Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Christmas Gifts? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Alright, I know it isn't even autumn yet, but I need to start putting together a plan for Christmas presents. My goal is to make every gift that will go to someone outside this home and to make most of the gifts for the people that live in my own home. I know I won't make everything for my kids because we often use Christmas to give the kids stuff they need (books, big toys, that kind of stuff)

I plan to knit a pair of socks for our sibs and their spouses and all the kids, but I want to do a little more for our parents and my godfather. And there is also dance teachers and catechists to consider. I think I'll make a big batch of Elizabeth's herbal salve for everyone too.

Do any of the rest of you have any plans yet? Do you have any great ideas that really "wow" the recipients? I am feeling so creative right now, I'd really love an infusion of fresh ideas.

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I was just thinking the other day of making some "pretty" cloth shopping bags.

I've had homemade/canned foods get a nice reception.. once I canned a (vegetarian) speghetti sauce (with directions to add meat if desired) and packaged that up with an inexpensive bottle of wine, a small pack of noodles and some homemade biscotti.

Another time I did the biscuit in a jar (all the dry ingredients with the directions to make them.. a mix I guess) and a jar of home canned soup (again vegetarian.. meat has to can so long).

homemade apple pie filling is usually a hit as well.

And the more typical treats and jams and jellies.. oh an spice mixes.. they loved getting some homemade Emeril's seasoning mix.

I like doing a gift "basket" I guess.. it lets me put together things like the speghetti dinner.. where I make some and buy some.. and get a nice collective gift out of it.

My dh has elk tags this year.. I figure if he actually gets an elk.. everyone will like some meat from it.. and if I make the shopping bags then they'll go together

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I did homemade spice rubs last year and I was surprised at how well they were received. I blogged about the recipes here and there is a picture of the labeled jars here. The labels were made with some borrowed scrapbooking supplies. I am SO NOT crafty with that sort of thing but computer-printed labels, some pretty paper, and a circular cutting tool and they came out great. A few people asked what shop I'd bought them at.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I plan to can some blueberry syrup and give with a batch of pancake mix (homemade) for some gifts. I've already knitted osme dish clothes and matching hot pads for a few. I really like the idea of spice rubs, Susan. May I borrow that from you?
This year we have have to ship almost every gift since we won't be going back "home" for the holidays, so I need to be creative with lightweight gifts. Shipping was a killer last year!

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

JodieLyn wrote:
I was just thinking the other day of making some "pretty" cloth shopping bags.

This is what I'm doing for all the ladies in our family.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I was given some great ideas when I asked for help with my homemade Chistmas. I don't think it too early at all. Look forward to hearing some more ideas.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I've started painting toy sets already for Christmas and canned some spiced peaches early in the summer when I could get them fresh here. I think I'm going to do huge Mason jars filled with ELizabeth's granola (recipe is on her kitchen blog)and add dried cranberries and candied pecans for friends, neighbors, co-workers.
I'm still trying to think through God-children, parents, and what I want to do for my own kids. But at least I've begun, right?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Steal away, Liz!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

ooooooooh I love topics like this, I am totally feeling in the same mode! and I don't know about you all, but it's been so COLD here--I'm in my warmest fleece right now, and I have been refusing to turn on the heat since it was just August!! Praying praying praying for at least one tomato to ripen!!

OK, I gave granola one year and everyone laughed at me , maybe you've gotta have the right "granola-type" of family, LOL!

One year I made biscotti and gave with some good coffee, this was well received. I THINK I used a recipe for chocolate-dipped lemon biscotti from "Death by chocolate cookies" from the lib. (not sure, this was about 10 year ago), I made a 2nd kind of biscotti too but the lemon ones were the total hit. I'm actually considering recycling this idea this year!

One year I painted craft-store simple aprons for the grandmas with children's handprints on them in an xmas tree pattern---I think the idea is on the family fun website---these are treasured and used each year.

