing in between. The music is more on the rock and rhythm side, but that's what my boys like right now.

I actually started a thread on the Catholic Answers forum to ask about the same thing. If you go over there and search for "Catholic music" or "Catholic artists," you should be able to find some suggestions. I think I put my question in the "back fence" section.
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Well, it's not specifically Catholic, but we listen to Klove around here. Mostly in the van, but it's what kids listen to when they are cleaning their rooms and working out and such. They really like a 'rock' beat and have found some artists from Klove that they like. Newsboys, Toby Mac, Matt Mahar, David Crowder are favorites around here. (I am not particularly found of Toby Mac, but the boys crank it up when they are working out in the basement! )

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've found evangelical pop to be harmless, in the bigger scheme of things. Not every song is entirely theologically correct, but my kids don't seem to notice.

In addition to the musicians already mentioned, Zoegirl is very popular among the 10-14 yr old girls here. They passed my standards, which I think are pretty stiff, but I would try to listen to something online first, rather than taking my word for it. Janelle is on my list of things to check out, too. I saw that in Catholic Child and am interested, too. Can anyone tell me what style her music is?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Be careful with Zoegirl, some of the lyrics are edgy. We found out the hard way on this.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I'm gonna put a word in for Marie because I know her. She is a beautiful girl in every way. Here is her website -- you can listen to some of her music there.
This one is is also hers, together with her sisters -- Miller Sisters Cafe

Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Marie

I was at a pre-Confirmation event for Matt Maher this week and he was GREAT! He is Catholic (and originally Canadian:) and his music is both loud and quiet. He has 4 CD's out and the newest one Empty and Beautiful is probably the easiest to get a hold of. Our local Christian bookstore was carrying it. He did all of the music for mass as well...it was lots of fun. He had lots of the 1400 kids there singing along.
Back to Top View Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Marie

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

We just love to listen to Matt Maher around here.

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Lisbet wrote:
Be careful with Zoegirl, some of the lyrics are edgy. We found out the hard way on this.

We have older cd's...can't speak for anything new...

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

We love love love Matt Maher. My DH used to run a Life Teen program in Houston before becoming a missionary, and we had him out several times. A truly talented man.

My personal favorite Christian group is Hillsong United. They are from Australia. We listen to Christian, Country, and Classical around here. That's about it.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

teachingmyown wrote:
Dd 12 has really started being interested in listening to the radio. We mostly listen to country, but I notice she is turning on some pop songs now. When my oldest was this age, I tried unsuccessfully to get him interested in Christian rock.

I think she will be a little more open to it, if I can find something that interests her. She likes Marie Bellet and classical music in addition to country and pop.

Any suggestions? I have heard of Marie Miller but haven't heard her. I saw another girl in the Catholic Child catalog, Janelle. Opinions on either of these, or any others I should consider?

Thanks!

If your daughter likes Classical but is looking for something on the "pop" side of things, you might try Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, or Sissel.

I really liked this sort of music as a teen, and if memory serves, it is generally "safe." You can always check lyrics online before buying.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Greg Walton is a great Catholic artist. He has played at world youth day and is a Dad to 5...used to teach theology at a Catholic High School but now is back to music full time :
http://gregwalton.com/music.html
He also colaborated with other Catholic musicians on a fun CD for your little ones: Standin' On The Rock:
http://gregwalton.com/music.html

Laura in WI
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh.. this will be fun. I don't have any specifically Catholic artists to recommend. But my kids have really like Chris Rice and Newsboys and GoFish. I put the cd's onto my computer and then burn a cd for them to listen too (I put away the originals) and I can also take off anything that is too obviously protestant.. but I enjoy these groups too.

I bookmarked omegarock to check out.. and I'm going to be looking at these others.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote Bella

We listen to Klove,too. I get bummed though, as they hardly ever say who the artists are. I (we)like Casting Crowns,Jars of Clay, Point of Grace,and Third day.
I saw Janelle in concert, and loved her. She can be fast paced, jumping up an down, she can sit and thoughtfully sing. She has a true message in all her songs,her concerts are family-style-her husband and 4yo son played,too! She also does a style of song(oh,geez,what'sit called....) I want to say Lyrical. She tells her and her dh's story through a song/speaking combo-also speaks/sings her message of living a chaste life outside of marriage. She played for Pope John Paul! Her songs are very upbeat(most of them), and very Catholic.Her appearance is tastefully,modern,youthful,and modest. She is very humble and very sweet!

Thank you,Ladies,for all of these wonderful suggestions!

Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version