Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Special Ministers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

I have been a special minister of the Eucharist for about 2 years. However, in the last year or so I have began to wonder if I should stop. I've become increasingly aware that many Catholics are strongly opposed to female spec. ministers, and female readers. I'm also beginning to believe that special ministers are unnecessary.

On the one hand I agree that the sanctuary should be for men only, especially as we see an decline priests. But then I think of the following verse: So there is no difference between Jews and Gentiles, between slaves and free men, between men and women; you are all one in union with Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28 Are we being too legalistic?

So I've come here to ask your opinions, both for and against and for direction to good reading material on this issue. I need to be able to clearly articulate my reasons, should I move in this direction. Especially to my mother, who I know will not agree!

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I will say I did love it when men only served in the sanctuary. I loved seeing my dad stand up as an example for us, which he may have done anyway. However, I do have a little rule I live by which is I try not to be holier than the Pope simply meaning, that if the Church says it's ok, it really is. However, if I feel a personal conviction to step into or out of certain roles, I do. Circumtances stopped my ministry as an EMHC, but personal preference and not feeling like it is a ministry I am called to has kept me from going back.

Just the view from where I sit

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Loren

Tricia, that is a very prickly question in today's Church. I am a reader in my parish and my sons are altar servers. I enjoy reading and think I do it well. Then I found out that even though the ministries list calls us Lectors, that position is actually one reserved for instituted adult males, like that of Acolyte.

I see a "deterioration" of roles at work here. I'm not saying that the way we are used to seeing things done is completely wrong or bad, just that it is not exactly the way it was designed to work.

Men had to go through a period of formal training to be instituted as Acolytes, then somewhere along the line there was a shortage of men for the role. To fill in the gap, boys were trained to assist at Mass and became altar servers. The men started to get the idea that assisting was a job for boys, and no one taught that it is a man's role.

Then some places started having a shortage of boys to do the job so they turned to girls. Now boys are starting to get the idea that assisting at Mass just might be a "sissy" thing to do. (I'm not saying it is -- just that some boys might think so.)

The same thing has happened to the role of Lector. If it started as an instituted role for men only, then somewhere things changed to allow laymen. After that, women were allowed. Now we don't even know that there is such a thing as instituted Lectors.

I don't know know the history behind EMHC's, but I do know that they are called extra-ordinary for a reason. Priests and deacons are the ordinary ministers and everyone else is extra.

I know that I get frustrated at the number of people who crowd around the front of the church for the purpose of distributing communion. At the 8:00 am Mass there are no fewer than NINE lines for communion. The traffic jams take up more time than we save by having all those people distributing.

I also know that some of the women who serve as EMHC have a hard time dressing modestly. There is a dress code, but that doesn't mean anything when someone is pulled out of the congregation at the last minute.

Another thing I know is that I will not volunteer to be an EMHC. I've heard that it a very special feeling to be able to actually give Jesus to our brothers and sisters. I've heard that people who serve in this capacity get so much spiritual fruit from this ministry. I'm a little sad to miss out on it, but I think that I can't do it.

I will continue to read at Mass, but will not call myself a lector. My boys will continue to serve at the altar and I will call them altar boys.

I guess I didn't actually answer your questions. It seems i just had some stuff to vent. Sorry.

No matter what you decide, or why, you don't have to tell your mother that you think you might quit because it is not a job for women. You can say that you think your service in this capacity may be finished and that God has something else He wants you to do. When you find out what it is, you'll let her know.
Back to Top View Loren's Profile Search for other posts by Loren

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Loren

And Rachel said it much more succinctly than I did.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like how you put that Rachel.. that if the Church says it's ok.. it's ok.

You might want to consider the Church documents that say it's ok (I know there are ladies here who can point you right to the correct document).. for instance with the alter servers it's ok for girls to serve but I think it talks about if there's a shortage of boys.

Something I found interesting here.. our Priest when he first came cut the number of EMHC down.. and we did that for a time.. at least a good 6 months. And then he changed it back because there were so many older people having problems with the length of the lines for communion.. as in physical problems not "it's not what we're used to" problems So I guess they have to take into account more than just the numbers of people.

And I think you need to do what you think is right rather than what others expect. And you don't have to explain everything to anyone. I know there are those who think that "a shortage of boys" is not a good reason for girls to serve.. but not everyone lives in small communities where there's just not the sheer numbers of people to provide those boys. I'm sure most here would find it mind boggling that we have a single Mass on Sunday in town. There are mission churches in outlying areas (min. 30 minute hwy drive to get there) that have Mass as well but here in town there is no vigil Mass and only one Sunday morning Mass AND the church is not crowded in the least... not even on Christmas or Easter.. though with both of those there's an extra Mass.. either a Vigil Mass or Midnight Mass for Christmas and the Vigil Mass for Easter.

Anyway, that's getting off the subject. The point was that you are there and you know what the situation is like. So don't let others who may not have as full of a grasp on the situation change your mind. Or for that matter those that refuse to understand your reasons.. those I would think would be the "casting pearls before swine".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

Thanks ladies
Where should I look to find out what the church teaches? The Catechism? I don't have a copy yet.

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Catechism online Here's the Catechism for free!    

I know there are other sources to help with understanding the roles of EMHCs, but when I did it, I was given them and don't have them anymore.

Loren
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Loren

Tricia, when I have a question about Church documents, I can usually find an answer on the forums at Catholic Answers. I would suggest doing a search before posting a question, because this, especially, is a topic that comes up often.

http://forums.catholic.com

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I am not comfortable with the overuse of EMHCs, in general. And with women more specifically. I confess, I make a particular effort to receive from a priest or a deacon...

My dds will not be permitted to be at the altar, although I will encourage my boys to do so. There are PLENTY of ways for a lady to help the Church without being in either of those roles.

But that is just me, and I know it is not everyone's opinion (and it is one I generally keep to myself).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

One extra thing to consider...one of my friends became an extraordinary minister so that she can bring Holy Communion home to her mom (who is very frail) and others like her. There is a lot more to this ministry than distributing Holy Communion at Mass.

I don't agree that special ministers are unnecessary, mainly because there are only a few priests per parish (if you're lucky!) and there are many people who are homebound and in the hospital who would so love to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion. Priests and deacons can't be everywhere, and some of us are called to bring Holy Communion to the homebound faithful. (I am not one, although I have served in this capacity in the past.)

Please prayerfully consider where you can best serve in this ministry. You are needed!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version