Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Family bible study? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 28 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

We want to institute a family bible study time in our home with our 4 daughters (12 down to 6 y.o.). Has anyone successfully done this? How? Can you recommend a good bible study resource to use for this that would be appropriate for our age range? We would like to start with the gospels. The Jeff Cavins stuff is probably a little "brainy" yet, right?

Thank so much.

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

We haven't used any formal bible study resource with our kids, but what we have done is read the bible and/or the Catechism every night. With the bible, we just decided to delve in and start at the beginning - we read one chapter/night. At the end of the chapter, everyone knows Dad will ask questions to each, so they (usually ) listen pretty well. Yes, some nights it's difficult for them (even us!) to understand, but we encourage them by letting them know they don't have to understand everything at once - God is just pleased we are opening his Word and making an effort. Oftentimes, questions about this or that lead to great discussions, and we've pulled out the Catholic dictionary more than once. I'd say overall we've been pretty happy doing it this way. The Catechism is also good for bible study - we will read just a short section and then look up all the scripture references linked to it - it's a great way to learn the faith. I know some might think it might be all above the littles' heads, but we've been quite surprised at what they can grasp - or at least what they will sit through ! It also challenges us to try to explain our faith to others that's simple and understandable.

This isn't bible study per se, but I've always been interested in watching Bishop Sheen's family retreat together as a family.

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version