Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Bean soup Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We have been ordering from Angel Food Ministries the last couple of months. This month we got nine boxes which included nine bags of Bean Soup Mix. (basically, mixed dry beans in a bag)

I don't do beans. Can someone give me some ideas for recipes? My daughters soaked them overnight last night, but had no plan for what to do with them next.

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't care for the bean mixes.. but didn't want to leave you without help here..

I would at the least cook the beans.. once they've soaked you don't want to leave them setting. Once they're cooked you can use them or freeze them.

I know you don't have to get elaborate.. just some seasoning.. maybe a ham bone tossed in while they cook. Definately season with salt but not until the beans have cooked and are soft.

I use just plain pinto beans for our "bean soup" and it's just beans and chopped onion and maybe a ham bone in the water and cook until soft.. then add salt and since we tend to like a mexican flavor to them I will add some cumin and oregano. But I will serve those beans in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese on top and a tortilla on the side.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'd suggest salad, or soup like Jodie says.

Salad = toss with a bit of olive oil, then any seasonings you have; chopped onion, garlic, herbs if you have them. Lemon juice if you like a bit of tang, or a splash of vinegar. Salt and pepper. If you have a sausage or two you can slice them up, fry them and toss them in as well.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We've fallen in love with beans in a pasta salad for a light dinner in the warmer months. Add any pasta, 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinaigrette, 1 pouch of the dry italian dressing (the kind you get in the salad dressing aisle to make your own ital. dressing), as many beans as you have, thawed frozen sweet corn and thawed or fresh sweet green peas are great addtions too.

It's our favorite summer meal.

We add cooked beans to taco salad, spaghetti, roasts, chili, any soup to stretch the meat (or substitute for meat altogether).

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

You could teach a little kid sorting....

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Rachel May wrote:
You could teach a little kid sorting....

Well, I have eight more bags, so that's an idea!

My dd8 is planning on Stone Soup for dinner. Should be interesting. Dh is thrilled.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Don't want to hijack the thread - but that ministry is exactly what Brian and I have been wanting to do with Loaves and Fishes! Very cool! now, if we could just find Catholic families who wanted to host... It would be awesome!

Looks like a great program, Molly - you're very blessed.

Blessings,

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

snowbabiesmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote snowbabiesmom

Molly! We love beans here.. ( I love the crockpot!) we serve beans once a week with steamed rice. I soak the dry beans ( We alternate black and pinto) overnight, rinse and then fill with water in the crockpot. I cook for 10 hours with kosher salt, chopped onions, garlic... sometimes to turn it into a soup with diced tomatoes, chopped celery, a ham bone and other flavorful things! Good luck!!

Nico'13;Zelie Oct'14, *Mary Joseph Jan'16
God's Canvas
Back to Top View snowbabiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by snowbabiesmom Visit snowbabiesmom's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2008 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

One tip I've learned when cooking dried beans: don't add tomatoes until the beans are tender, or they can tend to stay tough. You can do a quick version instead of soaking overnight but I can't remeber all the steps...it involves bringing them to a boil, letting them sit for a period of time, then reboiling. When we have bean mixtures, we like to add different seasonings, for variety, and perhaps add chopped onion, shredded carrot or celery. If we have it, I'll add a little diced ham, bits of bacon, or a little cooked ground beef, but generally we rely on beans alone for protein. Biscuits, cornbread or homemade bread can be a nice addition with bean soups. I've heard that rinsing the beans after they boil the first time can reduce the amount of gas they tend to produce, but am not sure of the reliability of that suggestion. I do notice the more often we eat beans the less anyone seems to experience any after-effects! :) Hope your Stone Soup is a hit...children learning to cook is one of our absolute favorite homeschooling subjects!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version