Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: How did you learn your craft? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

So many ladies on this board seem to have wonderful talents for various crafts. My question is: how did you learn your craft?
I have been discussing lately with some of my friends (we are all generally in our mid-20s) this topic and not many of us have any great crafting skills. I am so frustrated about it because I don't know a truly effective way to learn how to do some of the things I'd like to be able to do. I can teach myself to a point just by reading instructions, but I have found that eventually I dead end without real live help.
I would love to be able to sew more than anything. I'd love to make skirts and quilts and dolls. I'd love to be able to garden well, to knit (I can make a scarf! But I can't end it...), and to generally have the experience and know how to create.
How have you learned your crafts? Is there some secret I'm missing? My Grandmother had so many of these talents and didn't pass them on to my mother, who in turn had no way to pass them on to me. She is gone now, and I so desperately wish for an afternoon at her house learning how she made my baby dolls, how she made her gravy, how she grew such lovely roses...

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I learned to knit at the age of 8 -- my sister 13 and oh so much older was learning from her friend's mom. I would sneak the knitting out from under her bed and figure out what she was doing ... knit a few rows ... and then rip it back to where she was. I kid you not! Mom realized my "secret" and helped me get yarn and needles and books of my own and I taught myself and the rest, as they say is history.

Sibling rivalry is responsible for alot of the craftiness in my family

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

My grammy (mom's mom) was my babysitter growing up and if there was a craft she probably tried it at some point. I can remember her doing oil painting and water colors and charcoal drawing and chalk drawing and always the cooking and canning and sewing, bead work (not jewelry) and forming things with clay, crocheting and I think she even taught herself knitting after I was married with kids

And she just generally took whoever was around with her.. she'd be working on something and hand us some to work with to. depending on the item and our ages.

But my mom also sewed and can crochet (but her wrists don't like that)..

and grammy and mom made a good bit of my clothes so it naturally came that I would make my own things. I believe I made my first skirt (not the simplest type either) by myself when I was 12. I made my wedding gown when I was 21.

gardening.. oh yes, grammy did that too I remember going out to "help" her when I was about 8 or 9.. actually mostly I remember the channels of water around the mounds for the squash and wearing the bean leaves (they're fuzzy and stick to fabric).. but still.. it helps me when reading information to have a bit of a real life connection even if it's the memories of a semi-interested 9 yr old.

Grammy was one of the most gentle and patient people I've known.. everyone should have one.. I'm very sad to have lost mine.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

I do what I can, as far as crafts go. I'm no expert, by any means. I mostly do children's crafts with my children and get out library books from the juvenile or beginners section (no I'm not kidding) if I want to learn something new. Those kinds of books simplify it enough for even me.    There are also videos online that (I think by craft stores like Michaels, etc.) teach basics of crocheting, knitting, etc.

My daughter is a wiz with sewing, crocheting and beading. She makes jewelry, crochets gifts (purses, scarves, belts, ponchos, etc.) and sews, using patterns or not, depending on her mood. We bought her a decent sewing machine and she uses it often. She's made costumes and outfits,etc. NONE of this has she learned from me. She's only 12, but I think it's a natural interest for her, so she dove into it with library books, online teaching videos and a friend's mom taught her basic sewing. Seriously, she could, and has, taught me.

So I think some of it comes from parents and grandparents, but if you have a genuine interest without someone to teach you, there are other ways. Look into the library for books or classes, online teaching videos and also classes at places like Joann Fabrics or AC Moore. Or if you have a friend who does what you are interested in, maybe they could give you a mini lesson while your children play.

Where there's a will there's a way. My daughter didn't let my lack of skill stop her . And she's doing well with it.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

My mother had no interest in any domestic art and actually thought they were a waste of time. So, I come along and wanted to learn them all. I had an aunt who helped me with some sewing.

I learned to knit when I was an adult. Most yarn stores will help you - esp if you bought the yarn there. I would just go in for five minutes here and there for help on anything I was getting stuck on.

My girls belong to 4-H and that has been an incredible resource. Our TORCH group is having a sewing class that my daughter is taking. I just go along and observe, ask questions, and learn.

There are also some great new books out there with some fun projects by authors like Amy Butler. My 20 year old loves her books.

Also, look for some older ladies at church that know how to knit/crochet/sew. They would usually love to help someone out.

For the gardening, it has been trial and error for me. Lots of error. My puppy just tore up my tomato plants (yes, we still have tomatoes in San Antonio!)

I think the bottom line is you just have to do it and not expect great result s at first. And you have to have fun! Hope that helps.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

Corry O
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Corry O

My main craft is sewing. My grandmother sewed and taught me some very basic concepts when I was a child, but what helped me most was taking a non-credit community college enrichment sewing class when I was in high school. This was a very inexpensive class, but it enabled me to move forward with sewing as a hobby and actually have confidence in what I was doing.

There are many fabric/quilting shops that offer very basic classes as well. Also, at my parish, there is a group of ladies that make quilts to give to those who are ill. I have found that they are more than willing to pass on nuggets of sewing wisdom to anyone who is interested to learn.   

