Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Protecting our Fourth Amendendment Rights Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ladies, Please pray for me and peace in our family. We had an ugly situation here this morning when the dog warden knocked on our door demanding to see our dog.

She said they received an 'annyomos' call that we had a dog --- duh - they had all of our license and registration information in front of them!! I asked why she wanted to see our dog - she said she wanted to see that she was confined, tagged, and healthy. I assured her that she was, and she peeked at the dog through the door. (clearly confined!) She said she still wanted to come in and see the dog, I refused. She then told me to bring the dog out and I refused. She asked why on earth I would refuse and I said I was protected under the Fourth Amendment. She got very very huffy with me and I remained calm. She then called the police. I went through very much the same with the police, yet he went on to accuse me of 'holing my kids up and feeding them hogwash' (they assumed I homeschooled I guess...) He also told me that the Fourth Amendment had nothing to do with search and seizure and that I had no idea what I was talking about. (what are you teaching your kids he said, you don't know the first thing about the constitution and your rights!!) Of course he was wrong, ah well, it went on and on with me saying nothing more than "If you procure a warrent I will gladly comply with it". He continued to belittle my knowledge and that I was a poor teacher and poor example to my children. I calmly said "I think we are done here." and I went into the house. They stood in our driveway and ran our license plates on our van and left.

I went in and called our lawyer who assured me that I was well within my rights and I did the right thing. My husband said he was wildly proud of me, yet he was nervous about the police officers attitude about homeschooling - he is fearing a call to CPS b/c of it or something.

On one hand I think "what the heck was I thinking - it's just a dog" But on the other hand I firmly feel that our rights under the constitution are at stake and we need to stand up for them no matter how minor it seems.
Either way, I've been worked up about it. We are speculating that someone called b/c they don't like our political signs or whatever else. The dog warden never did give us a reason for the call or visit. We are baffled over it, b/c our dog is legal, healthy, and confined.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Lisa -

I also am very proud of you! Also, I'm sorry you had to endure such an unsettling incident. I am praying for your sense of peace. Can your lawyer call and find out who called the dog warden or why? I would think that the nature of the complaint should be something that has to be shared with you, even if the report was anonymous.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Go, Lisa!

I'll pray for your peace of mind.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh Lisa I'm so sorry. I'm glad you stood up for your family. Prayers.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Lisa, I'm sorry you and your family have to go through all this. Praying for peace of mind and protection for all of you.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm praying, Lisa. Please don't second guess your decision to stand firm. Our family found ourselves in a rotten situation with an agency contracted by the state for foster/adoption licensing. Objectively, the people we were dealing with weren't the brightest and loved their little power position. When we didn't go with their program, they were insulted and were very inclined toward bullying behaviors. They do it because they get away with it over and over again because people get caught off guard or don't know their rights or are tired. There are definitely times to cut our losses for the benefit of our family, but I can't help but think that if more people stood firmly, they would at least think twice. This is my long winded way of saying, I'm with you sister and I'm praying for you. Goodness, I wish that I could transplant you to my neighborhood.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Praying for you, Lisa! You did a great job standing up for your family and I am so sorry that you had to have this experience.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Oh Lisa, how frustrating and scary! You did great, though! I just hate the idea of what someone with even a little power can do to our families if we make them mad, though. Homeschooling may be legal, but it makes us targets. Not very American, I'd say!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Wow - Good for you! That was very, very brave.

I would SO be calling the cop's supervisor and complaining about his behavior (but then my Daddy was a cop so I am not uncomfortable doing things like that, and I know my Dad as Shift Lt. would have wanted to know if his guys were behaving like that....but I also totally understand being uneasy about doing that too!)

Good on ya! You did great!

And big too!
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Lisa,
I am sorry you had to go through this strssful situation. But at the same time I am impressed with your courage and example to your children and all of us here. Great job!

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Lisa Good job !!!! I pray this is the end of it for you. Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

sounds like she saw the dog confined. I'm not getting at what more needed to be seen?
I'm not kidding, are you sure that these people were legit??
praying for you all.

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

MarieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote MarieA

You did a great job!    I am praying for you all.

Marie
Back to Top View MarieA's Profile Search for other posts by MarieA

TrixieJ
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote TrixieJ

So sorry to hear this, Lisa. You did a great job protecting your family. I'm praying for your piece of mind and that this is the end of the whole ordeal.
Back to Top View TrixieJ's Profile Search for other posts by TrixieJ

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Lisa, I will pray for your comfort and that nothing else negative comes of this situation. It just turned my stomach to read what you describe.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm so impressed by your courage, Lisa! I'm just not sure what I would have done in that situation. Clearly, they were attempting to bully and intimidate you! I think you did great!!!!!

I will certainly pray that this situation doesn't escalate and that your guardian angels cover and protect your entire family (and that good St. Francis watches over your pup! ).

We have 3 acres for sale next to us... wide open spaces Catholic neighbors great view of the mountains

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Oh wow! I'm sooo impressed you were able to keep your cool like that! I'm practically shaking just reading about it! Big to you and sending prayers your way!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We had someone call about our cat last year. Crazy since she was a full-time indoor cat. The guy from the county that came admitted that sometimes it is used as an excuse to get into someone's house who they have other "questions" about.

Praying!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 2:54am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I've been praying for you and your family as well as the officials in your town. Good for you for standing up for your Constitutional rights!
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2008 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Praying for your family and proud of you to stand firm in your rights! What a sad thing to have officials bully and push. i will continue to pray and you are a wonderful example to your children that they should not believe the lies and hogwash of these unethical officials!

You are a good example of standing up for your rights!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version