Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Alternative to Loveliness Fairs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 11 2008 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Ladies,

I know many of you have enjoyed the wonderful Loveliness (and Simply Lovely) Fairs over the last couple of years. Since we are on a bit of a hiatus from those fairs at the present time, I wanted to make you all aware of a lovely option that is along those same lines. As you may know already, several members here are contributors for the Catholic Cuisine blog. This fall the blog is hosting a series of From Thy Bounty Fairs highlighting the autumn feasts and fruits of the harvest. We hope you will all join us in these fairs. It's a great opportunity to give a glimpse into your culinary celebrations of the upcoming feasts. Please join us – we look forward to your participation and sharing.

Upcoming From Thy Bounty Fair Schedule:

Triumph of the Cross (September 15): The cross is a very basic shape and one easily incorporated into cooking and table decorating. This fair will be held right after the feast day. Share what you did to celebrate the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross. How did you make the feast and symbol come alive in your Catholic kitchen? Michele will be the hostess. Please submit your link or pictures by 9/14.

Angels: Our Guardians and Defenders (September 29): Angels are honored in two big feasts within a few days of each other – the Feast of the Archangels (9/29) and Memorial of the Guardian Angels (10/2). Share how you are celebrating either or both of these feast days. What are you doing to make this memorable and visible for your family? Do you have special symbolic foods or meals for these days? Jenn will be the hostess.

The Fruits of Our Harvest (October 13): How do you give thanks? What do you do with the bounties of your harvest? Whether you grow your own, shop at he farmer’s market, visit the orchard, or hunt the land you are benefiting from the bounties of God’s creation. Let's share our recipes, ideas, and thoughts on the bounties that God provides. Mary will be the hostess.

Hallowed Days: All Saints and All Souls (October 27): Florence Berger writes in Cooking for Christ: “The doctrine of the mystical body unites all Christians to their Master, and one with the other in God's kingdom here on earth. As the branches have their source in the vine, so with Christ we have been bound together for growth and fruition.” The Feasts of All Saints Day (preceded by All Hallows Eve) and All Souls tie together and help us remember the Church Militant, the Church Suffering, and the Church Triumphant. These days offer many unique traditions and celebrations. Share how you feast any of these days? What do you do to fill your tables with the traditions of these hallowed days? Jessica will be the hostess.

Holiday Foods and Feasts (November 10): Thanksgiving and Christmas are days associated with feasting and celebration. Each family has traditional foods and festivities. Please share your thoughts, suggestions, menus, and recipes for these big feasts so we’ll be well prepared to enjoy them. Amy will be the hostess.

The Bounty of St. Nicholas (December 1): St. Nicholas Day provides a bit of special festivity early in the waiting weeks of Advent. There are so many wonderful culinary traditions from around the world honoring this saint. How is St. Nicholas honored and remembered in your hearth and home? Do you have special treats or food ideas for celebrating this feast day? Mary will be the hostess.

To participate in the fairs please send a link to your post by the deadline date to the hostess indicated, leave a message in the comments section of the Catholic Cuisine blog, or PM us here. You don’t need to have a blog – you can participate by sending pictures or ideas to the hostess for inclusion. I'll add submission deadlines as I get them for each fair.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2008 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Mary this sounds so very interesting.. but I guess maybe I need to see what you're talking about because I'm not quite sure how it works..hmmm I guess what the end product looks like?

Is there somewhere this or something like this has been done so that I can see what you're talking about? I don't blog and I think perhaps that's where I'm lost on what's going on.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2008 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jodie, here is a link to the fair we did in Spring - First Communion Celebrations. People who have blogs can write a post about celebrating the event/feast day and we link it in an article on Catholic Cuisine. As you see in this example we did have a submission from a non-blogger. We posted her recipe. We can also post pictures that are submitted. The fair is just a fun way to compile a variety of ideas on a topic all in one place - in this case liturgical year celebrations and food.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2008 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thanks Mary.. seeing it really helped understand it so much better. I'll have to keep this in mind. I love sharing traditions and recipes and such.. and we have quite the full celebratory year this year with my newest being baptised this Sunday and then my oldest recieving confirmation just before Thanksgiving.. and one of the ones in the middle recieves First Communion this spring.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version