Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Carpet problem Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

I have no idea why, but the berber carpet in our family room has suddenly taken on a bad odor. I am sure it smells like cats, but since we don't have a cat,I don't know why this would be.   Does anyone have an effective means for removing odor from carpets? This happened another time after we had shampooed the carpet and I think the wetness made it worse. I tried Arm and Hammer pet deodorizing powder and it masked the smell for a few hours, but this morning.. its baaaaack! We are having houseguests at the end of the month for a family wedding and I am hoping we can remedy this by then. It is really

Burning The Candle At Both Ends
Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

Have you tried sprinkling baking soda on it and letting it sit and then vacuuming it up?

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

When a friend's dog had a major accident on my carpet, the odor lingered long after I had done everything to clean it. (Including going back and forth over that spot with the carpet cleaner for like an hour!) I finally made a spray of vinegar and water, with a few drops of tea tree oil, and I sprayed that area several times a day. Within a few days, the odor was gone.

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

My SIL and BIL (three dogs, two birds, assorted lizards, and a guinea pig) swear by Nature's Miracle. You can get it at pet stores, and it's at amazon too.

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

I just did a google search on carpet odors and discovered there is a certain bacteria which thrives in the latex backing of some carpets. And guess what... it has the same odor as cat urine... yuk! I am sure that is what is going on here, so I need to find out if there is a solution. So far, no luck.

Back to Top View chrisv664's Profile Search for other posts by chrisv664 Visit chrisv664's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

We've had very good luck with Fantastik brand OxyPower Multi-Purpose Cleaner. It says right on the label that it can be used to clean carpets (only disclaimer is that some Oriental rugs may discolor). It works very well on anything with enzymes that are difficult to clean (sour milk, urine, various food stains that are usually tough to get out). It's much less expensive than products marketed for pet urine (less than $3 for a 26 oz. spray bottle). Since it seems like your problem may be related to a bacteria it may be worth trying, especially since it contains hydrogen peroxide. We've used it on various carpets in our home and have always had good results. Good luck!

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

If it is a bacteria, the tea tree oil mixed with vinegar and water might be your best solution. Both vinegar and tea tree oil are natural bacteria fighters. When my son had an infected ingrown toenail removed, the doctor told us to soak it in a solution of warm water and vinegar to keep it bacteria free.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I use Borax on carpet odors all the time. You need to let it sit for 24 hours, and it will dry up all the bacteria causing odors. Then you just vaccum it up.

LeeAnn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Is this an inherited carpet? We didn't discover there was cat urine until we moved it. The odor comes out when it gets wet or disturbed. Just in case it might be cat, here's what we did. It takes a lot of time, though.

Get a blacklight (the pet stores sell this) that will show these kind of stains. Then there's various brands of pet urine killer. It basically eats the bacteria, but it takes time and several applications. But it does work eventually.

The other problem is that the pad might be soaked with the urine, so when you clean the carpet, the smells come through.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

We noticed our living room smelling like cat one time. About a week later we realized that there were cats living in our crawl space. They were causing the smell.
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

chrisv664
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote chrisv664

Angi, I was suspecting the same thing, but we had sealed up the entry to our crawlspace last year (after checking for cats and dh assures me there is no way anything as big as a cat could have found its way in.
It has gotten a lot better with a combination of steam cleaning, antibacterial spray, and baking soda. Which reminds me.. I need to go vacuum!
Thank you to everyone for your very helpful suggestions!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version