Back to Top View Corry O's Profile Search for other posts by Corry O

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My grandmother knits and taught me the basic knit stitch when I was just a little girl. But I have never really progressed further than that--it's on my to-do list. She doesn't live nearby anymore, though, so I would be learning on my own.

My mom was very crafty when I was growing up. She used to manage a needlework store and sell silk-flower hair wreaths. Most of her craft time was spent cross-stitch.

Sewing is my hobby now and has been for the last few years. I am entirely self-taught; my mom never really took to just plain sewing. I borrowed a machine from my husband's grandmother and just started playing around with cheap fabric. I am not an accomplished seamstress by any means, but I can follow a pattern well and am getting a feel for the craft. I love the versatility of sewing, being able to make just about anything. I do not know anyone who sews, so I use the internet as my main teaching tool. I also sometimes check out books from the library.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

YouTube.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I thought of something else. I think that in today's world, we are very focused on instantaneous gratification and think that we should be able to master something in an afternoon. If we don't practice, how can we progress?

For instance, my knitting is dismal but I do it for pure pleasure and everytime I feel like casting on I choose really chunky yarn, drop by the chinese place and pick up a few bamboo chopsticks and hit YouTube when I get home to relearn it quickly. I whip through a scarf and feel great but it isn't something that I'd turn into the state fair hoping for a blue ribbon!

Now on the other hand, my spinning and weaving are exceptional. But I spent years working 40 hours a week in a handweaving studio and that time shows. So are you looking to truly master your interests? Look up the guild in the area of your interest and begin working on it. Just for fun, here is the Apprentice Rating Requirements from a Handweavers Guild.

REQUIREMENTS FOR AN APPRENTICE RATING
Present six well woven articles on six different warps. Minimum size when finished must be 12" by 12". Edges must show on a majority of the articles. There may be no more than one tailored garment. Stress the following points: even beating, even edges, proper finishing, pleasing effect, function, note and record keeping, and accurate threading and treadling.
At the Apprentice level, computers may be used only in the design stage. No auxiliary equipment may be used to produce your weaving and all submitted drawdowns must be done by hand. Weaving done using a fly shuttle, power loom, an auto-advance system, a mechanized shuttle device, an automatic treadling mechanism, or an automatic beater should not be submitted.

A. An article in wool threaded in a 2/2 twill. The twill in the finished article should be at a 45 degree angle.
B. An article in cotton threaded to overshot. The pattern weft may be of wool. Include a drawdown. Tabby picks should not be represented.
C. An article in linen threaded in your own choice.
D. An article in which one of the color harmonies, listed in the following sentence is used. Define briefly, in words, the following color harmonies: monochromatic, analogous, complementary, and triadic. Make a color wheel, using fiber, illustrating the primary, secondary, and intermediary colors (12 colors in all). Embroidery floss is suggested.
E. An article in which structure/ pattern is the primary design element.
F. An article of your own choice.
G. Sign and include a statement that you can warp and dress a loom. Make it easily removable because it is retained by the Ratings Chair before judging.

Let's see, in Missouri to become a Master Gardener I know you have to attend a 30 hour classroom Core Course. Then you are required to give 30 hours of volunteer service back to the community in approved University of Missouri Extension activities. You can find your own state's program through this map perhaps.

When we lived in a real town the Extension Office was a great place to pick up information on local programs, also colleges frequently offer classes for further education, our current local one is great if you are into diesel mechanics, scuba, or pottery.

For a not so formalized study of homemaking, I think putting yourself through Jennifer's St Martha's Apron Strings program would be a great start!

There, I hope that was a little more helpful than my first answer!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

KerryK
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote KerryK

I learned to knit at the age of 35 (4 years ago) and have been knitting ever since. Noone else in my family knits, I learned the basics from a friend, and then spent a little time hanging out at the local yarn store, where I learned more.
Now I'm learning to sew much the same way...by asking people, looking at websites, reading books....anyway I can! I don't want the fact that I didn't have the grandma or Mom who knit, sewed, and cooked to stop me from doing these things! I say go for it - you can learn anything!

Mary (6)
New baby Samuel 2/26/07!
and 9 angels in heaven

The Eyes of My Heart
Back to Top View KerryK's Profile Search for other posts by KerryK Visit KerryK's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

My mum taught me to knit and crochet - but not in the round, and I still can't master that! She sewed a lot for us, which inspired me, but she never really liked doing it and so she didn't have much inclination to teach me, and so my sewing is patchy. But, if you have the desire, and can set realistic goals, you can learn anything - there are so many great tutorials and videos online, and many yarn or quilting stores here in the UK also run groups,where you can learn skills, and I bet they have the same in the states.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

anniemm wrote:
My question is: how did you learn your craft?

On the job!

