Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Boys playing with... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Sorry ladies but could not find this in the archives...please direct me to any previous discussions! Now as a mom of 5 boys (and 1 tough daughter), 12yr on down you would think I could answer this one but I am in need of some tips. My high strung 7 year old (melancholy/very sensitive) seemed to get over the boy habit of grabbing his p**nis all of the time a number of years ago. However, he is doing this so much lately that it is driving me crazy! It has obviously become just a habit (he says it "itches" but medical concerns are ruled out) so I feel I need to redirect him somehow. Dh has spoken to him but honestly he is with me most of the day and I need to do something...aside from tying his hands behind his back, yes it is tempting!

Any suggestions?

Laura in WI
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Could you use a code word with him? If he doesn't realize he is doing it, that may help make him aware without drawing unnecessary attention?

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Laura

Totally relate here It is a habit I am sure. I've tried the discrete moving his hands away gently. Giving him 'a code look' and a code word. Now I've moved it up to publicly saying something - in front of his male siblings I mean. I'm now trying for peer pressure. My boy's is more often when he is sitting listening to stories, mmm maybe I need to give him some beeswax to mold.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

When my son used to do this, he was much more likely to do so depending on the type of clothing he had on. If he was wearing something structured, like jeans, he never had a problem, but if he had on something more loose like sweatpants or knit or nylon shorts, his hands would drift in that direction all the time. We had already discussed that those parts are very special and not to be played with, but when he would do it unconsciously, I would just ask if he needed to use the bathroom. He knew what I meant, and would stop.

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote trish

organiclilac wrote:
When my son used to do this, he was much more likely to do so depending on the type of clothing he had on. If he was wearing something structured, like jeans, he never had a problem, but if he had on something more loose like sweatpants or knit or nylon shorts, his hands would drift in that direction all the time. We had already discussed that those parts are very special and not to be played with, but when he would do it unconsciously, I would just ask if he needed to use the bathroom. He knew what I meant, and would stop.

Ditto.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Thanks for the ideas...has anyone noticed if boxers vs briefs makes a difference with this? My ds is in boxers now. So can I ask what you used for a code word? Assuming here that yelling "hands off!" is not it! I also am trying to get him to maybe fold his hands instead...though I do not want to substitute one unnecessary habit for another necessarily.

Boys, boys. boys:)

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 18 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Wow we must have all been posting at the same time. The loose clothing thought is interesting as he really hates jeans...loves sweats. We moved him to boxers a few years back thinking that would help. It did but things started again. Perhaps I should have him wear jeans/khahis for awhile?

I have tried the bathroom question w/o improvement.

So nice to have a forum for these embarassing moments in parenting!

God bless-

Laura

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

I know this thread has been going for a bit, but I just remembered what a friend told me she did with her then 3yo: Every time he touched his privates, she would make him go to the bathroom and wash his hands with soap and water and broke the habit that way. (however, this did not do much for my son, he thinks washing his hands is too much fun )
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version