Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: want to start knitting-- Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

OK I am interested in learning how to knit. to give my nervous hands something to do, so I don't feel guilty sitting and watching a movie---LOL--

actually I learned to knit as a little girl, but just the basic knitting--tube dresses for barbies and etc. And it's been a looooooonnnnnng time.

so I have the book from Melanie Falick from the library, and it looks great! But,

what size/type of needles do I buy? for myself, and for my 9 year old son & later upcoming daughter?

and what is the best yarn to buy? I'm into natural fibers, but there is a dizzying array . . .

thanks for any help!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 01 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

yeah~knitting. i will advise my personal approach, but there are many. i would suggest a thicker needle such as a 9 or 10, and get a skein or two of something a bit chunky. they can help you with that at the yarn store. the thicker needles just seem easir to work with to me when starting out, and th chunky yarn is a bit easier to manage. and whatever you are knitting will finish faster, and that is oh so satisfying~
good luck!
lisa

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

My local yarn store (at the time) told me to get a pattern for something I really wanted to make. From experience, she had learned that if the new knitter wanted that particular item, she woudl be more invested in learning how to knit it. I chose mittens for my then 2yo dds. They were purple, and I still have them. Choose something you love, and go for it!
My second project was socks. Dh's grandmother asked me if turning the heel had given me fits, but since I didn't know it was supposed to be hard, I just followed the pattern and did it.
Do you have a yarn store nearby? They are always very helpful. Also, Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitting Without Tears" has helped a lot of people learn to knit, and without tears!
Good luck-you can do it!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Angela, here are 2 blog posts I did a little over a year ago which might help you a bit ... both for resources and for a bit of "you can do it" cheerleading

1. great books and resources for starting out
2. easy pattern that's alot of fun

Also, know that what you will start with (needle and yarn wise) might not be what your son needs. My 8yod needs slender needles for her long skinny fingers while my 9yos needs fat needles and thick yarn as he's not as adept with hand-coordination yet.

I'll try to put together a longer post tomorrow.

Blessings and enjoy the knitting ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Angela, my book also has some great beginning lessons ....

and I'm always just a pm away for any knitting help you might need!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

thank you for sharing!

Mary, the backpack pattern looks very appealing :)
Maybe I will buy size 10 needles based on that pattern! Because it is more appealing/motivating than many of the projects I've seen in beginning books! But I have to say the beautiful colors of fibers and yarn appeal to me----I think this year I would like to explore the fiber arts in general. I've done a lot with paints and paper, but something about natural fabrics and wool, the colors can seem so---rich, or something. Not flat.

but I think first I will try making simple square washcloths, for ds and me. I was thinking these might make nice xmas gifts, along with some "washy squashy" soap creations . . .. And I found pretty colored cotton yarn "sugar and cream" yarn very inexpensive at the local walmart. But is a size 10 needle too big for washcloths?? I am also concerned, will they shrink in the wash and become tiny?? I want them to be usable.

I put the book suggestions in my amazon cart, in case I do really get into this! For now I'll check at the library for "knitting w/o tears." Mary your blog post was interesting. When I knit as a girl I would get very frustrated because the finished project would have holes, be very uneven, etc. I had this doll I tried to knit and sew together for years and years---it was so ugly, nothing like what I'd pictured in my mind---but so much work that I had to keep it! But then, I was a girl. Then when I tried to knit about 12 (?) years ago the woman teaching me was very insistant that I held my fingers all wrong, etc.--again got discouraged. BTW knitting was much more popular and common in Europe, with teens and women, not an "old lady" thing there!

No knit shop anywhere close to here. So thanks for answering questions!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Angela,

One thing you might think about doing is making your size 10 needles:

Quote:
(from a knitting elective I teach)
Make Your Own Knitting Needles
(modified from Kids Knitting, by Melanie Falick)

Materials:
     2 or more colors polymer clay (Sculpey works great)
     1/4-inch or 3/16-inch dowel cut into two 10-inch lengths
     pencil sharpener
     fine-grit sandpaper
     mineral oil
     craft glue

Note: a 1/4 inch dowel will make a size 10 needle and a 3/16 inch dowel will make a size 8 needle. Any size dowel can be used, but smaller ones tend to break and larger ones are hard to use.

STEP 1 -- To make the needle ends:
1.     preheat oven to 250 degrees for clay
2.     choose a main color of clay and roll into a 1/2 inch ball. Don't make the ball too large or it will weigh down the needle. Repeat for 2nd ball.
3.     break off bits of 2nd color and press tiny dots onto larger balls. Roll them around and around until you have a nice smooth ball.
4.     press each ball onto 1 end of each dowel piece. I flattened my balls so that the needles wouldn't roll when on their sides -- you can make any shape you want.
5.     lay dowels on baking dish (such as a pyrex pan) so ball hangs over; place in oven, making sure balls do not touch oven shelf.
6.     bake according to clay directions -- about 30 minutes for Sculpey.
7.     cool about 10 minutes. Remove balls from dowels and set aside while you work with dowels.

STEP 2 -- To make needles:
1.     using the pencil sharpener, sharpen one end of each dowel until tip is as pointy as a dull pencil. You can make double-pointed needles by sharpening both ends!
2.     rub each dowel with sandpaper until very smooth, making sure that each point is dull. All rough spots need to be sanded off, else yarn will stick to needle.
3.     with a paper towel or clean rag, rub the dowels with mineral oil until shiny and extra smooth. Replace clay balls, using glue to secure clay to flat end of dowel.

You can use anything for the end of your needle to keep the stitches from falling-off – an acorn cap, bead, rubber band, etc. The importat thing is that it doesn’t catch on your yarn but does hold the yarn on the needle.

These needles are fun to make and the kids (and I) get such a sense of accomplishment that we're knitting with our own needles!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version