I was talking with a dear friend the other day and we were both reflecting on how we wished like you that we had taken advantage more of learning domestic skills from our mothers and grandmothers. I'm soooo grateful for the lessons they taught me that I somehow managed to remember and apply, but most of all I think I just learn as I go. And, this is one area that people's blogs have been a blessing for me. I don't feel compelled to do *everything* I see, but there is lovely inspiration for thought and mulling over in the blog world. As I work more with my hands and with the children, more ideas come to me spontaneously.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Andrea,

I too would love to know how to do all of these things, but don't have the natural knack. I did learn to sew from my 12 year old SIL when she was a homeschooler and I was a college student who hung out at my then boyfriend now husband's house too many lazy Sunday afternoons! She would be sewing and taught me the basics. Sad, but true! We used to sew together all the time once we both got older and had kids. It was great fun! (Too many children and not enough free time now etc.)

Also, I recently stumbled upon pre-cut quilt kits. Some of them are more along the lines of an applique, like Sunbonnet Sues, but there are also some VERY nice and surprisingly inexpensive pre-cut quilts to sew together. I found some as low as $15 for the "top quilt" as they call it. That means, you have all the squares or triangles pre-cut, which is really the annoying part anyway, and you can sit right down and start sewing!! Some that were a little more pricey, say anywhere from $45-95+ bucks, were pre-cut quilts that you could make an entire queen size quilt out of and some include the batting and backing etc. The cheaper $15 versions just make a wall hanging/baby blanket size quilt top, but you can easily pick out some extra fabric and make the sides or even just sew it onto a white sheet and make a bigger quilt top out of it with the center quilt being the focal point. KWIM? Lots of possibilites. Just put "easy quilt kits" into the search engine and prepare to become inspired!!! Some of them are really lovely. I just ordered a pretty one with roses on it to make a quilt with my 7 year old daughter! I figured she could help me pin it, and sew the bigger blocks together once I sewed the smaller pieces. We are going to make it for her bed. I think it will be fun.

I would still like to crochet or knit. I can single and double crochet, and learned to knit from my aunt. However, I noticed that as soon as I get home from a lesson with her I forget it all since I can't really internalize what I am learning with this craft and just seem to mimic what she did while there. I also have NO idea how to read a pattern for these crafts. Again, my SIL has no problem with this and makes the lovliest things, but she has a more mechanically minded brain. Do you think that matters with some crafts, especially ones like knitting etc.??? Sewing seems to be more straightforward to me, I can "read" the instructions for the most part, but have trouble deviating from them, as opposed to knitting and crocheting which almost seems as if I feel "blind" while doing this. I can't "see" the knots clearly, and I constantly feel "lost". So, maybe it is a right brain/left brain thing?? I also have a lot of cool crafting ideas, but since I never did this type of things as a child, I feel as if I lack the manipulating the world skill or something like that. I wonder how important this is for young kids??

I would LOVE to take a class at Michael's etc. I think I may bug my husband about that come to think of it! That would be a great mother/daughter thing to do!!!      

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

LLR4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote LLR4

I only read the very first post, but I already know this is a little bit OT. But reading the first post just brings a flurry of thoughts I tell everyone, all of the time, and I would like to state it here too, for encouragement;

I believe for every-single-human God has created, He gave their own GIFTS (some may call them talents), which they are meant to utilize in their life in some way. NO ONE is excluded. If you think you don't have any, I think you are wrong. You just haven't found it yet!! But it's important to look....to search...explore...until you find it! Sadly, so many people live their entire lives never having discovered their own unique gift their Creator gave very intentionally, to them!

Finding that gift (or gifts) is just one of the countless reasons I home school my children. I want them to have time, to listen to their hearts, follow their interests, and discover their passions! Because very often, where passion is, there lies the gifts!

I know many of us WANT to be able to do this and that and the other thing. (Me included > I want to learn to sew, knit, and make a quilt!) And we all can learn all of these things if we put our mind to it. Some of us may find we don't enjoy this or that as we thought we would, or find a new hobby to relish in. Maybe we'll find it enjoyable enough, and it helps provide in a more affordable way. But in the meantime, as we are exploring all of the things we are trying, we just might discover the gifts, we were meant to find all along. The ones God meant for us to incorporate into our lives - make use of, serve others, bring others joy as well as ourselves, or even make a difference in some way. It is a great part of the purpose of our lives, and living according to His will and intention for each of us.

We ALL have gifts. I just want everyone to know, and believe it, and keep your hearts open to it, so you don't live your life never having found yours.

One gift I believe we all were given, and have already found, and we are certainly living out, is our Motherhood! How we choose to use that gift counts a lot!! But there just may be more....perhaps many more. It may be a craft, but it may not be.

FWIW, I developed this perspective over the years, in reflection of every person who has crossed my path, and told me how talented I am. What gifts I have and how 'they don't have anything they are really good at.'
I say NONSENSE. God gave everyone gifts, and one has either not found it yet, or, it is actually right there in front of them, and they have not recognized it or embraced it as such.

That's my PSA for today. I hope it inspires even one to be open to seeing what is meant to be one of the most fulfilling parts of their lives, in living out His will.    

Back to Top View LLR4's Profile Search for other posts by LLR4 Visit LLR4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version