Last year we made rolled beeswax candles from a magic cabin kit. A few weeks after xmas I found the box----we never sent them!! They have made pretty and unique birthday cake toppers through the year however, LOL! It was a fun kit and very easy to use. We used the "brights" vs. just holiday colors.

I embroidered dishtowels with a simple xmas applique one year, I see these used during holidays as well.

Onto this year----w/the kids we are thinking of learning knitting/weaving, and either doing dishclothes + some little soaps made of "washy squashy" clay, OR maybe little woven coasters tied in a bundle to give to relatives. Or fridge magnets made from little glass circles---I'm not sure yet. Depends on how the knitting goes!

For my children, I am thinking of making a set of felt hand-puppets and a doorway theater for the younger two. For the teenager--??? I have no idea what he would appreciate that is handmade, but I have put together for him a gift bag of his favorite snacks (teriyaki jerky, smoked almonds, etc.) and he always likes that. Especially if I throw in an i-tunes gift card or sporting even tickets . . .! I'm also leaning more towards giving the family experiences, rather than gifts---we just have too much stuff.

For youngers---one year I made my son a knight's tunic and cape. The tunic was literally a big rectangle with a hole in the middle, and storebought binding sewn around the edges, and a cut out fabric/fusible web dragon ironed onto the front, which eventually peeled off. This had to be one of the most loved and used gifts EVER. It is in shreds now, from the two boys using it over the years! I'm considering making my little girl a kind of tutu-skirt, though I can only make so many gifts, we'll see . . . ! Homemade sets of doll clothes, or a doll blankie and pillow/etc. also appeal to me, because I had sets---STILL have sets!---of handmade doll and barbie clothes from my grandma, and they were so much nicer than the storebought things! I bet they were a lot of work though!

IMO the Family Fun website has some wonderful ideas for gifts for kids. Martha has some very neat and classy homemade gift ideas, too. Maybe I'll go browse those sites right now . . .

And then besides the homemade stuff I always use the holidays as an excuse to buy the kids some special books. I'm not sure how much they appreciate this, but they are the kind of books to keep and pass down, favorites from my own childhood or their absolute favorites from the library. I also buy one or two special xmas book/s per year.

as I said I love this topic . . . !

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2008 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

Tutu skirts are easy and no sew. You just get some rope and 3-4 yards of tulle. Cut the tulle into strips, tie onto the rope. My friend made some for a party, and my girls love them and they are going strong. I can post a pic if you want to see how they look.

I made italian seasoning one year, we were totally broke. My family all laughed at me. Now, they get nothing. We no longer exchange gifts :(
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

lkselby
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote lkselby

I am making felt puppets this year for a few of the younger children in the family.

I am using the book "Successful Puppet Making" by Valerie Bendt. She has three sets of patterns for animals: "on the farm", "in the woods", "in the jungle." She also has book suggestions for each animal and each set of animals. I'm thinking a book with some puppets. How many puppets depends on how fast it goes

editing to add link: http://www.valeriebendt.com/SuccessfulPuppetMaking.aspx
Back to Top View lkselby's Profile Search for other posts by lkselby

mama251ders
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote mama251ders

Oh! Puppets! That is such a good idea! I'll have to look into that!

Blessings,
Betsie

Back to Top View mama251ders's Profile Search for other posts by mama251ders

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote florasita

I am making marionettes again too I made them about 3 yrs back and they were such a big hit . We had so much fun Christmas day putting on little skits . I want to try and make a giraffe for some reason and maybe the holy family .
   I also make scented bath salts really easy just add essential oils , rose petals orange peel etc. I usually like to give dried seeds too but I had a misreable turn out for seeds this fall .
   I am not a make food for gifts person so this is my goal for this yr. I do make a great Christmas cake but most of the younger crowd do not like it .
I have decided on fudge just good old fashioned oatmeal fudge my gramma made .Homemade gifts are so much fun and I do not feel the stress I am used to when dh seems to feel we need to do a shop till you drop kind of Christmas . I hope to avoid those forever more .
Much Love , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version