Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: dd legs growing at different rate Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

If anyone has experience with this please let me know.

About 1 month ago my dd 9yo complained of her hip hurting. It continued so we took her in to see the Dr. After a visit to the hospital for blood work and x-rays they concluded that she probably just had a virus that had spread to the lining of the hip area. Nothing showed up in her tests that pointed to growth plate issues or arthritis. The pain has subsided but now she has begun to walk in a very funny manner. Legs farther apart and on her toes. Her only complaint is that her hip pops daily. I had her stand up straight with both legs together and I can visibly tell that one leg is longer than the other. We have an appointment this week with an orthopedist but in the meantime I would like to do some research of my own.

If you have any experience with this I would love to hear about it. I am getting quite worried. Dd has a twin sister with no problems in this area.

Blessings,   

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I don't have experience with this, Anne, but you have my prayers.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

I will say some prayers for your daughter, Anne. Keep us posted!

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Loren

My brother was an adult when he learned that one of his legs is longer than the other. He just wears a lift in one shoe to even them up. Hoping that the solution for your daughter will be as simple.
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

Praying for your research efforts and your dd.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Have you checked her spine for scoliosis? My sister had one hip higher, and it was actually due to the curvature of her spine. She had to have surgery to fuse some of the bones together, but from what I understand, they have a better technique now. Anyway, it better to catch it earlier, so thought I'd mention it. It is relatively common in girls.

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Thank you all for your comments and prayers. I have actually found out that there is a disorder called Leg Length Descrepancy and my daughter seems to fit the profile.

I have noticed that her "longer" leg looks a bit distorted at the knee. I am trying to keep from worring.....but find myself slipping. We will see the orthopedic Dr. the Wed. before Thanksgiving.

Please say a few prayers for me to lift up this worry to Christ. I draw such strenght from you all.
Blessings,

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My 15 year old son has one leg that has always grown at a faster rate. Currently that leg is 2 inches longer than the other. The ortho are not doing anything about it at this point because often the body will correct the discepency over time. I don't think it will ever be right though as he is 15 now and 6'1'' so I am not sure how much growing he has left. When he hikes or does a lot of walking he puts an insert in the one shoe or his knee and hip will cause him a lot of pain.

I am sorry your dd is suffering with this.

LeeAnn

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 25 2008 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Your daughter is in our prayers!

Coincidentally, my 11 yo daughter just came home from the hospital and is recuperating from double knee surgery to correct her bone growth. She has been seeing an orthopedist for about four years and finally this was the year to have surgery to correct (hopefully) her knock knees. She had staples put in (harder to do than it sounds!) the growth plates to even out the growth of her femurs. I believe in our family it is genetic, because my maternal grandmother is also extremely knock kneed (30-40 degrees!) but when she was young there was nothing to be done about it. The surgery was done on my daughter now so that she will hit her final growth spurt in the next few years and correct it--possibly even becoming bowlegged slightly--and then in three years or so she'll have the staples removed and be able to touch her knees and ankles together at the same time for the first time since she was a baby!

If your daughter's legs are different lengths, perhaps something similar can be done to encourage one to grow and the other to stop growing for a while to even it out and avoid future hip and joint pain. An x-ray should tell a lot and they will also probably x-ray her hand to tell her "bone-age"--that is, how much growth she likely has left to do.

mamaboo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 25 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote mamaboo

YES! I do have experience with this. My 17yo son has this and had his first surgery two years ago. He'd been seen yearly by the Shriners (got him accepted into their program when he was, oh, about 2 years old I think it was) his surgery, every visit, etc etc has been free. He is supposed to have another surgery next year. The first surgery was to strategically scrape growth plates (to slow growth at certain spots so other spots could catch up) and he had staples placed in specific spots, too. Next surgery is a leg-lengthening procedure. The first surgery was rough for him (internal pain-wise) and we had to be VERY VERY diligent in REQUIRING him to do his rehab exercises. But he worked through it and now nearly two years later, he's still been growing, his knee & hip pains have greatly reduced and overall we're extremely pleased with the results.

In any case, until he had surgery the only thing they did for him (besides yearly visits/regular xrays) was to give him a lift to put in his shoe. Once the discrepancy outgrew the usefulness of the inserted lift, they started modifying his actual tennis shoe (an outside lift.) This was okay with him for a while, but once he hit his teenage years it no longer was "cool" for him.

The issue with hip tilt wasn't as apparent early on to us as his "inward turned knee" was (thereby flopping his foot VERY much inward too, when legs were outstretched in front of him.) But I knew ever before he could walk that SOMETHING wasn't right. Thankfully we were able to get his case followed rather early and have been blessed all along.

Prayers for the calming of your heart, the knowledge of the doctors, and a Healing Hand for your daughter.

Back to Top View mamaboo's Profile Search for other posts by mamaboo

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Well after 5 x-rays the Dr. determined that dd has scoliosis. For now it is a curve 12 degrees off center. He told us that there is no need for any brace until a 25 degree curve occurs. Her leg measurements are just 3 mm off which in his opinion is marvelous.    His concern is that her back will continue to curve until puberty comes. So his advice to us was to PRAY for early puberty.    I am not sure how I feel about that.

She will begin physical therapy twice a week for 4 weeks and then cut back to twice a month. He will do another scoliosis x-ray in 3 months. Another tidbit of info I learned today was that a scoliosis x-ray has 100x more radiation than a chest x-ray! This did concern my dh and he has been researching this. We are hopeful that there will be no residual harm to her body due to the frequency of the test.

I want to thank all of you so much for your input. It is wonderful to have prayer warriors to rely on. I never feel alone with a problem thanks to this forum.

Blessings for a wonderful Thanksgiving.

In Christ,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version