Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: What would you do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We have a field trip coming up soon, to the zoo. My dd12 doesn't want to go because she has a baseball game that night and doesn't want to be tired out. It is a lot of walking and over an hour drive each way.

She wants me to leave her home with her teenage brother. That part doesn't really bother me. I just don't like going without her. It should be a family experience (without dh and ds17, unfortunately).

What would you do? Make her go, leave her home or everybody skips it this time and plan to go another time with the whole family? We just rarely do outings with our homeschool group and the other kids are really looking forward to running around the zoo with their friends. (I am too )

I hate decisions.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Hi Molly,
I would let your dd stay home with her brother. Sometimes an activity can't be done with the entire family. You said your other children are looking forward to seeing their friends as are you. There will be other times to go to the zoo as a whole family.
To quote Dickens and Mr. Spock:"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I guess I would allow a 12 year old to stay home then go ahead and enjoy the day with the younger kids. She has reasonable "reasons" for wanting to stay home and I have found that as my kids get older these situations help the pre-teenage years run smoother-offering opportunities for independence and such.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 23 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Personally, I love the zoo and would make everyone go. Are there other girls her age that will be there? I know that sometimes influences my dd. As for the walking, I always park at the bottom of the zoo so we can walk up while we are fresh and down the big hill when we are dragging. If time is going to be tight getting her home then that would be a reason for her to stay home.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I agree with Joann. Around the age of 12 I allow a little more personal discretion from the child on things like this. It seems her reasons are valid, and I think I would even tell her how good it was that she was thinking ahead and trying to organize her time and activities! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I do lots of field trips now where I will bring just some of the kids. My 12 y/o ds has been to the apple orchards/cider making, etc ,etc so many times but my 3 and 6 y/o would really enjoy it.

I also will arrange field trips just for the olders- like a Caterpillar plant trip for ages 12 and up only, etc....

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version